PDA

View Full Version : First Jaques now Ward!!

Wheel-Nut
10-09-03, 12:02 PM
LINK (http://sports.iwon.com/news/10082003/v7378.html)

Doesn't Bill Davis realize that by releasing Ward you not only add a driver to the unemployment line but also an interpreter!!

FRANKY
10-09-03, 12:18 PM
Ward has wanted to leave for some time, he will find employment, where as Jaques... may only find humility.

pchall
10-09-03, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by FRANKY
... Jaques... may only find humility.

Humility? He speaks French -- for chrissakes -- and there is no concept for that in the language.

cart7
10-09-03, 12:34 PM
Wards great for nothing other than that deep Virginia accent. Hope he hooks up something for next year.

FRANKY
10-09-03, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by cart7
Wards great for nothing other than that deep Virginia accent. Hope he hooks up something for next year.

I think Haas has signed him for Nextell Cup next year.

Wheel-Nut
10-09-03, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by cart7
Wards great for nothing other than that deep Virginia accent. . . . .

Ain't that the truth!

Jonezzy_33
10-10-03, 01:54 AM
Everytime I hear Ward he cracks me up.

JT265
10-10-03, 08:58 AM
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad's a cool dood.

lone_groover
10-10-03, 11:44 AM
Robert McNeill explained the accent in his PBS series, THE STORY OF ENGLISH.

I'm no cunning linguist, so I'll explain it as I remember it.

Essentially, two strains of English came to the colonies during the 17th century. One came with the colonists that depated from Plymouth. This was the Scotch-Irish/West Country-sounding accent that developed into Southern "American". If you've ever heard Arthur C. Clarke, (luv that "Glass Skull" show!), he has the prototypical West Counties accent that sounds almost USAmerican. Graham Chapman does that accent in the "FLYING SHEEP" sketch, too.

The other accent came to New England and Virginia from East Anglia via the port of Norfolk. They pronouce their "R"s as AHHZ and sound more "ENGLISH" to our earz. This developed into the that queer "BOSTON" accent.

It's no coincidence that that the Burtons come from South Boston, Va.

:)

Jonezzy_33
10-10-03, 01:26 PM
Remember last year at Bristol when he got ticked at Jr. and threw his heel guards or something at his car? That interview afterwards was great...:rofl:

Ed_Severson
10-10-03, 02:12 PM
I'm not enthralled with the accent, but it does impress me that he's given so many interviews and his lips have never moved.

Never has the recital of the phrase "the Caterpillar car was awesome today" been so exciting to witness as when the esteemed Ward Burton mumbled it.

Andrew Longman
10-10-03, 05:40 PM
I've never understood why Ward and Jeff don't have the same accent.

Ward certainly has that gentile Virginia cavalier sound (reminds me of the scholar Shelby Foote), while Jeff has your basic Southern redneck twang. (no insult meant there I am proudly friends with many proud southern redneck. OTOH they may not be proud of me).