PDA

View Full Version : History question

JLMannin
10-08-03, 12:51 PM
This is something I have wondered about far a while.

When was the last time:

a car hauled into IMS on an open trailer qualified for the 500
a car hauled into IMS on an open trailer won the 500

I seem to remember seeing pictures of Gordon Johncock's 1973 car on an open trailer, and I do not know when "transporters" became standard fare.

Thanks.

cart7
10-08-03, 01:06 PM
I believe I heard at least one Dick Simon effort in the early 90's was on an open trailer. I'll defer to Railbird though.

pchall
10-08-03, 03:09 PM
Didn't BiF trailer Buddy's ride across the street and into the garages behind the Gremlin in 1996?

Methanolandbrats
10-08-03, 03:19 PM
They probably flat-bedded some in for the 96 race. Seriously.

Cam
10-08-03, 03:24 PM
I know a lot of them left on a flat-bed in '96.:eek:

Yeah yeah. (Score -1: Obvious) :p

Lizzerd
10-08-03, 03:51 PM
In the first half of the last century (maybe even into the '50's), most if not all of the cars were driven to the race right from the backyard mechanic's garage.

nz_climber
10-08-03, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
In the first half of the last century (maybe even into the '50's), most if not all of the cars were driven to the race right from the backyard mechanic's garage.

The only reason the earl doesn't drive the cars to the races now is the drivers wouldn't be seen dead in that ugly crapwagon on the open road :D :D

Railbird
10-08-03, 09:13 PM
Kind of a funny deal with the cars there for two or three weeks and many of the teams located in Indy. While the big teams might use 5thwheels for the short hops, the open trailer is still not completely out of the picture for shuttling to and from the shop for the smaller teams.

I'm thinking 99 or 00 was the last time I actually saw a team unloading for the month out of a box van and an open trailer.

The "crew chief" was some dude I knew.

it was scary.

In '95, when the entry was still huge, some of the participants had a decided "club racer" look.

Indy was at it's best when you had a highroller with the best exclusionary equipment and some dreamer with a turbo rambler garaged right next to each other.