PDA

View Full Version : BAR will announce lineup Tuesday

devilmaster
10-07-03, 02:21 AM
The assumption is Sato. If it is, expect JV to possibly be out of the car now, and Sato drive in the final race in Japan.

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=56330&hubName=auto_racing

Steve

Dirty Sanchez
10-07-03, 09:48 AM
Sato in. Its official. JV is still expected to participate at Suzuka.

RaceChic
10-07-03, 10:04 AM
It's looking more and more like JV will end up in ALMS which is okay by me if it's not F1. :D

Wheel-Nut
10-07-03, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Crapus
Sato in. Its official. JV is still expected to participate at Suzuka.

Participate in what role, grid girl?

Dirty Sanchez
10-07-03, 10:35 AM
I wonder if Pollock is going to be in Mex. City or in Suzuka with his big box of Kleen-ex? :laugh:

RaceChic
10-07-03, 12:25 PM
I can't believe they are taking this Takuma Sato over Jacques. :shakehead
Think it has anything to do with Honda and it being the Japanese engine manufacturer that it is??? :rolleyes:

Quote:
"BAR boss David Richards is quoted in this month's F1 magazine as saying while Villeneuve remains one of the sports biggest personalities, his icon status is greater than his reputation.

"It's been a terrible few years for him. It really has knocked the stuffing out of him. I believe the talent is still there. People don't lose their talent overnight."

If JV had the stuffing knocked out of him, it's because the cars that BAR put on the grid week after week are unreliable. How can you keep your motivation high this way? How can you achieve anything if your F1 car hardly ever sees a checkered flag? Give me a break. :(

It blows my mind that after JV struggles with this team since its inception, that he gets the boot like this. I know people think JV settled completely for the almighty $$$, but even Frank Williams tried to help him get a ride because he felt he had been ill advised over the years. BAR, in my opinion, will NOT fare any better with new drivers in the car. They have to consistently finish. How can things get better by taking a veteran out of the car and putting in a rookie?! :cry:

Okay..... Rant over. :D
I feel MUCH better. ;)

chop456
10-07-03, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
How can things get better by taking a veteran out of the car and putting in a rookie?! :cry:

Saving about $20,000,000 per year, for one thing.

oddlycalm
10-07-03, 02:21 PM
After spending $2 billion without being able to field a remotely competitive car, their solution is to fire the driver because he costs too much....? :rofl:

Honda has become an embarrassment. If BAR really wanted to score points next season their best chance is to tell Honda to take a walk, take Sato with them, and make whatever deal they can for this years BMW or Ilmor engines.

oc

Dr. Corkski
10-07-03, 02:28 PM
At least Sato tries hard (often too hard) all the time, instead of collecting a fat paycheck and only bothering when the cruise control works.

Dirty Sanchez
10-07-03, 02:36 PM
JV has already established that he can't beat Button. Time to look for a #2 that can produce. :p Sato does try hard.

And, oh yeah, losing the price tag doesn't hurt.

RaceChic
10-07-03, 05:28 PM
I just feel that he wasted some of his best years. Hard for him to stay motivated at BAR I'm sure. We won't have a Canadian in F1 now. That in of itself makes me very sad today. :(

They will save a lot of $$$ losing his salary, no doubt. Hard to tell what came first, the chicken or the egg. Did JV settle because he became complacent in his ride at BAR and comfy with his salary??? Or did he get discouraged and lose his motivation because of the POS that the BAR cars are????

I'm sure plenty of people have their own ideas on it.

If the team doesn't improve with the extra free $$$ associated with dumping JV and his salary, then I don't know what to say after that. :(

Ankf00
10-07-03, 06:55 PM
Sato has as much to do with Honda and a BAR ride as JV being "canadian" had to do with Bernie helping him land w/ Williams.

and Sato's going to be more financially efficient for a team w/o free funding anymore.

question though, where is this "$2 billion" number from? over 5 years given ferrari's supposed 400 mil budget, that'd total to 2 bil over 5 years...

Dr. Corkski
10-07-03, 07:02 PM
Shouldn't the extra $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ BAR was throwing at JVil to lure him away from Sir Frankie be enough to motivate him? ;)

RaceChic
10-07-03, 07:04 PM
Just so you know where I was coming from, Ankf00..... my thoughts about Sato, are from hearing over and over again from my fellow CART fans all over the place things like Shinji Nakano got his ride from Fernandez Racing because he brought Honda $$$ with him. Or Cristiano da Matta getting his ride with F1's Toyota team because he had a relationship with them in CART. Just brainstorming and throwing a few thoughts out there. :D

Ankf00
10-07-03, 07:14 PM
Just so you know where I was coming from, Ankf00..... my thoughts about Sato, are from hearing over and over again from my fellow CART fans all over the place things like Shinji Nakano got his ride from Fernandez Racing because he brought Honda $$$ with him. Or Cristiano da Matta getting his ride with F1's Toyota team because he had a relationship with them in CART. Just brainstorming and throwing a few thoughts out there. :D

sato's being pushed because he's a Honda man who's won british f3, the formula regarded as the ultimate breeding ground of champions, senna mansell and hakkinen might come to mind when thinking of former british f3 champions.
JVil wanked out with italian f3, sato blistered through british f3, sato's 1/10 the cost. he's japanese and honda has influence and he profits from it, same as JVil profited from name and canadian heritage.

RaceChic
10-07-03, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Ankf00
sato's being pushed because he's a Honda man who's won british f3, the formula regarded as the ultimate breeding ground of champions, senna mansell and hakkinen might come to mind when thinking of former british f3 champions.
JVil wanked out with italian f3, sato blistered through british f3, sato's 1/10 the cost. he's japanese and honda has influence and he profits from it, same as JVil profited from name and canadian heritage.

Fair enough.

Jacques Villeneueve has more to him than simply his name and Canadian heritage. He has won the Indy500 (when it was still PPG), the Toyota Atlantic Championship, the CART PPG championship, and the Formula One championship. He has accomplishments their own rights bode well for him. If these aren't worth anything, then I guess CART is not worth much as a breeding ground for champions. ;)

Ankf00
10-07-03, 07:41 PM
Fair enough.

Jacques Villeneueve has more to him than simply his name and Canadian heritage. He has won the Indy500 (when it was still PPG), the Toyota Atlantic Championship, the CART PPG championship, and the Formula One championship. He has accomplishments their own rights bode well for him. If these aren't worth anything, then I guess CART is not worth much as a breeding ground for champions. ;)

the 500's a circle race, who cares who wins that when you're talking f1 potential, CART championship, yes, but far more dominating champions of F1 have come from f3.uk than from CART, not to mention the age at which drivers ascend from each circuit. With atlantics, again... a good feeder, but the history of dominating champions isn't there, Keke Rosberg and Villeneuve and what? are you going to take an argentine formula ford champion as seriously as a european f-renault champion? and there's JV's WDC in the most dominating car of that 2 year period. so when it comes to getting that first ride w/ williams, name and country w/ bernie mattered a heck of alot more in the wake of the wankdretti '93 episode...

it's all about maximizing efficiency, something which Sato allows, disregarding the above, the potential is further along as well seeing as JVil's hitting 30/31 and Sato's still a "kid."

if JVil can find success again, cool, but don't tell me that Sato is somehow less deserving of the seat because he's Japanese and hasn't won the Indy 500.

JT265
10-07-03, 08:56 PM
Jacques never won an Atlantic Championship RC. David Empringham done the deed the year that Jacques was there.

(sorry) ;)

RaceChic
10-07-03, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Jacques never won an Atlantic Championship RC. David Empringham done the deed the year that Jacques was there.
(sorry) ;)

Well there ya go!!! That explains everything. My bad. :D :p

Ankf00
10-08-03, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by JT265

(sorry) ;)

hey you're not supposed to fix misinformation when it's on YOUR side ;)

JT265
10-08-03, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Ankf00
hey you're not supposed to fix misinformation when it's on YOUR side ;)

Indeed. Well then, let the record show that JV is God-like. Why, just one touch of his hand while he was a wee lad cured my chronic bed-wetting, and warned me NEVER to shave a #3 in the hair on my back.

Regardless of who was driving the #3. ;)