PDA

View Full Version : Manual /Auto

nz_climber
10-06-03, 03:24 PM
I was told the other day that you mericians don't like the whole idea of manual shifting... so just doing a poll :)

I myself love manual, as driving is boring with out it :D

And Im talking about road cars not race cars ;)

nissan gtp
10-06-03, 03:39 PM
i have never owned an automatic (transmision car that is)... I would like to try the BMW SMG ....

current count: 3 rear-wheel drive, 1 AWD, all manual.... :thumbup:

racer2c
10-06-03, 03:40 PM
I have a 5 speed, in my sporty car, although I wish it were a six.

I also have a pick up with an automatic that I tow our horse trailer with. I wouldn't want a manual in that.

I put a B & M short throw kit on my already short throw shifter and I cut an inch off of my shift handle. My total throw is about two inches for each gear! Snick, snick!

Warlock!
10-06-03, 03:49 PM
I gots bofe 'em...

Warlock!

cart7
10-06-03, 03:56 PM
Manual in my truck though I miss an auto when stuck in traffic.

Cam
10-06-03, 04:06 PM
I have automatic... With the traffic around here my foot would be ON the clutch more than off if I had a manual, which I would prefer. The car before this was a 4 speed, but I also drove about 1/2 as far each day as I do now. :shakehead

Treeface
10-06-03, 04:19 PM
My all time favorite radio spot was for Chevrolet Geo Metro. The tag line was a young woman saying: "Guys like a girl who know how to drive a stick."

:rofl: :thumbup:

RacinM3
10-06-03, 04:24 PM
Our stable has two manuals and one slushbox. Neither of our manual-gearbox cars were available with an automatic.

Napoleon
10-06-03, 04:33 PM
Never have owned a car with an automatic transmission and never will. The truck I own is a differant story, its an auto.

nz_climber
10-06-03, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by racer2c
I have a 5 speed, in my sporty car, although I wish it were a six.

I also have a pick up with an automatic that I tow our horse trailer with. I wouldn't want a manual in that.

Yeah I wish for 6 as well as my car rev's quiet high in 5th and cruzing just over the speed limit,

Don't really agree with an auto when towing thou... I have had a little bit of time behind and auto tow a trailer and hated it changing up and down all the time for no reason, even with OD off, would rather a manual that I could control..

lone_groover
10-06-03, 04:42 PM
Automatic for the people!

Last stick was in my '88 GTI-16V.

:)

Don Quixote
10-06-03, 04:50 PM
Manual only for me. Have you noticed that pickups now seem to come only in automatic? I had to buy mine out of state to get a manual transmission.

FCYTravis
10-06-03, 04:52 PM
Give me a five-on-the-floor or give me death!

Well, a six-on-the-floor would work too, but you get the idea.

My mother is proud of the fact that she's never owned a car with an automatic transmission, and, unless her left leg falls off, never will. Five cars and every one of them's had a manual gearbox - including her latest, a BMW 325Ci.

She passed her slushbox-hating (and her five-speed Geo) down to me ;)

RichK
10-06-03, 04:59 PM
Stick for the fun car, and automatic for the tow vehicle (there wasn't a choice, but I'm very happy with the auto --> left foot braking practice!)

Kiwifan
10-06-03, 05:36 PM
I drive an Auto but for pure driving pleasure....the 'ol stick shift for me. :)

Rusty.

Sean O'Gorman
10-06-03, 05:53 PM
My MR2 is a 5-speed and my Civic is a 4-speed. I doubt I'll ever own an automatic, maybe if I ever needed a truck. Since I transferred to Cleveland State, I have to drive downtown every day in rush hour, and I don't have a real comfortable clutch pedal (its in wierd placement compared to the brake, IMO) on the MR2, so I'm really hating driving stick lately except for when I'm autocrossing. The perfect solution would be an SMG M3, but thats a little out of my budget right now. ;)

rocket
10-06-03, 06:43 PM
Automatic for now, if I had something sportier than a Dodge truck I'd pry opt for the manual. Although they are a pain in the *** driving in stop and go traffic.

KLang
10-06-03, 06:52 PM
Auto here, too much traffic around Houston. I would choose a stick if I still lived in the snowbelt.

My wifes BMW is a stick and I do drive it occasionally.

RaceGrrl
10-06-03, 08:34 PM
I've never owned an automatic. Gotta love the stick shift. :)

Dirty Sanchez
10-06-03, 08:38 PM
I voted manual... I own two automatics at the moment. One is a powerglide 2 speed trans. in an old Chevy.

I do prefer manual though. Will be picking up my 6-speed in a few weeks. :thumbup:

Classic Apex
10-06-03, 09:14 PM
Manual, baby.

Of all of the cars that I have owned, only one was an automatic.

Never again. WAAAAAAAAAY too boring.

manic mechanic
10-06-03, 09:25 PM
The count around our household is 2 autos, 1 5-speed.

I am handicapped when it comes to car-shopping due to the fact that my wife can't drive a manual. I've tried to teach her, but I always end up having to fix something (clutch, trans, or u-joints) after a few lessons. :cry:

HOWEVER, our next automotive purchase may be an "automanual" so that we both can enjoy driving the car our own way.

Of course, I want the G-35 coupe and she likes the sedan, but either one would be OK with me. :D

manic

Railbird
10-06-03, 09:56 PM
auto for the wife's pick up and a stick for my econo box.

street cars are pretty much point A to point B things for me.

RaceChic
10-06-03, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by manic mechanic
HOWEVER, our next automotive purchase may be an "automanual" so that we both can enjoy driving the car our own way.

I didn't know there was such a thing. Am I being my usual gullible self here ??? :confused: :( :D
At this time, I only know how to drive automatic. I hope to learn how to drive standard in the near future, so look the heck out everyone !!! :p

chop456
10-06-03, 11:01 PM
Bought my last new car with a stick for the mileage. Wife hates driving stick, therefore wife doesn't drive my car. :D

RaceGrrl
10-06-03, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
street cars are pretty much point A to point B things for me.

Street cars are "having fun while getting from point A to point B" for me. :)

Railbird
10-06-03, 11:08 PM
I hope to learn how to drive standard in the near future

I'm investing in clutch futures tomorrow...... ;)

JT265
10-06-03, 11:13 PM
Got gear????

I got an automatic in my SUV, BUT, lessseeee, I have 13speeds, 15 speeds, 18 speeds, and..............wait for it................
'
I'm thinking seriously of building up an old Peterbilt with not one, but TWO sticks (cause it has two gearboxes), and 20 forward gears!!!!!

Just DON'T ask me to try and back it up tho', OK? :D

PS: And a couple of old 5 speed Hewlands that I will retire as museum pieces. ;)

pchall
10-06-03, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Street cars are "having fun while getting from point A to point B" for me. :)

Nice outlook on the daily commuter grind.

I've always driven a manual gearbox in my personal cars. The autoboxes I've known took something out of driving. With a manual I remain connected to the act of driving and much more attentive.

Corner5
10-06-03, 11:15 PM
Always had manual. in my car and truck. something about shifting a stick.:cool:

JT265
10-06-03, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
At this time, I only know how to drive automatic. I hope to learn how to drive standard in the near future, so look the heck out everyone !!! :p

Sorry about your luck Brian. :D :D

HEY!!!! I just remembered!!!! Next time you're in town, call me and we can go to Quebec.

I understand those people down there have had great luck in the manufacture of rubber gears!!!! :p :cool: :laugh:

RaceChic
10-07-03, 09:29 AM
I hope to learn how to drive standard in the near future

I'm investing in clutch futures tomorrow...... ;)

With me learning to drive a stick..... :rolleyes:
You invest in clutch futures, you will make a killing !!!! :laugh:
I'm sure to strip a few...... ;)
But that's okay, because it's Brian's car, not mine !!! :p

anait
10-07-03, 10:33 AM
One of each. '97 Odyssey auto, '91 Civic hatchback manual. I love driving manual, and our little Civic has so much pep it's a blast to drive. But our 12 yr old clutch should probably be worked on (replaced??), this last year there's almost no catch in it. I drove my father-in-law's little Toyota truck, and that clutch was as smooth as butter. 'Course, truck=lugging stuff, Civic=w00t driving, eh?? ;)

Hey, give me some free advice, people - sometimes in second gear (and only in 2nd), it seems that the gas just ain't getting where it needs to go. I shift up from 1st, press the accelerator, and nothing happens. I've checked my foot a few times to make sure I hadn't missed the pedal. Then, suddenly, things get working and the engine gets all that gas as once - and forward we zip. ?????

G.
10-07-03, 11:20 AM
I heard tell a tale that if you drive an auto, then you are NOT driving, merely steering.:D

Merrily Steering Through Traffic,
G.

Joe in LA
10-07-03, 12:27 PM
Manuals in the fun car (i.e. my car), automatics in the family hauler .

Corner5
10-07-03, 01:09 PM
With me learning to drive a stick..... :rolleyes:
You invest in clutch futures, you will make a killing !!!! :laugh:
I'm sure to strip a few...... ;)

This is the line you're bound to hear when learning stick----

"Grind a pound for me!!" :laugh:

Have fun!!:cool:

Cam
10-07-03, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Corner5
This is the line you're bound to hear when learning stick----

"Grind a pound for me!!" :laugh:

Have fun!!:cool:

*grind* *grind*..... Keep looking it's gotta be there somewhere! :D

RaceChic
10-07-03, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Cam
*grind* *grind*..... Keep looking it's gotta be there somewhere! :D

Oh dear..... I fear for the car now..... :eek:

Classic Apex
10-07-03, 06:26 PM

:eek:

:D

Time to put my faith in VW engineering. :saywhat:

(just kidding, dear ;) )

EDwardo
10-07-03, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by G.
I heard tell a tale that if you drive an auto, then you are NOT driving, merely steering.:D

Merrily Steering Through Traffic,
G.

That would make Michael Schumacher, Juan P. montoya, and the rest "steerers"!

TKGAngel
10-07-03, 07:23 PM
I didn't know there was such a thing. Am I being my usual gullible self here ??? :confused: :( :D

Whoo-hoo for not knowing how to drive a stick. I've been in cars with people that drive them, and it just seems like a very jerky ride. Nice skill to have, but just seems very jerky. That said, the transmission on my Neon is pissing me off. :shakehead

RaceChic
10-07-03, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by TKGAngel
Whoo-hoo for not knowing how to drive a stick. I've been in cars with people that drive them, and it just seems like a very jerky ride. Nice skill to have, but just seems very jerky. That said, the transmission on my Neon is pissing me off. :shakehead

No kidding !!! It can be a bumpy ride for sure. If I was driving, I'm quite sure it would be much, much worse as well..... :gomer:

However, I was amazingly surprised at how smooth the transitions were in a Jetta with manual transmission. Again.... keep in mind I wasn't driving. :p

Railbird
10-07-03, 08:39 PM
If you have a little experience, and you're not trying to play hero for the honey, a manual can be smooth as silk.

of course if your honey is grabbing for the stick things can get a little jerky.

RaceChic
10-07-03, 08:43 PM
If you have a little experience, and you're not trying to play hero for the honey, a manual can be smooth as silk.

of course if your honey is grabbing for the stick things can get a little jerky.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Seriously...... :laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
10-07-03, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by TKGAngel
That said, the transmission on my Neon is pissing me off. :shakehead

Is it a pre '02 model? If thats the case, I feel your pain, we used to have lots of those in our rental fleet, and they are only 3-speeds!

Tall1
10-08-03, 07:49 PM
My door swings both ways - my ride has a Tiptronic.

Tall1
10-08-03, 07:54 PM
I have a Tiptronic transmission - Would my vote be considered akin to a "hanging chad?"

XFT
10-09-03, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Cam
I have automatic... With the traffic around here my foot would be ON the clutch more than off if I had a manual, which I would prefer. The car before this was a 4 speed, but I also drove about 1/2 as far each day as I do now. :shakehead

Manual in my 5-speed Alfa daily driver. And yes it's a bitch at times.

TKGAngel
10-09-03, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by SOG35
Is it a pre '02 model? If thats the case, I feel your pain, we used to have lots of those in our rental fleet, and they are only 3-speeds!

Its a 2001 model, and every so often when I go to start the car, it won't start. Only my dash and radio come on. I then need to start the car from neutral. After conferring with the esteemed service manager of my local dealership, my transmission cable needed to be adjusted and I need to replace the valve in the transmission. While the car is completely driveable, its like playing a bad game of russian roulette...will the car start or wont it? After a long day at work, the last thing I want to deal with is a pissy car. :mad:

redmist
10-09-03, 08:48 PM
i have a 5 speed and i can still talk on the phone,drink coffee and read the paper while driving:D

cartman
10-10-03, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by manic mechanic
The count around our household is 2 autos, 1 5-speed.

I am handicapped when it comes to car-shopping due to the fact that my wife can't drive a manual. I've tried to teach her, but I always end up having to fix something (clutch, trans, or u-joints) after a few lessons. :cry:

Of course, I want the G-35 coupe and she likes the sedan, but either one would be OK with me. :D

manic

Great choice!!! I have the G-35 coupe in a six speed. It is such a great car. I guess I'll have to go with manual for sure. It is pretty trafficky here in Atlanta but it doesn't seem to bother me too much.

Grunschev
10-10-03, 04:32 PM
I had no transmission choice when buying my car. But I really wouldn't have it any other way for this car. It is a 99 Chrysler 300M, which has the "Auto-Stick". In a smaller car I prefer the manual, but for this family hauler / highway cruiser, auto is the way to go. And the autostick is real handy in the mountains.

Igor