PDA

View Full Version : Sigfried/Roy/Tigers Poll

chop456
10-06-03, 09:10 AM
Your opinion, please.

Jag_Warrior
10-06-03, 09:47 AM
Mess with the average house cat long enough and he'll open a can of whoop-@ss on ya too.

I say leave the big kitty alone. To keep this from happening again, why not euthanize Siegfried & Roy? :eek:

WickerBill
10-06-03, 09:48 AM
You know, two weeks ago, I would have never guessed we'd see post-season action from the Tigers.

RaceChic
10-06-03, 09:53 AM
A tiger is a wild animal and I'm sure that whatever goes into training these tigers to do what they do in the shows is less than humane or kind. Hopefully they don't euthanize the tiger. This is what happens when you keep poking a dog with a stick. Eventually it will bite you in the a$$. :mad: :(

mapguy
10-06-03, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by WickerBill
You know, two weeks ago, I would have never guessed we'd see post-season action from the Tigers. :rofl: :thumbup:

Treeface
10-06-03, 10:11 AM
Attempted murder.

chop456
10-06-03, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Treeface
Attempted murder.

:laugh:

Cam
10-06-03, 10:20 AM
They said on the news this morning that he had whackcd the tiger on the nose with his microphone.....

I dunno about you, but I might just get a little PO'd if I was sitting there minding my own business and someone did that to me! :gomer:

anait
10-06-03, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Jag_Warrior
Mess with the average house cat long enough and he'll open a can of whoop-@ss on ya too.

:laugh: And sometimes, you don't even have to mess with them!! We have two sorta psycho half-Siamese cats - one doesn't like adults (except me, and she tolerates my husband), the other doesn't like young kids - makes for a good balance :D.

The adult-disliking cat, Strawberry (as in Darryl), will lull visitors into a false sense of security, however. If an adult visitor is a cat person, and if I'm on good terms with the person, Strawberry will sense this and let them scratch her under the ears, on the head, whatever - but then she'll turn on them. :p

My ex-boyfriend and his wife were visiting one New Year's. The wife and I were in the hot tub outside, while Mike and my ex were chatting in the living room. Strawberry jumped up on my ex's chest, and settled in for a long snuggle 'n scritching session. About 10 minutes later, my husband is surprised to see the cat go sailing across the room in a gentle arc, landing on her feet. He looked over at my ex, who was sitting with arms outstretched, wearing a rather surprised and shocked expression. :D Seems Strawberry had been inching closer and closer to his face, purring all the time...and when she got to within a couple inches of his face, she stiffened up a bit, bared her teeth, and hissed at him insanely. He decided, okay, it's either her or me that's going to win this! and off she went. :rofl:

RichK
10-06-03, 11:06 AM
I saw two of the white tigers on display in Vegas, they didn't seem very happy.....just kind of moping around. Caging wild animals bothers me.

Sean O'Gorman
10-06-03, 11:11 AM
I voted "Don't care", because if Siegfried and Roy's act went away, Conan O'Brien would lose half of his material. :laugh:

Treeface
10-06-03, 11:53 AM
Siegfreid has a younger replacement lined up for Roy or else found out he was fooling around.
I'm sure the plotline has been used on Murder She Wrote, Quincy or Barnaby Jones. Look for it on CSI soon.
Either that or the tiger got tired of being...uh nevermind.
My dog looks like Buddy Ebsen :confused:

mello
10-06-03, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
A tiger is a wild animal and I'm sure that whatever goes into training these tigers to do what they do in the shows is less than humane or kind. Hopefully they don't euthanize the tiger. This is what happens when you keep poking a dog with a stick. Eventually it will bite you in the a$$. :mad: :(

What they did with these tigers was far more humane than some people I know. Do some research and find out just how much these animals were loved and what these 2 men did their whole lives to help out. It really is a sad day. And yes they played with fire and one got burnt. But they knew that. BUT they also had the love of them and have done more for wildlife than we could ever imagine.
Horses were once wild animals running free too. But we think nothing now of how they train them to race and do tricks.

mello
10-06-03, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by RichK
I saw two of the white tigers on display in Vegas, they didn't seem very happy.....just kind of moping around. Caging wild animals bothers me.

The animals are only in the cages for a few hours a day to be shown off to people like you and I that like see them. They rotate all the time what animals will be there. The rest of the time they have a wonderful enviroment. (no not the wild thanks to mankind) but they are treated very well.

JoeBob
10-06-03, 12:46 PM
When I saw the White Tigers at the Mirage, my thought was also that they seemed unhappy, pacing and walking in circles.

I don't really have any opinion, although I must admit that I did chuckle when CNN interviewed some Hollywood expert on the future of the show. He was asked if the show would go on with just Sigfried, and the response was, "No, I don't think it would. Anybody who knows those two knows that they're attached at the hip." :eek:

That was an image I could have lived without!

RaceChic
10-06-03, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by mello
What they did with these tigers was far more humane than some people I know. Do some research and find out just how much these animals were loved and what these 2 men did their whole lives to help out. It really is a sad day. And yes they played with fire and one got burnt. But they knew that. BUT they also had the love of them and have done more for wildlife than we could ever imagine.
Horses were once wild animals running free too. But we think nothing now of how they train them to race and do tricks.

I'm sure the animals are loved. I'm not questioning that these two gentlemen have done things for wildlife. These were things I never contested. I would just venture to guess that it isn't always easy to train a wild tiger to do these "tricks" and they do not always get taught with positive reinforcement. Until I am behind the scenes on a regular basis for a good length of time, I will not speculate that I am fully aware of the real and full picture. Wasn't this the first show for this newly trained tiger? I think they just let their guard down. The tigers are surely well "taken care of" as far as a wild animal goes. But, they do not belong in shows doing tricks. They belong free. But, that is something that is a whole other deal. Just eventually when you make a wild animal do things it wasn't meant to do, they will eventually get upset.

As far as horses, I will not speak for the fact that they were once wild animals. They still are in some parts. My dream is to go to northern California and see their grace and beauty as they run free. The horses that we use in competition are a completely different breed of horse. They are bred with different bloodlines for different purposes, much like dogs which were also once wild until we came along and bred them into the domesticated animals that we get so much wonderful companionship from. The horses that we use in competition and elsewhere are so well bred that they are so skilled at the tasks that they were bred for that they do them so naturally. For example, a thoroughbred race horse just loves to run. In fact, my horse is bred to run and I spend more energy trying to stop him from running all the time than I do making him run. The training that goes into a horse is more often than not humane and is based on communicating with your body weight shift and distribution along with voice and other various aids and plenty of patient repetition. As with anything, there are people who badly mistreat animals. These are people that don't deserve a horse, a dog or anything. I know my horse is very precious to me, but much like a dog that growls or bears its teeth, he will get disciplined as needed.

I do see your point though, mello. I don't want these guys to get painted as horrible people that abuse the tigers either. I just have a different viewpoint. I will take up your advice and do some research on the subject. It's always good to learn more. :D

RacinM3
10-06-03, 03:22 PM
It wasn't the first show for the cat. It had performed for years. Saying it was "the cat's first performance" was just part of the S&R shtick. They said the same thing about this cat at every performance to get oohs and aahs out of the crowd.

These cats weren't meant for this. As Roy difficultly found out, you can take the cat out of the jungle but you can't take the jungle out of the cat.

nz_climber
10-06-03, 03:38 PM
GO THE TIGER

I support the tiger, I don't care how good they get treated they are not meant to be doing circus tricks!

:flame:

Treeface
10-06-03, 04:14 PM
They are not animals taken from the wild. I'm sure the constant inbreeding does wonders for behavior. :rolleyes:

Ankf00
10-06-03, 05:47 PM
They're actually able to successfully breed these guys in captivity on a large enough scale?

I always thought that most wild animals didn't exactly enjoy breeding in captivity.

I'm sorta with aaron but at least this guy wasn't skinned and sold off, but instead taken care of. Probably a net gain in terms of anti-poching support/awareness (god I feel retarded saying that), and $ for anti-poaching efforts.

Sucks for Roy :-\

Classic Apex
10-06-03, 08:31 PM
I seem to recall hearing that was the particular tiger's first appearance on stage. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

PS. Anybody hear the Bob & Tom show speaking about this this morning?

:rofl:

But serioulsy, best wishes to Roy.

Corner5
10-06-03, 11:09 PM
I never like to see wild animals caged or doing tricks,its not natural.They should be free to run and hunt. It's unpredictable when they will revert back to their wild instincts. Roy knew the risks,but its sad that it happened to him too. Hope he will be okay.