PDA

View Full Version : FORD Credit.

Kiwifan
10-04-03, 03:47 AM
FORD Credit. First up I'm a FORD man through and through. Every car I have ever owned has been a FORD but I do appreciate that there are other makes out there. ;)

What I'm trying to say is, "Are we giving FORD enough credit this year for their performance regarding their engine supply?" Seriously, the engines have been fantastic. We aren't getting the big blows as in the past and I for one appreciate the boys giving it the boot knowing the engine will last the race.

Now that I've come out of the FORD closet all you non believers can take the hiss out of me but deep down you know that I'm backing a winner. :) :) Right? Flame away!!

Rusty. :p

DjDrOmusic
10-04-03, 07:14 AM
JEEEEZ for a minute I thought you were the repo man looking for non paying loan customers! :D

But yes, I WILL give Ford the credit they deserve for allowing Cosworth to build such a great engine!;)

Kiwifan
10-04-03, 01:18 PM
Thanks Dr, looks like you and I are the only ones though. :(

Rusty.

nz_climber
10-05-03, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Kiwifan
Thanks Dr, looks like you and I are the only ones though. :(

Rusty.

No not the only one, you just didn't wait for me to post ;)

GO FORD :)

Jonezzy_33
10-05-03, 04:59 PM
Built Ford Tough :D Thanks to Ford for a great season! :thumbup:

Ankf00
10-05-03, 05:15 PM
thank you to ford for fooling enough poor saps to buy their junk ;)

thank you to ford for putting some of that ill-gotten capital into cosworth ;)

Railbird
10-05-03, 06:20 PM
The SpecFord device has been one of the more plesent suprises of the season.

I would expect nothing less from America's top racing manufacture.

RaceChic
10-05-03, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Jonezzy_33
Built Ford Tough :D Thanks to Ford for a great season! :thumbup:

Same! :thumbup:
Considering it was our only powereplant this year, I was so happy to see the consistency during the race weekends. Even good enough for Chebby to adopt! ;) :p :cool:

Warlock!
10-05-03, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
I would expect nothing less from America's top racing manufacture.
Ditto.

Warlock!

Jag_Warrior
10-05-03, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Ankf00
thank you to ford for fooling enough poor saps to buy their junk ;)

thank you to ford for putting some of that ill-gotten capital into cosworth ;)

Psst, Ankf00... Ford, as a nameplate/brand and as a corporate builder, has a higher 2003 vehicle dependabilty rating than the likes of Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen/Audi.

Perception doesn't always meet with reality. ;)

Kiwifan
10-06-03, 03:59 AM
Sigh, thanks Jag. ;) I only started this thread tongue-in-cheek 'cause I'm a FORD guy but seriously, the cars have been very reliable this year. Agreed all non FORD owners? :) :)

Rusty.

sundaydriver
10-06-03, 09:51 AM
Ford/Cosworth makes a great engine. They deserve a lot of credit. The racing has been a lot better this year.

Also, Chevy thanks them too. ;)

Andrew Longman
10-06-03, 09:58 AM
The engines have been a strong point this year and combined with more boost and no traction control have produced a good on track product.

Kiwi, if you are a true Ford fan you'd be interested in an article in Racer a few issues back on the development of the CART engine. Pretty good technical descriptions of the engineering and schedule challenges they faced.

I have to say though that I am not surprised by Cosworth,s performance. They are known for their solid work. I don't know if I am surprised or not but I am thankful to the Ford marketing folks for staying behind the series and seeing it's commercial value. I know it wasn't charity, and I believe they are gettign their investment back, so I have to credit their foresight.

Jonezzy_33
10-06-03, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by RaceChic
Even good enough for Chebby to adopt! ;) :p :cool:

Its always a good sign when your rival comes to you for help. Shows you're really doing something right. :D:p

Chaos
10-06-03, 02:08 PM
Let me play devil's advocate here. Did some of you expect the engine to not perform as it has?

The reason I'm not surprised is because they essentially de-tuned the previous engine, thus making the stress levels lower, resulting is fewer grenades.

G.
10-06-03, 06:24 PM
So how do we thank Ford for supporting our series? I can't really run out and buy a new vehicle right now, but what can we all do to show our appreciation?

Anybody know a good email addy to send them thatnks?

Corner5
10-06-03, 10:48 PM
Hornish says "thank$$$$:D

nz_climber
10-07-03, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Corner5

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cart7
10-07-03, 09:03 AM
I've been a Ford guy for a long time. Kudos to FMC for the outstanding job on continuing to support Cosworth and Cart. :thumbup:

Ankf00
10-07-03, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Jag_Warrior
Psst, Ankf00... Ford, as a nameplate/brand and as a corporate builder, has a higher 2003 vehicle dependabilty rating than the likes of Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen/Audi.

Perception doesn't always meet with reality. ;)

ya but their rep here was touting their "best cars in the world" bit while stressing their tricked-out roll-over explorers and the most recalled car ever focus ;)

toyo-hondo-subo :D

Jag_Warrior
10-07-03, 12:06 PM
Oh, I know what you meant. I was just pointing out that the American car companies (if there are such things anymore) are still having a hard time shaking the reps that they worked so hard (so poorly) to build over the past couple of decades. In automotive marketing studies, they're finding that a consumer will find a defect in a Honda (let's say) and they'll suck it up. They'll find that same defect in a Ford/GM/Chrysler product and it's: "Stop the presses! The world is coming to an end!" :D

Much of this stuff just comes down to the consumer's brand preference. I'm a big Ford fan because my company has a pretty tight connection to them, plus they support the types of racing that I most enjoy. I understand Bob Lutz (Mr. GM) is also a big FoMoCo fan. :rofl:

I think Ford did right by CART. Even when CART was its own worst enemy, Ford signed off on the (slight) marketing deal for this year. If CART had followed Vannini and the other clowns' advice, we'd have unbadged Ilmors, TRD's and Judds. For what those engines would have cost, I don't see a way that CART could have gotten 18 or 19 cars on the grid... and if it had, the company would already be out of cash.

Dirty Sanchez
10-07-03, 12:11 PM
Isn't it up to Ford to promote the effectiveness of their ChampCar engine program. Have you seen any Ford CART commercials? Seen a showcar at any car show this year? I haven't.

I appreciate their involvement, but I think they should be doing more on the promotional side.

Also agree with Chaos' remarks about its reliability.

RobGuru
10-07-03, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Corner5

Agreed... remember, after the Texas "race," Ford will be able to claim both the C^RT and EARL engine manufacturer's championships. This is what I predict... EARL will allow Shammy to win... Shammy will "pull the pin" with about 10 to go.

Corner5
10-07-03, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Crapus
Isn't it up to Ford to promote the effectiveness of their ChampCar engine program. Have you seen any Ford CART commercials? Seen a showcar at any car show this year? I haven't.

I appreciate their involvement, but I think they should be doing more on the promotional side.

Also agree with Chaos' remarks about its reliability.

Ford is not taking advantage of their opportunities.Speed says no Ford rep has shown up at any CART race! :confused:

Jag_Warrior
10-07-03, 01:26 PM
Sad to say, but I'm sure they're more concerned with how Matt Kenseth's Ford Taurus is doing in NASCAR. The last time I saw a Ford Racing display, they had a Champcar out there... along with a drag car, a rally car, a stock car, etc. The Cossie guys are the ones who really seemed to be pushing for the CART deal... Ford just came along as a sidenote.

Personally, I'd like to see Cosworth become the performance badge for Ford. What the h#ll is an SVT? What does that mean to me? Not much at all - sounds more like a social disease that I'd rather not get. Cosworth says ultra-high performance and racing. IMO, Cosworth is perhaps the greatest, longest standing name in the world of motorsports (besides Ferrari). I'd love to see Ford go worldwide with Cossie branding and pull out all the stops.

Do you have an SVT? No, I try not to go out with girls like that!

RichK
10-07-03, 01:29 PM
Just to stir the pot:

Remember that it was FORD that provided engines to the fledgling IRL eight years ago.

Ankf00
10-07-03, 01:37 PM
cosworth owns, dan davis on the other hand... if it aint nascar, he has no "real" interest.

in terms of "sucking it up" w/ problems, understandable, but I notice that with plenty of US car owners too, but when a furrin car has a problem suddenly it's "don't buy anything they make, they have this problem," which is just ridiculous. basically got an olds, a pontiac, and 3 subbies that have gone through our garage, olds is a trooper, the subbies got along muuuuuuch better, and the pontiac was a piece but that was late 80's ;) if only the olds had a decent body alongside that bulletproof engine...

oh ya and when i said "rep" i meant representative not repuation, unsure which one you understood it as :)