PDA

View Full Version : There's still hope for F1... (F1 Technical Committee proposals)

mnkywrch
01-21-03, 03:28 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/auto/?lvl=3a&cat=17&id=4832 (Speed Channel article)

After failing to come to an agreement over the FIA’s cost-cutting moves for Formula 1 last Friday, the Formula 1 Technical Working Group today approved a compromise over the sweeping proposals put forward by the sport's governing body.

The radical measures will be adopted the for this year's World Championship—but at midseason, rather than for the beginning of the season, which gets under way in Melbourne, Australia on March 9. Traction control and automatic gearboxes will now be banned in time for this year's British Grand Prix on July 20, while several other provisions also were delayed or modified.

The meeting, chaired by FIA technical delegate Charlie Whiting, approved an altered version of the changes demanded by FIA President Max Mosley last week. A first meeting last Friday was reconvened today after some teams balked at the sudden implementation of banning all driver aids.

Agreement was reached this time, however, with a number of changes being adopted. The main sticking point was the immediate introduction of total ban on traction control, but the five-month postponement will allow teams leeway to disable their systems. Launch control will also be banned from that point, provided the teams can operate their current clutches manually.

Car-to-pit telemetry will be allowed in 2003, as will driver-to-pit radios—but the latter will be accessible by host TV broadcasters via a specified frequency. Both had been banned as part of the FIA's previously announced changes for this year.

The rules on spare cars also will be relaxed, so that cars damaged in either qualifying or practice can be replaced. These will have to start at the back of the grid. Spare cars also will be available should there be a red flag in the opening two laps of a race.

Napoleon
01-21-03, 04:19 PM
Which tells me that maybe my take was correct, that the changes Max was trying to force was really nothing more then a gambit to get movement on some real change.

GrandView
01-21-03, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
Which tells me that maybe my take was correct, that the changes Max was trying to force was really nothing more then a gambit to get movement on some real change.

I agree.

And the lukewarm reception from top echelon teams other than Ferrari is their resistance to anything that would interrupt their progress in catching the Scuderia.

As it should be.

And they will.........if they aren't sidetracked with a bunch of unnecessary changes.

GV