PDA

View Full Version : Herta To Drive For Patrick/Fittipaldi Team?

JoeBob
01-21-03, 12:11 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?content_code=03312387

Of course, Autoweek also has a story linking Herta to both Jordan and Minardi in F1 (with Red Bull sponsorship) so who knows.

rabbit
01-21-03, 12:52 PM
Man oh man I hope that deal comes through. Hertamania Baby!:cool:

pchall
01-21-03, 12:57 PM
This goes aways to explaining the recent Herta-to-Patrick-second-car rumours...

turn1
01-21-03, 01:40 PM
Hertamania - catch it!

mnkywrch
01-21-03, 01:47 PM
I've never understood Herta-mania.

He had his chance.

Give <insert name of deserving Atlantics driver here> a chance.

rabbit
01-21-03, 01:57 PM
He doesn't need a "chance". He's an experienced driver who can put a car at the front of the grid. If I'm Emmo and I'm starting what is basically a one-car team (yes, they'll be sharing resources with Patrick, but not in the true two-car team way) I want someone with experience. I don't want to break in a rookie driver. And even if it is a full two-car relationship, I don't think Servia - as good as he is - is the guy I want breaking in the rook.

turn1
01-21-03, 02:06 PM
I agree with Rabbit. I like the fact that Herta does not require a ramp up period and can hit the pavement running full speed. Plus, he is american, which we need, has a known name, which we need, is a cool guy, which we need, and has Ohio ties, which I like!

molive
01-21-03, 02:20 PM
this would be funny:

a brazilian team owner with a american driver

usually it's the other way around...:)

but Emmo is not a fool, I'm sure this will please his sponsors

RaceGrrl
01-21-03, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by turn1
I agree with Rabbit. I like the fact that Herta does not require a ramp up period and can hit the pavement running full speed. Plus, he is american, which we need, has a known name, which we need, is a cool guy, which we need, and has Ohio ties, which I like!

I'm not so sure that he will hit the pavement running. He's been driving a different sort of machine in the past year, and Herta in the past has not been the most attentive to training when he hasn't had a ride. I agree that we need American drivers, but is he really the best choice?

rabbit
01-21-03, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
...but is he really the best choice?

At this late stage in the game, probably.

turn1
01-21-03, 05:22 PM
At least he has kept his racing skills up to speed, so to speak. Yes, the Panoz is different but it did allow him to keep his reaction times where they need to be.

RacinM3
01-21-03, 07:52 PM
Hmmmm, we'll see.....

Joe in LA
01-21-03, 08:38 PM
With only three ovals, Bryan will do well. He always seemed to lose a ton of points during the oval part of the series.

RTKar
01-21-03, 10:08 PM
The only reason I'd like to see Herta in CART is because of CART's need of American drivers more than any concern for Herta. Frankly, I'd rather see him in F1, a more or less non-descript American in a Jordan or Minardi. Neither car is top caliber, the expectations are few, so Herta wouldn't be as pressured as Andretti was in his F1 stint. If Herta were in F1, anything positive he did would be a bonus.It would be more interesting to watch him driving their than in CART.

molive
01-22-03, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by RTKar
The only reason I'd like to see Herta in CART is because of CART's need of American drivers more than any concern for Herta. Frankly, I'd rather see him in F1, a more or less non-descript American in a Jordan or Minardi. Neither car is top caliber, the expectations are few, so Herta wouldn't be as pressured as Andretti was in his F1 stint. If Herta were in F1, anything positive he did would be a bonus.It would be more interesting to watch him in their than in CART.

I agree. At CART, driving for Emmo, nothing short of a couple of wins will be considered sucess.

pchall
01-22-03, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by molive
I agree. At CART, driving for Emmo, nothing short of a couple of wins will be considered sucess.

I'd take wins at Laguna Seca and Mid-Ohio for Herta if he drives for Fittipaldi.

I'm still enthralled with the idea of Brazilian owner with an American driver. :)

mnkywrch
01-22-03, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by pchall
I'm still enthralled with the idea of Brazilian owner with an American driver. :)

It sounds like a rent-a-owner, to me... ;)

pchall
01-22-03, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
It sounds like a rent-a-owner, to me... ;)

that sort of deconstructs the whole Indy-O-Centric Split thing, doesn't it?

:p

JLMannin
01-22-03, 12:35 PM
The only problem I see with Herta is that if the car is not perfect, he's off his rocker. Also, according to what Morris Nunn said when Herta was with Ganassi, when the car is off, Herta cannot provide any meaningful feedback to the engineer to improve the car. If the car comes off the transporter with a good set-up to Herta's liking, he is very competitive and can win races. However, he has not demonstrated the ability (to me) that he can provide usefull feedback to improve the handling charateristics of a car. Geting out of the car and saying "it's freaky" is not meaningful feedback in my book.

John

mnkywrch
01-22-03, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by pchall
that sort of deconstructs the whole Indy-O-Centric Split thing, doesn't it?

:p

How so?

There was a split because TG wanted to run CART.

Everything else is spin. ;)

Hurling Frootmig
01-23-03, 03:28 PM
With such a large amount of road courses I believe Herta gives most teams a very competent second driver. He's not going to be contributing a lot to the set up of the car but he'll put the sponsor on T.V. with his finishes and presents a quality image as well.