PDA

View Full Version : Bruton Smith on CART at Vegas

nrc
09-30-03, 10:52 PM
Bruton Smith was on Windbag tonight and cleared up the status of CART with LVMS. He said that the contract is written, but not signed and mentioned that Speedway would be working in a "Landlord" capacity.

That means this is a track rental deal which is interesting because the implication has been that CART was getting away from those. Maybe motorock or some other promoter is setting the whole thing up.

I'm happy to see another oval on the schedule as a declaration that diversity is still part of the plan, but I'm skeptical of CART's ability to draw at LVMS given the current state of the sport.

manic mechanic
09-30-03, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by nrc
Bruton Smith was on Windbag tonight and cleared up the status of CART with LVMS. He said that the contract is written, but not signed and mentioned that Speedway would be working in a "Landlord" capacity.

That means this is a track rental deal which is interesting because the implication has been that CART was getting away from those. Maybe motorock or some other promoter is setting the whole thing up.

I'm happy to see another oval on the schedule as a declaration that diversity is still part of the plan, but I'm skeptical of CART's ability to draw at LVMS given the current state of the sport.

If this is indeed true, I may be due a "finder's fee"...I mentioned this aspect to LVMS' PR guy this past February. If I had known of this deal in the pipeline when I talked to him 10 days ago, I would have asked for the $$$ right then! :D

Vegas..ChampCars...A match that only "Sin City" could make heavenly on an oval.

Now if we could get them to move "Spring Training" from Sebring to Vegas.... That would be the first "retaliatory strike" towards NASCAR's South Florida stranglehold on the race media for the month of February.

manic

pchall
10-01-03, 05:34 AM
Another US oval is a good thing. I want the diversity to remain as well.

There is a certain pleasing irony in CART going to LVMS: the lemmings will be green and puking as they climb back up the cliff. :p

cart7
10-01-03, 06:05 AM
It's interesting to note that Gentilozi wasn't to firm in saying that it would be an oval race on Tunnel the other night. I'm guessing at this point, until the takeover process progresses further, he can't say much more.

RaceChic
10-01-03, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by pchall
Another US oval is a good thing. I want the diversity to remain as well.

There is a certain pleasing irony in CART going to LVMS: the lemmings will be green and puking as they climb back up the cliff. :p

No joke, pchall!!!! :laugh:

I have never been to Las Vegas and this is the perfect opportunity for a fly away race. I also hope they keep Laguna Seca as that is another fly away race I want to see. :D

Hurry Downs
10-01-03, 10:42 AM
I've never been that big on Champ Cars on Ovals, BUT if the rumor of a U2 concert come true. I may just be on the verge of my first Champ Car oval race and my first trip to Vegas!
:cool:

Treeface
10-01-03, 10:46 AM
It will test my NASCAR oval rule of two. There seems to be enough fan support for two dates per large oval. If a track has only one Cup date than there is enough demand for another series. Two Cup dates and forget it.

A few things:
SMI is better positioned than ISC in large markets.
Those markets are currently underserved.
NASCAR is never going to give SMI any more Cup dates.
The IRL had their shot and failed miserably.
Motorock/CART is a saner option than funding a startup like TRAC.

Steve99
10-01-03, 05:00 PM
Thanks, I missed that part of the interview.

I've always wanted to go to Vegas, and I've never seen the Champ Cars on an oval bigger than 1 mile. :D

Someone needs to start working on the CSI tie-in.

RichK
10-01-03, 05:11 PM
The Vegas oval is a very nice facility, I remember the pit wall has data and phone and power jacks for each pit stall.

And as someone mentioned at another thread or site: you get a free airshow from Nellis AFB which is RIGHT across the street.

Treeface
10-01-03, 09:36 PM
FWIW Smith also mentioned the city was involved in the negotiations.

cartcanuck
10-03-03, 09:45 AM
Gentiozzi made the strong point that there are also road courses out at the speedway complex. I have no idea what these road courses are like. Anyone know? any ideas? Would these be suitable for Champ Cars? Did Bruton specifically mention the oval?

tllips
10-03-03, 11:44 AM
One of the articles I read on this subject mentioned that the race could be held in May because LVMS would not be promoting it (It stated something to the effect of they are already too busy promoting NASCAR and another race in the spring). PG stated that OWRS would not be a promotion company.

Who would promote this race?? Would Motorock do the racing side in addition to the concert? Would the city of LV promote the race?

RichK
10-03-03, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by cartcanuck
Gentiozzi made the strong point that there are also road courses out at the speedway complex. I have no idea what these road courses are like. Anyone know? any ideas? Would these be suitable for Champ Cars? Did Bruton specifically mention the oval?

You can see the outline of the road course on this map. They use alot of the oval, it's not the greatest road course in the world. ALMS was there in 2000:

http://www.lvms.com/images/trackmap_speedway.jpg