PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from my very first F1 race

rabbit
09-28-03, 11:51 PM
DISCLAIMER: The tickets were a gift. Tony George did not get a single penny of my money this weekend.

Holey Schmoley, was that the shiznit!! :cool::thumbup: The crowd was AWESOME! (Ole, ole, ole-ole-ole!) I've been to a lot of races and as far as crowd atmosphere, none of them came close to this. The cars are insane fast and loud in person. (To describe the exhaust note as "music" is to grossly understate its beauty.) Our seats were at the 100m brake marker for turn one (stand H, sect. 8, row P, seat 6). TV does not do the braking power of these cars justice. :eek: I am no Schumey fan, but dude was untouchable in the wet.

I sat in front of some really nice people from Montreal who went to the F1 and CART races up there. The people all around me were very knowledgeable fans who paid attention to the race and stood the entire 73 laps. The only complaints I heard were from a couple of Americans to my left who were complaining that the numbers on the cars were too small. :rolleyes: When I told them they could tell the difference by looking at the driver's helmet they said, "Oh, I never thought of that." :gomer:

If I can score some free (or really cheap) tickets again next year, you can bet your sweet patoot I'll be back!

Ole, ole, ole-ole-ole! Now where's my Columbian flag? :D

Eagle104
09-29-03, 12:04 AM
good for you, rabbit! :thumbup:

it's now the best thing you'll experience at the old speedplant.

great atmosphere. very special event.

you'll be back........... :)

RTKar
09-29-03, 09:53 AM
The USGP has been on my seasonal "must do" list since the first year. From the ambience of the crowd, it's international feel, to the incredible grace and power of an F1 machine, it's something that is best experienced in person. It was great to hang around the good people of Camp David as always. The fire was especially comforting. An interesting and important race with results that I wish were different, and the only time I've ever been to Indy and prayed for rain on race day, especially after Schumi started pulling away. It was incredible watching the slow corners on Saturday as the drivers kicked out the back end of the cars to point them in the right direction on exit on a seemingly slick track, the rooster tails of spray down the main straight during the race,and the cars diving to the inside wet line along the main straight as the track dried. Like all good race weekends, I wish it wasn't over so soon. I'm already looking forward to next year. I just wish the race was still going to be in September.

SteveH
09-29-03, 10:20 AM
"I just wish the race was still going to be in September."

However, with the prospect of warmer temps, I would imagine the young ladies attending the race won't be under 17 layers of fabric, if you know what I mean.

homina homina homina

chop456
09-29-03, 10:31 AM
Now there's a man with his priorities in order. :D

As always, I had a blast. Hung out with 5 Irish guys camped next to us who were huge rally fans/drivers. Apparently they like beer over there, too. ;) Had fun at Camp David. Got to see RTKar & friend, Cam, Lizzerd, Ziggy, GrandView, Twisty and Mrs. Bits, Crapus & Mrs Maximus and almost Dr. Nick.

We picked up some good tickets in H stand a couple weeks back. Not as high as I'd have liked to be, but a great spot for some glowing brake discs. Too bad my camera and my photography skills suck.

See everyone next year!

Hot Rod Otis
09-29-03, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Eagle104
good for you, rabbit! :thumbup:

it's now the best thing you'll experience at the old speedplant.

great atmosphere. very special event.

you'll be back........... :)

What Eagle said.

If you can put your distaste for TG and US open-wheel politics aside for 3 days, the USGP is a frigging blast. I've been to every session, every day, every year. You can't beat the atmosphere, the crowds, the cars. The Colombian guy next to me was asking me about the 500, if it was as crazy as the USGP. I told him there was more excitement and atmosphere and energy in 1 section of stands @ the USGP than in the entire 500 crowd. I sat behind a bunch of guys from Holland on Sunday, 2 of whom were actually wearing wooden shoes. You don't see that @ the 500. At the 500, I sat next to some ignorant IRL/Barnyard400 bubba who only stopped yacking in my ear long enough to floss his teeth.:eek:

If your a F1 fan, or even if you ain't, you owe it to yourself to go to one.

FRANKY
09-29-03, 11:35 AM
I feel sorry for the fans who can't get the stick out of their *** (I'm sure there are some left) long enough to go enjoy THIS race. Total blast. I'll miss it in September.

Jonezzy_33
09-29-03, 12:04 PM
I was there all four days and absolutely enjoyed every last minute of it. The worst part of the weekend was when the race was over and I was sitting in my car waiting to leave the track. I love the atmosphere the international fans bring forth and you could get me to go back any day. I kicked up several good convos with people from all over and my McLaren team shirt got me into several good and interesting convos. Awesome weekend and I'll never forget it. :thumbup:

Dirty Sanchez
09-29-03, 12:32 PM
Picked a good first race there rabbit. :thumbup:

This was my 13th F1 race and easily the best, most exciting, coolest, funnest... :eek:

We had a great party on Friday night. Wet & Wild. Stopped by a fairly empty Camp David on Saturday afternoon for a beer or two with Lizzerd and crew. :thumbup: Sorry we didn't get a chance to see Twisty and Chopper and the rest :D

I sat in stand H for every session. Didn't see a reason to leave it. Our race tickets were sweet too H-17-K-9/10... great view of all the first corner action.

Corner5
09-29-03, 02:33 PM
Went to the first 3 USGP's. I always said the F1 fans were the loudest and most passionate. The first one is still my favorite. We always walked all over the place. The infield mounds and the manufacturers row were great. Too bad the crowd is declining every year,but it makes it easier to move around. I'm glad to see the race moved.The weather has been cold and rainy every year. Its just getting old. I think it would help with the crowd too. And camping.

Railbird
09-29-03, 10:09 PM
It became one of my favorite raceweekends the first year.

The best of the best having it out in my backyard.

it doesn't get any better than that.

Loved the mixed up weather and the shuffled lineup. Amazed at the Schumi/Ferarri domination. Disappointed with Jauncho's performance.

Entertained by the most fun crowd I see all year.

The chanting and singing always raises my spirits and makes me wish I had that kind of imagination, not to mention rythm.

Horns, cymbals and even an accordian entertained in a variety of of impromptu marching bands dresses and painted in the favored colors. Makes me want to learn the bagpipe.

Sorry I didn't make it up to Camp David, but I did get to meet Grand View and Michael Delaney, got to spend a little time with them, Ziggy, SteveH, Cam and several other good racefans Sunday morning. Ran into Lizzerd and his brother Saturday.

Spent Friday in a pretty cool suite, that deal was kind of comfy but no match for being in the stands. Call me a heathen, but I need to be closer to the whole deal.

Side bar:

spent Friday swilling free beer and hitting the Flag Room afterwards with several other malcontents so Saturday 6:00a was a little blurry. Leaving for the track I told myself "No beer before noon". Well after the always friendly Yellow Shirts ran me out of the South East Vista I decided that it would be a good time to walk the spectator mounds. Picking my way past some muddy ground I spotted a fiver laying on the ground, after snatching it up my eyeballs came back into focus on a sign that read "Bloody Marys $5.00".

It was only 9am but it wasn't beer.

Cam
09-29-03, 10:29 PM
[i]
spent Friday swilling free beer and hitting the Flag Room afterwards with several other malcontents so Saturday 6:00a was a little blurry. Leaving for the track I told myself "No beer before noon". Well after the always friendly Yellow Shirts ran me out of the South East Vista I decided that it would be a good time to walk the spectator mounds. Picking my way past some muddy ground I spotted a fiver laying on the ground, after snatching it up my eyeballs came back into focus on a sign that read "Bloody Marys $5.00".

It was only 9am but it wasn't beer. [/B]

You got suite passes Friday too? :eek: We didnt spend any time indoors. When the rain came it was under the small ledge and stayed out to watch the roostertails! :D

Cool stuff an 210 MPH! :thumbup:

And we all know there isnt a Bloody Mary that a 'bird can pass up! ;)