PDA

View Full Version : They just don't give up

rabbit
01-21-03, 10:41 AM
Front engine baby!! :gomer: (http://66.223.17.243/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=023383)

DaveL
01-21-03, 11:07 AM
They are still trying to find a way to get their sprint car heros into the Earl. While that's a noble goal, having said drivers is of no concern to Lord Sagamore and never was.

Sean O'Gorman
01-21-03, 01:14 PM
Yeah, go ahead and switch IndyCars to front engine. Then watch the field size shrink to almost zero because all of the traditional formula car drivers/teams/manufacturers don't want to be involved with it, and the short track drivers still can't afford to move up to the IRL. :rolleyes:

mnkywrch
01-21-03, 01:44 PM
If they really want sprint car drivers in the IRL, perhaps they should get rid of all that mandated downforce and make the things harder to drive.

But that would be too simple.

The whole front-engine nonsense... is as silly as insisting CART can survive without the Indy 500.

I figure it would be easier to have Christianity without Christ.

rabbit
01-21-03, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
The whole front-engine nonsense... is as silly as insisting CART can survive without the Indy 500.

I figure it would be easier to have Christianity without Christ.

Have to disagree with you there. C^RT can and is and will survive without Indy. What nearly killed C^RT was the mentality that it couldn't. Sort of like a heroin junkie. Pook has taken the series through withdrawal. Now it's on to the 12-step program.

lone_groover
01-21-03, 03:18 PM
Is their "Tara" really a dude? :confused:

mnkywrch
01-21-03, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
Have to disagree with you there. C^RT can and is and will survive without Indy. What nearly killed C^RT was the mentality that it couldn't. Sort of like a heroin junkie. Pook has taken the series through withdrawal. Now it's on to the 12-step program.

I like what Pook's doing on the whole, but I fear they're looking at getting away from what they were - a North American based series that runs on all kinds of tracks.

From where I sit, the general direction of CART... the ovals and the majority of the natural terrain circuits (Road America, etc.) are getting dropped for a push into North American street circuits & Europe.

If that's the future, I hate to say it, but I doubt I'll be a big fan of that. The occasional concrete canyon is OK, but I don't feel like seeing a lot of them. I don't see that as "survival".

Or, to use your analogy, it's kicking heroin by taking up cocaine.

As far as surviving, CART's set through 2004. Then they need manufacturers to show up & pump money into CART just like they were... that, or CART needs to figure out a dirt cheap high horsepower motor.

cart7
01-21-03, 03:31 PM
ORIGINALLY POSTED BY LONE GROOVER

Is their "Tara" really a dude?

Yep :rolleyes: Kinda sick if you think about it.

Napoleon
01-21-03, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
the general direction of CART... the majority of the natural terrain circuits (Road America, etc.) are getting dropped for a push into North American street circuits & Europe.

CART has not dropped one single natural terrain track, so that is simply inaccurate. Your basing this whole sweeping comments from a couple of quotes in an article that were made in God knows what context at a time that the series is in talks about extending a sanctioning agreement (its not like people haven't postured before).

mnkywrch
01-21-03, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
CART has not dropped one single natural terrain track, so that is simply inaccurate. Your basing this whole sweeping comments from a couple of quotes in an article that were made in God knows what context at a time that the series is in talks about extending a sanctioning agreement (its not like people haven't postured before).

Well, that's my perception. Perhaps if they added Road Atlanta I'd feel different.

They're dropping American ovals (instead of seeing if the people return once they put some wings back on the cars), they're co-promoting Mid-Ohio and Elkhart Lake (which doesn't make me feel good about those events), and they're adding European races & looking at adding more.

Of course, I don't count Monterrey as a natural terrain road course... thanks to the layout, it's a street circuit with runoff.