PDA

View Full Version : Couthard's comments on IRL

oddlycalm
09-26-03, 08:47 PM
Couthard indicated he was visiting DeFerran at the recent race at Fontana. He is a polite guy, so he was a bit uncomfortable saything this, but he was absolutely shocked that the officials threw a full course yellow because the leaders were coming up on some backmarkers. His reaction was incredulous.

I don't watch IRL events, so I have no way to know if this is accurate, but Couthard is not one to make up stories, and he certainly knows his racing. If this is true, it's the most mickey mouse and embarrassing thing I've ever heard said about any racing series including club races. Simply unbelievable.

There is no doubt that we are in the most dreary period for US motorsports I can remember. It's ironic that at the same time we have the most complete coverage we have ever had.

oc

lone_groover
09-26-03, 10:32 PM
I wonder what he said to his pal Gill.

:p

lateralus42
09-27-03, 12:16 PM
Its funny that a total oval novice can come in a pick up that IRL racing is a fraud right away. GO DC!!:D

Chaos
09-27-03, 02:00 PM
The TFers didnt take to his thoughts too kindly.

fourrunner
09-27-03, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Chaos
The TFers didnt take to his thoughts too kindly.

They HATE Smart Drivers!! ;)

devilmaster
09-27-03, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by oddlycalm
...that the officials threw a full course yellow because the leaders were coming up on some backmarkers. His reaction was incredulous.

I don't watch IRL events, so I have no way to know if this is accurate, but Couthard is not one to make up stories, and he certainly knows his racing. If this is true, it's the most mickey mouse and embarrassing thing I've ever heard said about any racing series including club races. Simply unbelievable.

Hmmmm... Naturally this had nothing to do with the fact that they wanted the IRL to get the fastest race record from CART.. Make sure no accident comes from Sarah and AJ trying to avoid the freight train going round them....

No no no no no no..... :rolleyes:

p.s. before you mention it, I realize a yellow slows the pace. But if you slow it just long enough to get everyone in order, 2 or 3 laps, then it won't affect the race speed too much.

Steve

FRANKY
09-27-03, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster
Hmmmm... Naturally this had nothing to do with the fact that they wanted the IRL to get the fastest race record from CART.. Make sure no accident comes from Sarah and AJ trying to avoid the freight train going round them....

No no no no no no..... :rolleyes:

p.s. before you mention it, I realize a yellow slows the pace. But if you slow it just long enough to get everyone in order, 2 or 3 laps, then it won't affect the race speed too much.

Steve

That's a bit quirky.

Throwing a yellow to speed up a race. :laugh:

The backmarkers were lapped 5 or 6 times anyways.

No the yellow for whatever reason, wasn't an every 50 or 75 lap competition yellow to bunch the field, make a better show, break CART's record situation.

Nothing here for the X-Files.

mapguy
09-27-03, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by FRANKY
That's a bit quirky.

Throwing a yellow to speed up a race. :laugh:

The backmarkers were lapped 5 or 6 times anyways.

No the yellow for whatever reason, wasn't an every 50 or 75 lap competition yellow to bunch the field, make a better show, break CART's record situation.

Nothing here for the X-Files.

Of course the irl doesn't resort to that kind of tom-foolery. *cough Cosworth/Chevy cough* 2002 Indy 500 *cough...

devilmaster
09-27-03, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
Of course the irl doesn't resort to that kind of tom-foolery. *cough Cosworth/Chevy cough* 2002 Indy 500 *cough...

never!!! of course not.... :rolleyes:

Steve

FRANKY
09-27-03, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by mapguy

Those would be excellent X-files to be opened.

There is a difference.

mapguy
09-28-03, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by FRANKY
Those would be excellent X-files to be opened.

There is a difference.

Thou doth protest too much...

JT265
09-28-03, 09:35 AM
DM and Mapper,

Both you guys are reading waaaaaaaaaay too much into this deal. I doubt the issue was "fastest race record" as much as it was a combination of whoever was leading NOT wanting to have to try and pass the backmarkers again, as well as giving Sham the opportunity to pull the last corner shuffle on whoever was in the lead.

Remember, that ***cough***Gen 4D ***cough*** can only sustain 13500rpm over a short period of time. ;)

Jonezzy_33
10-01-03, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by fourrunner
They HATE Smart Drivers!! ;) :laugh: :D

oddlycalm
10-02-03, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover
I wonder what he said to his pal Gill.

:p

My thought was that it was probably Gil that told him that there was nothing on the track to cause the yellow. It was pretty clear that Coulthard had the inside line on what happened. :shakehead

oc

RaceChic
10-02-03, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by fourrunner
They HATE Smart Drivers!! ;)

That's why Helio has them so speechless in awe over there!!! :laugh:

Climber
10-02-03, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by JT265

Remember, that ***cough***Gen 4D ***cough*** can only sustain 13500rpm over a short period of time. ;) [/B]

Yeah, but only when you "pull the pin on the grenade."

Robstar
10-03-03, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by oddlycalm
It's ironic that at the same time we have the most complete coverage we have ever had.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Jonezzy_33
10-03-03, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by RaceChic
That's why Helio has them so speechless in awe over there!!! :laugh:

OUCH! ;):D :laugh: :rofl: