PDA

View Full Version : 1973 German G.P on Speed Now!

chop456
09-26-03, 02:05 PM
Why? Don't know.

But it is.

chop456
09-26-03, 02:19 PM
Apparently as a lead in for USGP quals. I don't know if they played the whole thing, but it was at the Nurburgring.

What a field. :eek:

Hobbs and Jackie Stewart were commentating.

All over.

Warlock!
09-30-03, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by chop456
Why? Don't know.

But it is.

Saw that. I was telling the wife, "Yeah... we'll go take a quick walk around in the stifling heat in just a sec... practice is almost over".

I left the tube on with the volume down as I slathered the kids with 200x sun-block. As I walked out the door I noticed fat rear tires and a skinny, hilly course. After sitting back down on the couch and turning up the volume, I saw it was an early 70's F1 race at the ring. After waiting by the rental van for a lap, the fam came back in to see WTF I was doing. With a woeful expression I pleaded my case. All I got was several "You promised!"'s... so I packed a couple extra beers in the cooler in preparation for my upcoming family fun-time.

I hope they replay it sometime...

Warlock!

Cam
09-30-03, 09:11 PM
Good to see you are "enjoying" yourself out West 'lock! :D

Warlock!
09-30-03, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Cam
Good to see you are "enjoying" yourself out West 'lock! :D
Thanks. Just got back. Never so damn happy to see a high of 55F as I walked thru the Detroit airport.

Dry heat, my ass...

Warlock!

Chaos
10-01-03, 12:07 PM
missed it :(

oddlycalm
10-03-03, 01:54 PM
Man, what an incredibly good quality recording that was for 1973! Hearing Stewart talking about the loss of Cevert during quals for the USGP, it was clearly difficult for him. They were obviously very close, as Stewart never returned to the cockpit. Difficult for those of us that were there that day as well.

Very interesting that the Tyrells were able to run off and hide like that, considering that most of the field had the Cosworth engine as well. Hard to imagine Ken Tyrrell had a better version than Colin Chapmna did. Also interesting to ponder a privateer dominating like Tyrrell did at times. I'd also forgotten that Emerson, as reigning WDC, had finished mid-pack behind his brother Wilson at that race.

I guess they ran it because Stewart was there and they had the air time (4hrs) to fill, but I'd love to see them run it again.

oc

RaceChic
10-03-03, 01:56 PM
Good to be able to see that! I missed it the first time. :gomer:

JohnHKart
10-06-03, 04:40 AM
I caught that on tape when it first ran.....I'm going to build up a library of Ring stuff when I can.....So that is going to go on the tape with TKendall's BMW test drive show. Amazing to watch that famous Jackie drive after driving on the ring last July.....those guys make it look easy.....It definitely wasn't!!!!!!

JH