PDA

View Full Version : Questions for WB and the other old timers

FTG
09-25-03, 06:57 PM
Some of the crappies were talking about the first person to say FTG. Naturally, I was curious about the answer.

Also, who coined the term crapwagon?

Was it an instant hit like Saturday Night Fever, or more of a bubbling underground sensation like Rocky Horror Picture Show.

And since everyone loves nostalgia, and we're looking back anyway, why not share the old stories about a group of crazy kids with stars in their eyes, who thought about starting an Internet auction site, but decided instead that a better way to profit from this emrging technology was by starting a web site that would allow them to scam free press passes to CART races.

Lizzerd
09-25-03, 07:04 PM
Well, I'm not taking credit for it, but I said FTG (the words) back in 1994 or 1995 as soon as I heard about The Vision, Version 1.0. That was long before I started playing in racing forums on the internet.

DjDrOmusic
09-25-03, 07:08 PM
I actually heard the term Crapwagon as a child at my Grandfathers farm...but I'm pretty sure he was talking about something else! :D

RaceGrrl
09-25-03, 07:09 PM
I don't know about FTG, but I know that Mike Kellner coined the term Crap Wagon a few years ago. It caught on and was used with some frequency at 7G before Paul Tracy referred to the crapwagons in the interview.

Correct me if I'm wrong folks. (Better take the opportunity, I don't make that statement often)

racer2c
09-25-03, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
I don't know about FTG, but I know that Mike Kellner coined the term Crap Wagon a few years ago. It caught on and was used with some frequency at 7G before Paul Tracy referred to the crapwagons in the interview.

Correct me if I'm wrong folks. (Better take the opportunity, I don't make that statement often)

It was indeed Mike although I remember him being rather humble about it's popularity.

Ahh, the good ol' days. Some great debates amongst some extremely witty smackdowns.

As for FTG, I always attributted FTG the person as the reason so many picked it up. Like in radio, F this and F that was popular at the time in the lemming bashing mayhem.

JT265
09-25-03, 10:20 PM
Who was the 1st to say FTG?

His 1st wife.

(whatever her name is) ;)

Jag_Warrior
09-25-03, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Who was the 1st to say FTG?

His 1st wife.

(whatever her name is) ;)

Besides the unfortunate ex (who obviously came to her senses), to find the first FTG'er among race fans... you'd probably have to measure it in milliseconds. H#ll, it coulda been anybody.

chop456
09-26-03, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by FTG
And since everyone loves nostalgia, and we're looking back anyway, why not share the old stories about a group of crazy kids with stars in their eyes, who thought about starting an Internet auction site, but decided instead that a better way to profit from this emrging technology was by starting a web site that would allow them to scam free press passes to CART races.

Now THAT'S funny. :D

Re: the original question - Kellner can take credit for pretty much the whole anti-earl lexicon.

sadams
09-26-03, 04:00 PM
Kellner author of
"the Acursed Hanford Device" and many others

mapguy
09-26-03, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by sadams
Kellner author of
"the Acursed Hanford Device" and many others

Also Formula NS. Formula Tony. I also think that Indy-Centric and Indiots can also be attributed to Mike.

Turn7
09-26-03, 04:06 PM
I agree with the consensus on Mr. Kellner being the originator of the Crapwagon moniker.

Didn't he do Lord Sagamore as well?

RaceGrrl
09-26-03, 04:23 PM
I thought Lord Sagamore was DaveL's

mapguy
09-26-03, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
I thought Lord Sagamore was DaveL's

It is.

Turn7
09-26-03, 04:41 PM
OK, everybody name a "lexicon" as JW so eliquently put it and then everybody else attribute the originator.

You have to answer before you ask. Ask one for others even if you know the originator.

Who first used lemming?

mapguy
09-26-03, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
OK, everybody name a "lexicon" as JW so eliquently put it and then everybody else attribute the originator.

You have to answer before you ask. Ask one for others even if you know the originator.

Who first used lemming?

I think that might have been Robin Miller.

chop456
09-26-03, 05:30 PM
How about idiotgrandson?

JT265
09-26-03, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by chop456
How about idiotgrandson?

Anton Hulman.

Hey, the guy knew of what he spoke, ok? :D

Racewriter
09-29-03, 10:32 AM
I'm not positive, but I think Kellner might have been the first to refer to Tonyboys as "lemmings."

I will take credit for being the first to refer to Joe Heitzler as "Clueless Joe," though.:D

KaBoom21
10-01-03, 01:43 PM
Kellner also came up with, "Trucks were designed to haul manure. Racing them is pure cornpone." We chanted that at MIS the first year they had the truck series race there.

Racewriter
10-01-03, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by KaBoom21
Kellner also came up with, "Trucks were designed to haul manure. Racing them is pure cornpone." We chanted that at MIS the first year they had the truck series race there.

That's the catchiest thing you could come up with?:p

KaBoom21
10-01-03, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter
That's the catchiest thing you could come up with?:p

Nah, it was outta respect for Kellner. Gotta keep the vision alive.

Ziggy
10-01-03, 05:23 PM
Crapwagon, this could be attributed to Mike, but the term had been around for quite sometime, as a nice way of saying "****box"

Lemming was pure Kellner

Ziggy

RTKar
10-01-03, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Crapwagon, this could be attributed to Mike, but the term had been around for quite sometime, as a nice way of saying "****box"

Lemming was pure Kellner

Ziggy

Yea, S** t box has been around forever, crapwagon is the genteel version.

XFT
10-07-03, 06:07 PM
"And since everyone loves nostalgia, and we're looking back anyway, why not share the old stories about a group of crazy kids with stars in their eyes, who thought about starting an Internet auction site, but decided instead that a better way to profit from this emrging technology was by starting a web site that would allow them to scam free press passes to CART races."

I'd like to hear about that

FTG
10-07-03, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by XFT

I'd like to hear about that

Nothing but silence. Too many wounds that we don't want reopened perhaps?

Sean O'Gorman
10-07-03, 09:18 PM
A phrase used alot on the old AOL boards (which were great back in the late 90s...don't know where all those people went, but I log onto AOL maybe an hour a month) was "eyearell", I'm surprised I've never seen that on any other forum.

XFT
10-08-03, 05:55 PM
i dont know anything about these kids starting a cart site at all....what site was it, etc?