PDA

View Full Version : New Title Sponsor

molive
09-25-03, 05:07 PM
Even though Ford and B-Stone are still supporting the series, I heard rumours (Brazilian media) thar CART may soon have a new title sponsor.

Which one of those you guys prefer?

source (http://brazil.crash.net/news_detail.asp?championship_id=3&news_id=77320&language_id=4)

MAXAR RE
09-25-03, 05:47 PM
Rumor I have heard is that Paul Newman is trying to get McDonalds to sign on either as the Primary Sponsor for the #2 car (will Cilais ever get FDA approval before 2016?) or as the Primary Sponsor for the series itself. For those who don't know, Paul has had a long relationship with McDondalds, and currently McDonald's has Newman's Own Dressings with some of their "deluxe" McSalads.

I haven't heard anything new on this McRumor in about a week, though, and am guessing it is being held up due to the buyout.

KobySon
09-25-03, 06:35 PM
I would prefer bud because that would confirm that they are no longer "confused" about open wheel racing. when they left hearn and della penna, that's the reason they gave.
k

Sean O'Gorman
09-25-03, 07:02 PM
Red Bull, because they are the ones who seem to have the greatest interest in motorsports. Plus, if they were involved with CART, perhaps they would change the driver search of theirs to send drivers up through the ladder into CART, instead of F1. This would make alot more sense than their current plan...how much exposure have they gotten in the US from their current crop of drivers?

molive
09-25-03, 07:24 PM
Id go with Bud, just for the sound of it.

Lizzerd
09-25-03, 08:04 PM
Bud has Dale Jr. and their parent company is title for NASCAR's second tier.

McDonalds has lots of bucks, and would appeal to the youngsters, but lacks credibility, IMO.

Verizon... wireless companies come and go. Not stable enough for me.

Red Bull... UnderaCheever is without a sponsor. That's my vote.

Other... Microsoft.

pchall
09-25-03, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by KobySon
I would prefer bud because that would confirm that they are no longer "confused" about open wheel racing. when they left hearn and della penna, that's the reason they gave.
k

Newman also has a long term relationship with Bud: they've been getting product placement in his films for years.

racer2c
09-25-03, 08:11 PM
I voted for Verizon. I think Verizon better fits a CART demographic better than a Bud or McDonalds. It's a tech company. It can market 'speed'. It's not hockin' $79 cheesburgers with a clown in winners circle.

F bud. They are too fickle. They're history with openwheel racing is as unpredictable as Liz Taylors next husband.

Although, I'd like to see Microsoft come in at some level too.

I think CART and tech firms would be a great match. AMD, HP, Dell, Linksys, etc.

Corner5
09-25-03, 08:13 PM
CART needs ALL of the above,wouldn't that be great?:cool:

Race Dog 99
09-25-03, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
Bud has Dale Jr. and their parent company is title for NASCAR's second tier.

McDonalds has lots of bucks, and would appeal to the youngsters, but lacks credibility, IMO.

Red Bull... UnderaCheever is without a sponsor. That's my vote.

Other... Microsoft.

I agree on all your points, however, I remember more Bud adds than Red Bull. I say Bud, will fit nicely with new direction and WILL create a BUZZ!

Race Dog 99
09-25-03, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by racer2c
[It's not hockin' $79 cheesburgers with a clown in winners circle.
[/B]

That's a hilarious vision and just will not do.

mapguy
09-26-03, 08:15 AM

Off all the wireless providers, Verizon is strongest. By a long shot. I wouldn't worry too much about their future. NEXTEL, on the other hand, is pretty weak. They aren't even one of the "Big Three" wireless providers. Verizon, Sprint PCS and Cingular are. My old CTO used to work for NEXTEL reporting directly to the McCaw's. From what he told me how they did business I am very surprised that they are still in business, never mind forking over major cash to NASCAR. I don't know where they got the money from. IMO it would be better spent building out thier small network. Add the fact that they are primarily a business oriented provider and are a little bit pricey for the personal user. Plus now their business is going to take a HUGE hit now that Verizon has direct connect and a network that is incredibly larger. A relative of mine manages a Verizon store in Upstate NY and they sold 750 direct connect packages within the first week of it's launch. :eek: I don't think that the average NEXTEL store does that in a month.

chop456
09-26-03, 08:33 AM
Plus, the ChampCar/"Can you hear me now?" commercials almost write themselves.

Turn7
09-26-03, 08:46 AM
Redbull seems to be the company with the most intrest in auto racing sponsorship. They are a proven sponsor but, I don't know if they are large enough and have the stamina to be a long term name that you wouldn't mind building a dynasty with. The ultimate is Winston and what they did with NASCAR and NHRA. They were commited to both series and integrated the name for a long term and built stability.

Redbull is commited today but, is it a fad drink in the Americas? If so, how long until they pull out?

Verison, very wealthy, large company. However, tech/telecom mergers happen often and who knows if the Verison name will be here next year? They were AT&T?, Aerial?, ect. not to long ago.

McDonalds fattened America in one generation with happy meals, maybe they can also get them interested in Champ Car racing? If you want to target the youth to build a fan base, Mickey D's is your partner of choice. Can you imagine all the happy meal champ car toys? Way cool.

Bud, well all I can say is FREE BEER. WOO HOOO!

mapguy
09-26-03, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Turn7
However, tech/telecom mergers happen often and who knows if the Verison name will be here next year? They were AT&T?, Aerial?, ect. not to long ago.

IIRC It was Bell Atlantic. AT&T is still kicking around. In fact AT&T Wireless is just starting a major network build here in the North East.

Bud, well all I can say is FREE BEER. WOO HOOO!

Budweiser isn't real beer. :D

Turn7
09-26-03, 09:00 AM
Any FREE, COLD beer is real good beer to me.

mapguy
09-26-03, 09:08 AM
Any FREE, COLD beer is real good beer to me.

Can't argue with that one.

Grunschev
09-26-03, 11:20 AM
Other... Microsoft.

Please, not MSFT. Anybody but MSFT. I'd as soon see CART funded by the Colombian drug cartel as MSFT.

Igor

Sean O'Gorman
09-26-03, 11:23 AM
Redbull seems to be the company with the most intrest in auto racing sponsorship. They are a proven sponsor but, I don't know if they are large enough and have the stamina to be a long term name that you wouldn't mind building a dynasty with. The ultimate is Winston and what they did with NASCAR and NHRA. They were commited to both series and integrated the name for a long term and built stability.

Redbull is commited today but, is it a fad drink in the Americas? If so, how long until they pull out?

Red Bull does 1.4 billion in sales a year, so they are probably the smallest of the companies mentioned, but would most likely be the most committed. Dietrich Mateschitz, who owns 49% of Red Bull, is now a billionaire, and the fact that hes a huge race fan is the reason why Red Bull is so involved in auto racing. The company has been around for some twenty years now, I'd assume that as long people can mix it with alcohol, it will be around in the U.S. :D

And, for the record, Mr. Mateschitz is #427 on Forbes' list of richest people in the world. A certain Ms. Hulman-George fell out of the top 400 for the U.S. alone back in 1999. :D

JLMannin
09-26-03, 12:38 PM
I voted for Verizon. I think their consumer demographics are a good fit with C/\RT. And they are stable, and will be around for a long time

Wheel-Nut
09-26-03, 12:51 PM
I voted RedBull, just to see the fallout over on tf!!

Any of those would be great title sponsors.

Jag_Warrior
09-26-03, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Grunschev
I'd as soon see CART funded by the Colombian drug cartel as MSFT.

Igor

Whayya mean? I really enjoyed IMSA during the 80's. ;)

CART better take what it can get. Beggars cannot be choosers. I'd prefer a high-tech or any consumer focused company (no more FedEx's!)... but I don't care if it's Pablo Escobar's widow.

Dr. Corkski
09-26-03, 01:42 PM
Red Bull and Smirnoff. Two things you will need if you plan on watching the Miami Autocross.

Grunschev
09-26-03, 02:59 PM
Jag_Warrior looks askance at Igor and replies
Whayya mean? I really enjoyed IMSA during the 80's. ;)

CART better take what it can get. Beggars cannot be choosers. I'd prefer a high-tech or any consumer focused company (no more FedEx's!)... but I don't care if it's Pablo Escobar's widow.

It's just one of those personal belief system things. I'd like a series sponsor I can support or be neutral to as opposed to one I go out of my way to avoid. I'm not suggesting that CART should avoid Microsoft if they come calling, just that I'd prefer just about anybody else.

Igor

Turn7
09-26-03, 03:20 PM
If MSFT were to sponsor CART, we could adapt the 3rd lap three finger salute. Except it we could hold up 2 on one hand an one on the other as in CTRL+ALT+DEL.:gomer: