PDA

View Full Version : Emmo wants to bring CART to my city!

molive
09-24-03, 04:52 PM
Before going to the US to take care of his team, Emerson met (last monday) with the Governor and some local business people here in Brasilia. He is planning to bring CART back to Brazil, and what place better than the capital? They are thinking of doing it either in a street course or in the Nelson Piquet Autodrome (dont mix it with Rio's track which also is named after NP).

If they choose the street thing, it will probably be very different from anything we have seen before, since Brasilia's streets (more like 6-8 lane avenues) are very wide and could result in a very fast track. In case they decide to use the Autodrome it will just need a little face-lift (in the pit areas and the run-off areas).

I hope it works out! :thumbup: :thumbup:

mueber
09-24-03, 05:12 PM
:cool: :thumbup:

JT265
09-24-03, 08:20 PM
double :thumbup:

scanman
09-25-03, 09:05 AM
They should return to Brazil...:thumbup:

RaceGrrl
09-25-03, 09:44 AM
Champ Cars do belong in Brazil.

KobySon
09-25-03, 10:35 AM
:thumbup:

I prefer Rio, but Brasilia would be cool. I'd love to have an excuse to go there!

The city layout was designed by a famous modernist architect, Oscar Niemeyer. The streets are layed out kind of strangely in a stacked Y shape like an airplane's wings. That might make for a tight cool corner.

CART does belong in Brasil.

molive
09-25-03, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by KobySon
:thumbup:

I prefer Rio, but Brasilia would be cool. I'd love to have an excuse to go there!

The city layout was designed by a famous modernist architect, Oscar Niemeyer. The streets are layed out kind of strangely in a stacked Y shape like an airplane's wings. That might make for a tight cool corner.

CART does belong in Brasil.

I actually think Rio is more suitable too, because the trip to Brasilia may up the costs a bit too much for the teams (we're 1,200km from Rio). BUT, Rio already hosts the Moto GP race, and I'd love to see some high level racing back here. We have Stock Cars, F-Renault, F-Truck, F3, etc. but nothing on this level for a long time (iirc we actually hosted a non-championship F1 race in the 70s but that was it).

Regarding the city's modernist layout, I think that, as an architect I must correct your info.:) The city's urban design was actually done by Lucio Costa and Oscar Niemeyer designed the main governmental buildings. They formed a really good pair and gave Brazil an unique city. If one wants to learn a bit more about the city, I wrote a short essay (http://www.geocities.com/capitolhill/3836/bsb2.html) about it. :cool:

KobySon
09-25-03, 02:20 PM
doh! :eek: thanks for the clarification...

molive
02-11-04, 07:36 AM
CART must continue to be international.

Kevin Kalkhoven (OWRS), Richard Eidswick (Cart), Emerson Fittipaldi, Bruno Junqueira, Mario Haberfeld, Roberto Moreno and Amilcare Dallevo (president of RedeTV! network) gave an interview today in Sao Paulo.

According to Kalkhoven, 20 countries have manifested their intent of holding a Champcar race. Brazil is the 1st on the list to be visited.

That is so cool if true .

Emerson, Kalkhoven and Eidswick are here in Brasilia, and will be meeting tomorrow with the local government, to discuss the idea of bringing CART (or OWRS) to the Brazilian capital in 2005.

Rio held the race from 96 to 00, but the Mayor and Emmo didnt get along very well. Now they plan to visit the Nelson Piquet Autodrome (NP is the administrator of the track, and will be there as well) and check what will need to be done to bring it up to standards (IMO, not much, the track is a bit abrasive but has a great layout).

And RedeTV (Brazilian open channel net) will be airing all the races live this season! :D

RTKar
02-11-04, 07:55 AM
With it's history of driving talent and the amount sure to follow, Brazil definitely needs a race. Plant the seed in the up and comers that there is an alternative to F1. The fans are so passionate. The country deserves more than one major open wheel race a year.

Chaos
02-11-04, 09:50 AM
As long as OWRS and all its participants don't pay a dime, i'm all for it.

jonovision_man
02-11-04, 10:30 AM
With it's history of driving talent and the amount sure to follow, Brazil definitely needs a race. Plant the seed in the up and comers that there is an alternative to F1. The fans are so passionate. The country deserves more than one major open wheel race a year.

It'd get some of those Brazilian sponsorship dollars and drivers out of the IRL and into CART, too. A no-brainer, really, CART already has Brazilian content.

Just hope it goes better than the last attempt... :rolleyes:

jono

Kiwifan
02-11-04, 01:55 PM
It sounds positive for Brasil and CART. :) BTW, what happened to said mayor? Is he still in politics? Even though it's an unusual track I was sad to see it go, wildly shaking fist at the mayor. Grrr.

Rusty.

molive
02-12-04, 11:22 AM
Herre's a pic of the Brasilia circuit:

http://www.aloisioracing.com.br/autodromo.jpg

It sounds positive for Brasil and CART. :) BTW, what happened to said mayor? Is he still in politics? Even though it's an unusual track I was sad to see it go, wildly shaking fist at the mayor. Grrr.

Rusty.

Rusty, AFAIK that Mayor is still around. Rio is candidate to host the Olympic games, and I think they have plans to use the Jacarepagua Autodrome as part of the development (the track is in real danger of disappearing). As for the CART Rio track, I wasnt a big fan of it, and I think it was the wrong approach to take. If they wanted to have an oval race, then they should have built a real oval track (that would have been a nice novelty fo local fans). As it turned out, the track was neither a real oval nor a real road course. It kinda set me off a bit.

Kiwifan
02-12-04, 03:03 PM
Thanks, that track looks cool.

I only saw Rio on telly two or three times? but from my armchair playing Newman Haas Racing on the PS1 it was hell on wheels! :) :) Then again, according to my son I suck at all racing games. ;)

Take care.

Rusty.

nz_climber
02-12-04, 03:27 PM
Yeah it does look a cool track :thumbup:

Rusty, we all suck at racing games compared to Jase! :saywhat:

jonovision_man
02-13-04, 09:56 AM
Interesting Molson story that may end up being relevant:

Molson in Brazil (http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1076627413472)

Summary:
Molson spent $1B (!) buying beer-maker Cervejarias Kaiser, who make Bavaria. At the time it was Brazil's 2nd best selling beer, but then Molson muffed it and sales have plunged. Now they are putting a huge effort into advertising to save this investment.

What better way than to put on a race that will probably make money within a few years and sell/market beer?

jono