PDA

View Full Version : Al Unser Jr to come home to CART in 04?

Moto-Guzzi
09-24-03, 09:30 AM
Word at 7g rummors is several sources have said AL is shopping for a ride in CART next year:eek: I tend to go with the conventional wisdom here and thinks he is a bit over the hill. But then again if he were to be contrite, and by some chance is still can drive at the top it might not be a bad thing?

Don Quixote
09-24-03, 09:42 AM
Although the reaction on the other side would be great, we need to just say no to opie.

JoeBob
09-24-03, 10:03 AM
I'd think Al is shopping for a ride wherever a paying gig might be available. He'd also get to spend more time with his son.

FRANKY
09-24-03, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by JoeBob
I'd think Al is shopping for a ride wherever a paying gig might be available. He'd also get to spend more time with his son.

I think you have that right.

RedLine
09-24-03, 10:45 AM
It's twilight time for Al, Jr.

I hope he just goes quietly and happily.

pchall
09-24-03, 12:32 PM
Poor Al... TG dumps a reported $20 million on salary and subsidizing a car and now won't pony up for a "retirement" tour.

rabbit
09-24-03, 12:33 PM
It's fashionable to bash Al, and while I never was a huge fan of his, he gave me a lot of memories behind the wheel of a car. The guy was magic on street courses. I hope he's turned a corner in his life and has put his past troubles behind him. I also hope he has and/or is making ammends with his kids. I always loved to hear him say hello to Al and Cody in his post-race interviews. It's probably unlikely he'd be real competitive against the younger crop of drivers, but he might surprise. I do think he'd make a great mentor to a young up-and-comer.

chop456
09-24-03, 12:40 PM
No, thanks.

devilmaster
09-24-03, 12:42 PM
is this all because he's gone to Miami to see his daughter?

I mean, part of his recovery is admitting to his kids and wife he effed up.....

Just curious.

Steve

RaceGrrl
09-24-03, 12:52 PM
I'm sure Jr. is just looking for a paycheck. As a fan, after his CART bashing of a few years ago, I've got no use for him.

Jonezzy_33
09-24-03, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by RedLine
It's twilight time for Al, Jr.

I hope he just goes quietly and happily.

Agreed

mueber
09-24-03, 01:23 PM
Junior’s behavior when he left for the Gomer League was insufferable. Here is a chance for us to be better.

Although I don’t give this rumor a snowball’s chance of panning out, if it does, I’m going to try to be nice.

Now if Penske tries to come back, that's different.

Treeface
09-24-03, 01:50 PM
I could call around to CART shops and have the same chance of getting a seat. The man made some very bad choices the least of which involved the IRL. I wish him well and hope he gets to a sane, sober and happy place.

Chaos
09-24-03, 01:50 PM
Despite his driving record, I can't say I've ever been a fan of his.

Hardpoint
09-24-03, 05:24 PM
I have no use for him. I was never a fan of his but at least respected his career. After what he's done and where he's been the last few years, not a chance.

mapguy
09-24-03, 06:08 PM
Al can go and eff himself. He'd have a hard time getting within a second of Mario Domiguez now.

Hey Al, aren't you glad you listened to Toney?

indyfan31
09-24-03, 07:38 PM
Quite a few of you (as well as 7Gers) have a short memory when you want to. He didn't "leave" CART, he got tossed. If your job is to race cars you go where they pay you to do it.

mapguy
09-24-03, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by indyfan31
Quite a few of you (as well as 7Gers) have a short memory when you want to. He didn't "leave" CART, he got tossed. If your job is to race cars you go where they pay you to do it.

He got tossed alright. He deserved it. Just compare the results between him and PT in 1997.

He was phoning in the results while PT was putting his balls on the line.

He made his bed and Toney can tuck him in.

JT265
09-24-03, 08:11 PM
Aw man!!!! Talk about conflicting emotions!!!

That would be like watching your mother-in-law diving off of a cliff in your new Thunderbird!!!!

On the one hand, that would drive Hooter and Turn 13(including all of his alias) crazy wild, considering the "disrespect" factor, cause it's all about "respect" you unnerstand,

and on the other hand, I have it on good authority that a former teammate of his ain't real struck on him at all. (but would likely love to wax his ass)

fo schizzle indeed. ;)

Tim
09-24-03, 09:07 PM
Probably a corrolation with Budweiser being mentioned as a possible title sponsor.

trubritz
09-24-03, 09:26 PM
In no sentence can I ever imagine the words CART, Al Unser Jr and Home appearing.

racer2c
09-24-03, 09:43 PM
From a pure racer perspective, I seriously doubt Al jr could compete on road courses with the CART boys. From a personality perspective...if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all...I aint' saying a word.

RTKar
09-24-03, 09:52 PM
It's time for him to retire.....or go to NASCAR for the next 20 years.

FRANKY
09-24-03, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
He got tossed alright. He deserved it. Just compare the results between him and PT in 1997.

He was phoning in the results while PT was putting his balls on the line.

He made his bed and Toney can tuck him in.

Yes I see your point. In 97 Tracy finished 5th in points. Jr. finished 13th.

Jr. finished two positions above Tracy in 98, but neither were steller.

Al finished out 21st in points, Tracy was 3rd.

rosawendel
09-24-03, 10:24 PM
my ex wife loved him. i thought he was the only marlboro driver i was aware of to actually use the product. still, he did drive the hell out of cleveland once upon a time....

racer2c
09-24-03, 10:33 PM
Al owned Vancouver. He liked the street courses. Hmmm.

JT265
09-24-03, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by rosawendel
my ex wife loved him. i thought he was the only marlboro driver i was aware of to actually use the product. still, he did drive the hell out of cleveland once upon a time....

That's ok rosawendel, she'da been MY ex-wife too if that was the case.

j/k ;)

FRANKY
09-24-03, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by racer2c
Al owned Vancouver. He liked the street courses. Hmmm.

He owned Long Beach too.

Very good driver in his prime.