PDA

View Full Version : Contrived Vs Contrived

FRANKY
09-22-03, 09:54 PM
Not spy vs spy.

After watching wind bag I thought I would toss this out.

NASCAR racing back to yellow gentleman's agreement Vs First car down gets free pass.

cart7
09-22-03, 10:33 PM
I didn't see tunnel, but as far as I'm concerned, you have to earn you're way back onto the lead lap.(and I don't mean racing back to the yellow). Anything else is artificially changing the outcome of a drivers position at the end of the race and isn't really interesting to me.

I'm against the replay rule in football as well. I'm one of those pain in the *ss purists I guess. :D

JLMannin
09-23-03, 12:16 PM
The first guy one lap down getting on the lead lap sounds like something from roller-derby or something.

Turn7
09-23-03, 01:45 PM
What happens if the only car off of the lead lap is 2 laps down? Do they get to go around twice? Just once? Not at all?

JoeBob
09-23-03, 02:15 PM
http://jayski.thatsracin.com/pages/caution-rule2003.htm

The way that procedure'll work is number one, everybody needs to understand that it's the highest scored position not on the lead lap. It won't be the car closest to the leader. In other words, if there's 21 cars on the lead lap, the competitor that'll be affected by receiving that lap back will be the 22nd on the scoreboard, okay? Now the way that will be done, is that lineup will be compiled and that position will be decided before pit road opens, so that if that competitor is a lap down, he still pits with the lap-down cars and exits with the lap-down cars. Before we resume the race, we will move that competitor around the pace car and to the tail end of the lead lap. He will not be able to advance any scored positions. What'll happen is he will receive one lap back. And that competitor may two laps down, may be four laps down. It'll be the first car not on the lead lap.

FRANKY
09-23-03, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
What happens if the only car off of the lead lap is 2 laps down? Do they get to go around twice? Just once? Not at all?

Pretty crazy. But they get one lap back.

I'm guessing that they wanted to find a way to allow people their lap back without batttling with the leader from going a lap down, that situation would have created a real "rubin is racin".

They could have eliminated the new rule and eliminated the restart rule of having lapped cars line up on the inside of lead lap cars, but it would have lead to more accidents than ever before!

pchall
09-23-03, 02:24 PM
Several post race interviews with Ryan Newman indicated that he thought "first guy a lap down gets his lap back" sucked, even though it helped him win.

Turn7
09-23-03, 02:27 PM
What incentive does the last person have on the lead lap have to stay on the lead lap?

If the leaders are coming up fast, why fight them? Just move over and let them by because next time Larry spins or bumps the wall your right back at the tail end of the leaders.

FRANKY
09-23-03, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
What incentive does the last person have on the lead lap have to stay on the lead lap?

If the leaders are coming up fast, why fight them? Just move over and let them by because next time Larry spins or bumps the wall your right back at the tail end of the leaders.

I think there is less incentive to stay on the lead lap, (with or without LF) except that once you get lapped, it instantly creates a race within a race, the first and second cars a lap down are going to race with each other harder to be first in line.

EDwardo
09-24-03, 12:19 AM
Next youre gonna tell me that IRL throws yellows to keep backmarkers from being lapped.........

RobGuru
09-24-03, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by EDwardo
Next youre gonna tell me that IRL throws yellows to keep backmarkers from being lapped.........

Naw... it's only for Sham!

Andrew Longman
09-24-03, 11:06 PM
The Gentlemans Agreement is only slightly better because it is not controlled by NASCAR and doesn't always happen (e.g RG at Sears Point), which can make things interesting.

Both are stupid and unprofessional.