PDA

View Full Version : Sham pulls the pin.

mapguy
09-22-03, 12:34 PM
..allrighty then. Thanks to Pancho Carter it looks like my suspicions have been confirmed about Sham's crapwagon being more equal than others. Let's review here:

1. The 'Pull the pin' comment has been made twice. Once in the Cosworth's first race at Michigan. Sam pulls away. Ditto at Fontucky.

2. irl officials high fiving themselves when Sham gets pole in his second race with the Cosworth.

3. Reports that Sham's car gets a wave through at tech.

4. No other Cosworths on the lead lap at Fontucky.

This ain't passing the sniff test...

:thumdown:

JLMannin
09-22-03, 12:36 PM
Some teams use lead for ballast, Panther uses compresses gas bottles . . . . . . :p

devilmaster
09-22-03, 12:37 PM
If you put a pig in a dress......

Its still Sarah Fisher...

Steve

Chief
09-22-03, 01:09 PM
Hey, maybe it's time to whip out the "Toyota stinks" chant and make sure it gets around. I mean, what with the level playing field and such. I'm sure they'd get a kick out of it.

RichK
09-22-03, 01:24 PM
I'd just like to mention here that I like the word "Fontucky".

Thank you.

FRANKY
09-22-03, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
..allrighty then. Thanks to Pancho Carter it looks like my suspicions have been confirmed about Sham's crapwagon being more equal than others. Let's review here:

1. The 'Pull the pin' comment has been made twice. Once in the Cosworth's first race at Michigan. Sam pulls away. Ditto at Fontucky.

2. irl officials high fiving themselves when Sham gets pole in his second race with the Cosworth.

3. Reports that Sham's car gets a wave through at tech.

4. No other Cosworths on the lead lap at Fontucky.

This ain't passing the sniff test...

:thumdown:

Didn't watch the race. I'd guess that Panther who has without question the best setups, just keeps on rolling.

Wave through tech is BS. The other teams would park it in protest.

Even Scott Goodyear won in the car before Sam. :laugh: That should give a clue as to Barnes figuring something out when it comes to the car.

The other Cosworths are Sarah, Buhl, IV, Cheever, and who knows who else. No driver or team the calibur of Panther/Hornish.

"Pull the pin" "Put it in gear" It's just lingo not grassy knoll stuff.

RichK
09-22-03, 01:35 PM
Didn't watch the race. I'd guess that Panther who has without question the best setups, just keeps on rolling.

On such a handling track as Fontucky? They don't even use the whole track.

After watching only a certain number of teams qualify on "bump day" so as NOT to bump Sarah Fisher, after hearing team owners say that "it's obvious the IRL wants Sam to win", and after seeing the IRL change engine rules mid-season, I wouldn't hold it past the IRL to wave Sham through.

FRANKY
09-22-03, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by RichK

On such a handling track as Fontucky? They don't even use the whole track.

After watching only a certain number of teams qualify on "bump day" so as NOT to bump Sarah Fisher, after hearing team owners say that "it's obvious the IRL wants Sam to win", and after seeing the IRL change engine rules mid-season, I wouldn't hold it past the IRL to wave Sham through.

I agree about the creepy politics to get a full field of 33 but not bump anyone. Then to hear Jenks blather about it.

But handling is always worth a few horsepower, the Ford puts it over the top.

Grassy Knoll talk is a shortcut answer avoiding other possibilities. I know I will have to wait and see how Penske/Sam and Sam's replacement compare.

Railbird
09-22-03, 08:44 PM
Panther is a hell of an outfit and I have no doubts that the chemistry between Sam and those boys has produced a tough combination.

But what the hell?

I heard Barron start yelping about a "change in pitch" in Sam's engine after the "pull the pin" call at Michigan.

I don't know if it's a "push to pass" kind of deal or some magic Cosworth has worked out with the ecm, but it's not imaginary, it's real.

now surely, with a level playing field and all, Sarah has the same option.

what I really can't believe is no mention from the other teams.

FRANKY
09-22-03, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
I heard Barron start yelping about a "change in pitch" in Sam's engine after the "pull the pin" call at Michigan.

what I really can't believe is no mention from the other teams.

If it is something that a driver can turn on or off then there would be a button for him to push. Not only would someone mention it but I would suspect that they would make a scene yanking the steering wheel from him.

I think Toyota or Honda would go ballistic. I think Cheever would be griping more than T&H. I wonder if it was something, would it be something that Hornish could take to Penske with him?

Besides just sniffing, are there any suggestion what if anything could it be?

pchall
09-22-03, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by FRANKY

Besides just sniffing, are there any suggestion what if anything could it be?

Paul Page spent some time blathering about all the buttons the driver could press for better performance after that comment made it on air. He even spoke of the special "by manufacturer's permission only" button... seemed odd that he spewed so much right after the "pin was pulled."

lone_groover
09-22-03, 09:19 PM
Nothing too complicated here. Cornish gets more baseline revs than anybody else so he can run more downforce and scoot around the corner faster than the other suck-@ss drones. Then, when he hits the full-rich/push-to-pass switch (which is legal and everybody has), he gets proportionally more power than the other suck-@ss drones.

Sham sucks......and he's ugly.

FRANKY
09-22-03, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by pchall
Paul Page spent some time blathering about all the buttons the driver could press for better performance after that comment made it on air. He even spoke of the special "by manufacturer's permission only" button... seemed odd that he spewed so much right after the "pin was pulled."

Is it a fuel/air button that changes the flow of both to increase horsepower? A button that acts like an electric overdrive?

Barron have it while driving for... some Chevy team this weekend, wasn't it?

pchall
09-22-03, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by FRANKY
Is it a fuel/air button that changes the flow of both to increase horsepower? A button that acts like an electric overdrive?

Page mentioned every kind of button except supercharger overboost and water injection.

Fuel/air ratio
engine mapping
ignition voltage

He was rattling on like mad: I thought it was slight of mouth to obscure the "pull the pin" comment from the Panther pits.

Railbird
09-22-03, 09:43 PM
I guess the real question is:

Does Sarah have "the pin"?

too many jokes, too little time

lone_groover
09-22-03, 09:48 PM
I don't think ANYBODY has EVER told that porcine pilóte to pull ANYTHING !

cart7
09-22-03, 09:55 PM
If Sam can get more speed by pulling the pin, why can't Helio do the same when he jerks it off?

Inquiring minds want to know. :p

eiregosod
09-22-03, 11:00 PM
chevy cheating under the guise of the cosworth!!

with about 10 laps to go Sam was 3rd, i wondered how long it would be before he'd hit the front :rolleyes: , within a lap he had zoomed on by! :rolleyes:

lateralus42
09-22-03, 11:48 PM
IRL racing is unwatchable. If they ever unify I hope to God they continue to use champ cars and not these tonka toys that stick to the track....:shakehead

JohnHKart
09-23-03, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by lateralus42
IRL racing is unwatchable. If they ever unify I hope to God they continue to use champ cars and not these tonka toys that stick to the track....:shakehead

Winston Cup cars are better looking than those crapwagons!!!

JH

DjDrOmusic
09-25-03, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster
If you put a pig in a dress......

Its still Sarah Fisher...

Steve

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That settles it, I'm going to try to get Sarah to make the trip into town from Commercial Point on Nov. 2nd and we'll ask her to put on a dress just for you Steve!!

Lizzerd
09-25-03, 07:59 PM
Please, for the love of God, Doc, don't do that to us.

Kiwifan
09-25-03, 09:33 PM
I remember Scott Dixon on TV after he came in 2nd to the Cosworth a month or so ago and I thought it was quite funny when he used the two finger quotation marks to talk about the "engine package."

If the Teams aren't saying anything publically I'll bet they are amongst themselves. ;)Time will tell.

Rusty.

devilmaster
09-25-03, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by DjDrOmusic
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That settles it, I'm going to try to get Sarah to make the trip into town from Commercial Point on Nov. 2nd and we'll ask her to put on a dress just for you Steve!!

If you don't want me to go to Woo Doggie's - just tell me dude.

Steve

Railbird
09-25-03, 09:52 PM
Rusty

I know for a fact that Toyota petitioned the powers that be for a new head design shortly after they welcomed the Cosworth.

can of worms

now opened

eiregosod
09-25-03, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
Rusty

I know for a fact that Toyota petitioned the powers that be for a new head design shortly after they welcomed the Cosworth.

can of worms

now opened

sounds like 2001 all over again :eek:

DjDrOmusic
09-29-03, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
Please, for the love of God, Doc, don't do that to us.

:D on second thought....

DjDrOmusic
09-29-03, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by devilmaster
If you don't want me to go to Woo Doggie's - just tell me dude.

Steve

Now do you honestly think I'd do that to you??? ;)