PDA

View Full Version : LCD Monitors.

mapguy
09-22-03, 07:17 AM
My 3 year old Gateway monitor is starting to flake out on me. Luckily for me the prices of LCD's are coming down and I am looking at getting one. I am looking at either a 18.1" or a 19". (The one I have now is 17") I want to keep the price in the $500-600 range. Any suggestions on make/model? Store to buy from?

rocket
09-22-03, 07:26 AM
I picked one up a couple months back, from Best Buy, I don't remember for sure, but I think it's pretty close to that price range. it's the Mitshbishi DiamondPoint NX86LCD, size 18.1 inches.....the screen:p It's great for stuff I mess with, minor graphics stuff, gaming etc., but if you want a high end monitor you'll blow $$$$.

I'm surprised the gateway monitor made it that lon, I was told that they are the cheapest thing on the market.

MAXAR RE
09-22-03, 01:59 PM
If you are willing to play the rebate game, you can get some awesome deals through this site. :)
http://www.edealinfo.com/DDCategAll/monitors.shtml

TABLE OF CONTENT
Microtek® C997 19" LCD Flat Panel Monitor (Mfr# 1104-03-990228) » only $578.78 + Free Shipping

Dell UltraSharp 1800FP 18.1" Flat Panel LCD Monitor » only $423.20 + Free Shipping

Dell UltraSharp 1901FP 19" Flat Panel LCD Monitor » only $519.20 + Free Shipping

KDS Radius RAD-9p 19" LCD Multimedia Monitor » only $499.99

NEC MultiSync LCD1860NX-BK 18" LCD Monitor » only $488.99 + Free Shipping

Mitsubishi DiamondPoint 18" Digital Multimedia LCD Flat-Panel Monitor (Model: NX86LCD-BK) » only $419.23 Shipped

Kogi L7EH-BL 17" LCD Monitor » only $288.99 + Free Shipping

NESOUSA PIXO AT700S 17" LCD Monitor w/Speakers + 5" Black & White TV » only $289.90 + Free Shipping

mapguy
09-22-03, 02:04 PM
I don't really feel like buying it online as we made the decision to buy yesterday and tomorrow I am buying one. I'm an impatient bastid. :)

BestBuy has a Samsung 19" for $599 after rebate. Anyone had any dealings with Samsung monitors?

Cam
09-22-03, 02:22 PM
A friend of mine bought one of these MAG (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384723560&skuId=5388653&type=product&cmp=%20%20) monitors at BB a week ago. It was a better deal last week than what they show. I think there was a hefty rebate on it. You may check into in store tho. Nice crisp picture and the built in speakers are not bad at all.

Warlock!
09-22-03, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
Anyone had any dealings with Samsung monitors? Yeah, but mine's just your average 19" monitor... not LCD. I love it though, and it was a bargain at the time.

Warlock!

mapguy
09-22-03, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Cam
A friend of mine bought one of these MAG (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384723560&skuId=5388653&type=product&cmp=%20%20) monitors at BB a week ago. It was a better deal last week than what they show. I think there was a hefty rebate on it. You may check into in store tho. Nice crisp picture and the built in speakers are not bad at all.

I'll check em out.

rocket
09-22-03, 06:13 PM
My daughter has a Mag monitor on her computer, and I know a couple other folks that have them...and they seem to be just fine.

Sean O'Gorman
09-22-03, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by rocket
My daughter has a Mag monitor on her computer, and I know a couple other folks that have them...and they seem to be just fine.

I have a MAG monitor (19", non-LCD), no problems with it, and it was dirt cheap.

JT265
09-22-03, 07:18 PM
I don't really feel like buying it online as we made the decision to buy yesterday and tomorrow I am buying one. I'm an impatient bastid. :)

BestBuy has a Samsung 19" for $599 after rebate. Anyone had any dealings with Samsung monitors?

Smartest thing to do Mapper is this. Buy two of 'em, send one to me, and I will give you my full unbiased report on it in six months or so. :D

mapguy
09-22-03, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Smartest thing to do Mapper is this. Buy two of 'em, send one to me, and I will give you my full unbiased report on it in six months or so. :D

Listen here Nancy boy. I'll tell ya what. I'll leave the monitor in the dumpster behind the Rainbow Restaurant on Brock only if you walk into the Dynasty with a purple carnation stapled to your butt. :D

JT265
09-22-03, 07:46 PM
Listen here Nancy boy. I'll tell ya what. I'll leave the monitor in the dumpster behind the Rainbow Restaurant on Brock only if you walk into the Dynasty with a purple carnation stapled to your butt. :D

DEAL!!!!!!! :D

As long as I can farm the Dynasty excursion onto Warlock! or sumpin.

(I don't have topped up medical coverage, and I hate the thought of convalesing on a ward) ;)

nz_climber
09-22-03, 07:53 PM
I have a ViewSonic FlatScreen CRT, no problems at all, and good picture compared to similar priced models over here

Not sure on their LCD range thou...

/me dreams of an LCD .... (to expensive here)

mapguy
09-23-03, 06:53 PM
Well, I didn't get a 19" LCD after all. Since the PC that we had was 3 years old we decided to go for a new one. Just got it hooked up. Compaq Presario 2.4GHz with Hyper-Threading. 512 DDR Ram and a 120 G HD. Plus a 17" Samsung LCD. ;) All for $1500 including tax and a 2 year protection program. Man what a difference this monitor makes.

nz_climber
09-23-03, 08:13 PM
Nice :)

I got a new puter at work not long ago similar specs (only 40GB HDD) and had a 17" LCD but the boss decided that LCD looks better on her desk - so Im stuck with a fuzzy old 17" crt that is so broke that the brightness is right up and still to dull to work on!!

/me still wishes for an LCD

devilmaster
09-23-03, 08:16 PM
Well, I didn't get a 19" LCD after all. Since the PC that we had was 3 years old we decided to go for a new one. Just got it hooked up. Compaq Presario 2.4GHz with Hyper-Threading. 512 DDR Ram and a 120 G HD. Plus a 17" Samsung LCD. ;) All for $1500 including tax and a 2 year protection program. Man what a difference this monitor makes.

You should have asked us for computer advice too dude! :shakehead

Next thing you know, you'll be using AOL. :laugh:

Steve

mapguy
09-23-03, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster
You should have asked us for computer advice too dude! :shakehead

Next thing you know, you'll be using AOL. :laugh:

Steve

:saywhat:

It was the best package that I could afford.

FRANKY
09-23-03, 08:19 PM

My friend bought the same one at our local Staples back to school specials last month before school was back in session. He was kicking himself because he missed out on the 2.0GHz 20G for $275 (regularly $499.00) and bought yours for $499.00 (+tax) with the regular screen. I still have no idea what Hyper-Threading is, and for what he uses it for I doubt it matters.

mapguy
09-23-03, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by FRANKY
My friend bought the same one at our local Staples back to school specials last month before school was back in session. He was kicking himself because he missed out on the 2.0GHz 20G for $275 (regularly $499.00) and bought yours for $499.00 (+tax) with the regular screen. I still have no idea what Hyper-Threading is, and for what he uses it for I doubt it matters.

The standard 2.4 goes for ~$500. The Hyper-Threading is more expensive. The price I paid just for the box was $700 and that doesn't include the $50 rebate that I got. Basically it acts like it has dual processors and is much faster than a standard 2.4.

FRANKY
09-23-03, 08:38 PM
The standard 2.4 goes for ~$500. The Hyper-Threading is more expensive. The price I paid just for the box was $700 and that doesn't include the $50 rebate that I got. Basically it acts like it has dual processors and is much faster than a standard 2.4.

I told him I thought he got quite a deal! I wasn't looking the the hyper-threading, I was looking at the 120 GHD that is 6 times larger than mine! The other computer that I thought was so cheap he could have resold it on e-bay if they still had it in stock.

I just didn't like the keyboard, I'm the Logitech wireless type.

mapguy
09-23-03, 08:40 PM
I told him I thought he got quite a deal! I wasn't looking the the hyper-threading, I was looking at the 120 GHD that is 6 times larger than mine! The other computer that I thought was so cheap he could have resold it on e-bay if they still had it in stock.

I just didn't like the keyboard, I'm the Logitech wireless type.

I needed the Hyper Threading technology as I do Oracle and Java dev work from home. My old Gateway couldn't hack having Oracle installed on it so it was time to upgrade.

FRANKY
09-23-03, 08:51 PM
I needed the Hyper Threading technology as I do Oracle and Java dev work from home. My old Gateway couldn't hack having Oracle installed on it so it was time to upgrade.

With all the new stuff you should be a happy camper, what firewall will you use?

mapguy
09-23-03, 09:03 PM
With all the new stuff you should be a happy camper, what firewall will you use?

Linksys Firewall Router.

JT265
09-23-03, 09:16 PM

Well, if he was SMART, he would use the firewall I tore out of my '77 Gremlin.

Of course, I have it installed in my home office.

Mappy, email me for my FedEx account number so you can send that badboy this way so we can protect it for you. ;)

mapguy
09-23-03, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Well, if he was SMART, he would use the firewall I tore out of my '77 Gremlin.

Of course, I have it installed in my home office.

Mappy, email me for my FedEx account number so you can send that badboy this way so we can protect it for you. ;)

No doin' there JT. I managed to rip the firewall out of my parent's old Renault Alliance hoping one day that it would be usefull. Good thing was this fine piece of French Engineering was made in Kenosha, Wisconson or else it would be surrendering to anybody hacking onto my system.

JT265
09-23-03, 09:25 PM
No doin' there JT. I managed to rip the firewall out of my parent's old Renault Alliance hoping one day that it would be usefull. Good thing was this fine piece of French Engineering was made in Kenosha, Wisconson or else it would be surrendering to anybody hacking onto my system.

oui. :D

Cam
09-23-03, 09:43 PM

DAMN!!! I forgot what it was like buying retail! :eek:

nz_climber
09-24-03, 12:09 AM
My comment "nice" does not take into account prices since i know things are meant to be cheaper over there, so not sure of going rates... :gomer:

You running winblows? or linux ??