PDA

View Full Version : Questions about firewalls

rocket
09-21-03, 01:25 PM
OK I'm wondering if I need to worry about this, I don't do any bill paying online, or have a computer full of critical information, but I now wonder with the DSL should I use a firewall? when my computer goes to sleep it appears to disconnect from the net, since I have to reconnect when I wake it up. Should I worry about anything here? I was looking at the Norton 2003 Personal Firewall program, figuring since Norton is the virus program I run, it would integrate without any problem. Is is a pain to setup a firewall program? My brother had one when he was using dialup, because he did stuff for work out of his house on his computer. When he switched to a high speed connection it really threw the program for a loop and he wound up uninstalling it because of the problems it was causing, and putting in a router. I also understand that if you get a DSL router, that also acts as a firewall, because when it hits the router, your "adress" changes between that and the computer, so it is different from the original on the modem? Is this true, or a bunch of hooey?
Thanks for any input.

Cam
09-21-03, 01:35 PM
Yes the router acts as a firewall, since it is assigned the external IP addy. Your computer is then assigned an internal IP, generally 192.168,x,x range. Any nasties that hit the firewall simply get blocked unless you have port forwarding on.

I have used the free version of zonealarm on a few computers and it works nicely. Even blocked blaster from unpatched Win2K machines. It also plays OK with Symantec antivirus too.

HTH
Cam.

Classic Apex
09-21-03, 01:37 PM
YES !

rocket, I have DSL also. A few months ago I installed Norton Internet Security (firewall) on my PC. Typically it will block 2-3 "hacker-intrusion" attempts, daily, minimum.

I installed the same program on my mothers PC a few weeks ago. I was there a few days ago, checked her status, and she had 26 attempted hacks in the last 3-4 weeks.

So yeah, definitely look into getting one.

rocket
09-21-03, 01:48 PM
So a router is just a simple firewall, I just will not be made aware of any hacker attempts, due to the fact that it is more of a "manual", instead of an active one like a program.

From what I understand alot of the hackers hits you may get are not always looking to steal your information, but an attempt to go through several other IP addy's to cover thier tracks for whatever it is they are doing. True? Not?

Cam
09-21-03, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by rocket
So a router is just a simple firewall, I just will not be made aware of any hacker attempts, due to the fact that it is more of a "manual", instead of an active one like a program.

Pretty much. My Linksys router you can actually upload Zonealarm to it for an extra level of security if you are really paranoid.

[i]From what I understand alot of the hackers hits you may get are not always looking to steal your information, but an attempt to go through several other IP addy's to cover thier tracks for whatever it is they are doing. True? Not?

There are always constant port scans all over the net. One that is common are spammers trying to find an open mail relay that they can use to bounce their spam off and hide the originating location. So yes.... True. You never know what these script kiddies are gonna do when they find something wide open.

Cam.

Kiwifan
09-21-03, 02:37 PM
I've used ZA Free version in the past and this year I updated to Pro. I believe they are well worth the effort of installing, even if it's just the free one.

I turned the alerts off after a week as I was getting 100s per day but most of them were just pings from sites I had been to. Ones I couldn't explain I tried to track down but in the end I just gave up and put my trust in ZA and in three years they haven't let me down. :)

Can't help you with the router as I'm still on dialup for another month. :(

Rusty.

nz_climber
09-21-03, 04:10 PM
Im with every one else on this one, get a firewall :)

Zone Alarm is good cause its free, but I did have issues at somestage, and it blocked outlook, and no matter what I did I couldn't get it to work again.... (probably user error ;) )

Another free one I use is Sygate Personal firewall, and its as good as zone alarm.

I did use norton Internet sercurity as well, but the subscription run out... it worked, but it tended to hide information deep below the surface, good for stardard user thou

Kiwifan
09-21-03, 06:16 PM
Good advice Aaron. Where have you been mate?? :p

I'll email you from work regarding OC donation.

Rusty.