PDA

View Full Version : Mikey on Wind Bag

nrc
09-18-03, 11:58 PM
Mikey appeared on Wind Bag tonight. In spite of his Honda script he declared that CART in the early to mid '90s was the greatest open wheel series ever. He claimed that the IRL could be just like that *when* (not if) they add a bunch of road and street courses.

Of course what Mikey fails to take into account is that CART wasn't running Crapwagons and many CART fans will never, ever support a Tony George run series. If you put a dress on a pig it's still pork.

Hats off to Despain for reading Mikey a scathing letter about he and his fellow turncoats on the air.

Also interesting, Mikey was very vague about Franchitti. We hear he's doing well and we really hope he'll be back next year? Doesn't sound like Dario is spending a lot of time at the shop.

Worst moment of the interview - suggesting that Marco might eventually run the Crapwagon Jr. series. No parent in their right mind would put their kid in those cars on a speedway.

DaveL
09-19-03, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by nrc
Hats off to Despain for reading Mikey a scathing letter about he and his fellow turncoats on the air.

What was Mikey's response?

Treeface
09-19-03, 12:47 AM
He claimed that the IRL could be just like that *when* (not if) they add a bunch of road and street courses.

Did he explain why "when" wasn't next year?

He can pound sand. :thumdown:

FMikey :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

FRANKY
09-19-03, 01:06 AM
CART WAS THE GREATEST OPEN WHEEL SERIES IN THE MID 90'S.

I know business is business but the best Michael could have done was retire after the 02' season. But HONDA would have waived the green stuff under Paul Tracy's nose and it would have been Team Tracy/Green. It's a money game.

SteveH
09-19-03, 01:25 AM
CART WAS THE GREATEST OPEN WHEEL SERIES IN THE MID 90'S.

Too bad someone didn't ask Honda Boy why he left it to go fail in F1.

And to think I got up early on Sunday morning to watch that cheap punk trash those McLarens. At least I was able to go back to bed soon after the race started.

JT265
09-19-03, 07:44 AM
FRANKY,

They DID wave the green stuff under Paul's nose. Lots of it. So far, my (and Railbird's ;) ) boy has fought the good fight.

FRANKY
09-19-03, 10:29 AM
Honda didn't waive ownership money. If Michael had turned down Honda they would have gotten someone else and Michael would have had to race for _________ in CART in 03' or retire.

I can't count on two fingers strong enough teams for Dixon, Kanaan, Wheldon, Andretti to stay in CART with. Business kept drivers in CART when the IRL was created, business is what led them out. It's a pisser.

Chief
09-19-03, 10:58 AM
Oh no, Mikey said it was the IPO of CART to the stockmarket that forced them all away.

That interview left me un-satisfied and made me feel like Mike had turned into one of the "Stepford Wives (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheStepfordWives-1074503/about.php) ". The reason he believes TG has the right idea is because he has Indy. By adding roads/streets to the IRL he'd have mid-'90's CART again, all under TG's leadership. No one cared to inquire what Mike felt about CART's privatization again and what it might do for the series. Perhaps legacy boy might have arrived at the conclusion there was no need for the IRL after all, but I digress....

Chitowncartfreak
09-19-03, 11:17 AM
If Michael thinks that simply adding road courses will save the IRL, he's sorely mistaken. He seems to be assuming that all of the CART fans from the mid 1990's will jump simply because of road racing. I would follow the ALMS more closely before watching the IRL on road circuits. I think ALMS has a greater chance of becoming more like CART was in the 1990's than the IRL does.