PDA

View Full Version : Who was it that said, "Get a Honda Odyssey"???

Warlock!
01-20-03, 11:41 AM
Almost a year ago I was in a quandry about making the jump, or more appropriatly, the step down to a minivan. When I asked the good folks at 7G (which included some of you guys) what the best minivan on the market happened to be, I got a resounding "It's the Honda Odyssey!"

Well, on Saturday I remembered that question and answer quite vividly as I sat on the side of the road, waiting for the tow-truck to drag the "best" minivan back to the dealership for a complete tranny rebuild. This was the first vehicle I have purchased that didn't come from the big three US automakers. I've had a Chevy Nova, a Chevy Blazer, a 1500 Chevy pick-up, and I still have an '88 T-bird turbo coupe and a Ford F-150 pick-up... all of them being bullet-proof as far as breakdowns. I had been quite impressed with the Odyssey up until the wait in 12 degree weather. I mean, it's the only thing that's ever gone wrong with it, and I have no doubt Honda's gonna pick up the tab (or the dealer is gonna get real tired of me real quick), but I've just never had a vehicle fail me to this extent. I know I'm lucky in that context, and the odds just caught up with me.

I'm not dissing the Odyssey, really... when it's fixed I'll be glad it's back in the family line-up. Let's just go on record as saying it can leave ya sittin' just like any other vehicle.

Oh, and it comes in Granite Green too! (just in case that may be a deciding factor in your purchase of a new minivan)

Winter Warlock!

mnkywrch
01-20-03, 12:01 PM
The tranny in my new Honda Accord died after less than 250 miles.

On the whole, I've had less problems with the car than with the car dealer...

chop456
01-20-03, 12:44 PM
Just one of them freaky-deaky things I bet. Overall, the quality is higher than others, that's a fact. That doesn't help you right now, but it's true.

My neighbor has replaced the transmission on their Caravan after 27,000 miles. Another friend, 3 in 80,000 miles. A co-worker, 4 TRANSMISSIONS in 100,000 miles. Another friend, 2 in 100,000 miles. Sister-in-law, 2 tranny repairs in 30,000 miles.

Look at it this way, my sister-in-law bought a top-line Town & Country LXI in 2000 for $33,000. It's now worth about $14,000. A top-line Odyssey of the same year cost about $29,000 and is now worth $18,000. At least you'll get some cash for it if you decide to trade it in. :D

Oh, and I was among those who suggested the Odyssey. (And I'd do it again). Repairs will cost more, but occur less frequently. I've also received FAR better service from the Japanese companies than the American (or German). If you want to experience truly clueless service departments, buy a VW.

nrc
01-20-03, 01:51 PM
Told you we should have crushed it into a cube and used it as a table at the Mexico City party. It's all just part of Honda's continuing conspiricy against CART fans. :)

rabbit
01-20-03, 03:32 PM
I told you to get the Windstar, but did you listen? Nooooooo!

RacinM3
01-20-03, 03:56 PM
It's not just Hondas. I replaced the trans in my Durango 5.9 when it had only 32,000 miles. I didn't tell them about the 90MPH trips over the Grapevine towing the race car, though. ;)

mnkywrch
01-20-03, 04:04 PM
FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily

I've seen more crummy Ford's than I have crummy Honda's.

rabbit
01-20-03, 04:46 PM
I prefer to say First On Race Day.;)

Foxman
01-20-03, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily

I've seen more crummy Ford's than I have crummy Honda's.

Found On Road Dead
F'd Over Rebuilt Dodge

:cool:

JT265
01-20-03, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by RacinM3
It's not just Hondas. I replaced the trans in my Durango 5.9 when it had only 32,000 miles. I didn't tell them about the 90MPH trips over the Grapevine towing the race car, though. ;)

RM3, so that was you I blew off on the Grapevine, HUH? :cool:

nrc
01-20-03, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Foxman
Found On Road Dead
F'd Over Rebuilt Dodge

:cool:

Honda - Traitorous IRL Scum.

Sorry, it's been long enough since the fifth grade that I don't recalle the actual acronym for it.

rabbit
01-20-03, 09:48 PM
Financing Our Racing Desires.

rocket
01-20-03, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
Financing Our Racing Desires.

Now that's perfect.:)

As far as the tranny goes Warlock!, are you sure you have'nt put to much strain on it with that trailer?

I'm happy as a clam with my 2000 Dakota Quad cab.

Sean O'Gorman
01-20-03, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by nrc
Sorry, it's been long enough since the fifth grade that I don't recalle the actual acronym for it.

Happy
Owners
Never
Drive
Anything else

Of course, it has been over a month since I've driven mine. ;)

JT265
01-20-03, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by SOG35
Happy
Owners
Never
Drive
Anything else

Of course, it has been over a month since I've driven mine. ;)

What you really meant to say was:

Happless
Owners
Never
Drive
Anything else.

Right?

Turn7
01-20-03, 11:20 PM
First
On
Race
Day

skidmarks
01-21-03, 09:49 AM
When you said you bought an Odyssey I think I said...

:rofl:

Warlock drives a mini-van!, Warlock drives a mini-van!,Warlock drives a mini-van!,Warlock drives a mini-van! na na na na na na :rofl:

rabbit
01-21-03, 10:25 AM
Helping
Out that
Nail
Driving

mapguy
01-21-03, 10:50 AM
H ad
O ne
N ever
D o it
A gain

Warlock!
01-28-03, 10:31 AM
Just an update (if anyone gives a rats lower digestive system).

Got the van back on Friday, so it was down for 6 days. He said the tranny was fried... the fluid was black as coal. The dealer asked what I pulled with it, and I told him a few snowmobiles w/ trailer (2000# total) and a good-sized pop-up camper (2500# loaded). He said neither should have been a problem. In fact, he said a buddy of his pulls a race car and trailer that goes about 3800#, or about 300# over the max. allowed. He's hoping we aren't the first of many '02 vans (with the new 5-spd auto box) to come back with similar problems.

We even had a transmission cooler installed by the dealer so we wouldn't have this problem.

During the whole ordeal our dealer was a peach, setting us up with another Odyssey to drive (the rental place they deal with doesn't rent vans, so he gave us one off of his lot), and our van came back to us with no hint that there were ever any french-fry/Skittles eating kids in the back seats. Anyhow, just an FYI for anyone out there thinkin about '02 Odysseys.

Winter Warlock!

nissan gtp
01-28-03, 09:02 PM
I've never owned an automatic :D , ...

I feel like a bit of a throwback (or a classic ? :laugh: ) ... i have 2 rwd, 1 rwd/mid engine, 1 allwheel. Lucky for me, I don't have to drive in heavy traffic a lot, or I might have to go over too.

The BMW SMG may get me to change.....i wanna be like jaun !

skidmarks
01-29-03, 09:13 AM
So once again I can say:

Warlock drives a mini-van!, Warlock drives a mini-van!,Warlock drives a mini-van!,Warlock drives a mini-van! na na na na na na

:rofl:

Warlock!
01-29-03, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by skidmarks
So once again I can say:
Do not think for a minute that I won't run yer *** over in my minivan if I get the chance. And there will not be any "skidmarks" as a sign that I tried to slow down.

;)

Winter Warlock!

Elmo T
01-29-03, 09:46 AM
We bought our new Odyssey in October, but went with the "Redrock Pearl."

What really troubles me now is that, while we have had NO problems, I have been noticing that when I switch into drive or into reverse, there has been a bit of a lag. Not long, but long enough to make me nervous. :( :( It has only 6K on it. Our Saturn has made it 185K without even a hiccup in the tranny.

skidmarks
01-29-03, 01:38 PM
You have to catch me first Warlock!, and I think I can outrun your grocery wagon on foot !!

:p

Warlock!
01-29-03, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Elmo T
What really troubles me now is that, while we have had NO problems, I have been noticing that when I switch into drive or into reverse, there has been a bit of a lag. Not long, but long enough to make me nervous.
My wife said the same thing several months ago. Next service you probably want to have them check it out, and relay my tribulations.

Skidmarks... when you least expect it, buddy...

Winter Warlock!