PDA

View Full Version : That Giant Sucking Sound

Classic Apex
09-17-03, 10:20 PM
I believe this rumor orignally came from AR1. Truly just a rumor, but interesting nonetheless...

"Tony George's sisters plug the money faucet Word on the street in Indy, told to AR1 by two independent sources, is that Tony George's sisters have had their high-powered law firm send Tony George a letter saying that no more money may be spent out of the Hulman Trust on the IRL after 2003. No team subsidies, driver subsidies, nothing. We also hear that some IRL teams have put Tony on notice that they won't be back for 2004 because they don't have sponsorship. We're hearing the IRL may be down to 14 cars in 2004, which may explain the rumors that Toyota is lobbying Carl Haas hard to move his team to the IRL. If this rumor is true, it remains to be seen whether Tony George comes up with any other sources of funding to keep the IRL from deflating in 2004. Perhaps Toyota, Honda, or Chevy (or all three) will step up and help subsidize teams."

There may not be an ounce of truth behind this at all, but what I find to be VERY interesting is the absolute zero tolernace for discussion of this topic on IRL forum sites.

If there was a rumor of similar stature pertaiing to CART, the lemmings would be flooding all CART boards as quickly as there little legs and paws could carry would them.

As that old saying goes, "The silence is deafening."

:cool:

pchall
09-17-03, 10:27 PM
Too funny.

Just the thought of that happening must send lemmings back up the cliff!

RaceChic
09-17-03, 10:30 PM
Bring it on...... :laugh: :thumbup: :laugh: :thumbup:

lone_groover
09-17-03, 10:38 PM
OH NO!!!

Looks like Brian ain't getting his wish! :cry:

(send letters to: lone_groover@none such.com)

:p

SteveH
09-17-03, 11:50 PM
Was in today's Indy Star - check this thread - second response

http://cartfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9642&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

chop456
09-18-03, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by SteveH
Was in today's Indy Star - check this thread - second response

http://cartfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9642&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

That's great. :laugh:

If the "real" story's true, it's about time.

cart7
09-18-03, 08:13 AM
I have a friend I've known for many years now, who I stay with when I attend the 500. He has some old family ties to the late Anton Hulman and has told me some interesting stories about the old days back in Terre Haute over the years. He also has ties to some in the legal profession in the Indy area. This past May, he informed me about a couple things, one about Mari Hulman which I can't repeat(especially on an Internet forum) and the other concerning this very rumour. He didn't give me specifics but there is something to this. Seems the earl has been a big drain on the Hulman vault.

chop456
09-18-03, 08:20 AM
I'm pretty sure my Clabber Girl boycott is having some effect, too.

RichK
09-18-03, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by chop456
I'm pretty sure my Clabber Girl boycott is having some effect, too.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Racewriter
09-18-03, 09:53 PM
All good rumors have some grain of truth to them. Let's break this one down:

Originally posted by Brian Ericson
I believe this rumor orignally came from AR1. Truly just a rumor, but interesting nonetheless...

"Tony George's sisters plug the money faucet Word on the street in Indy, told to AR1 by two independent sources, is that Tony George's sisters have had their high-powered law firm send Tony George a letter saying that no more money may be spent out of the Hulman Trust on the IRL after 2003. No team subsidies, driver subsidies, nothing.

Well, could be, but I kind of doubt it. I mean, why now? Tonyboy's subsidies are likely at a lower level now than a couple of years ago.

We also hear that some IRL teams have put Tony on notice that they won't be back for 2004 because they don't have sponsorship.

Classify this as "No Shinola, Sherlock." I'd say the following team sponsorships are at risk: Access (Trimspa), PDM (Tony, but only till he can move Ed to a different team),Cheever (Red Bull), Nunn (Hollywood), D&R (Purex/GMAC - could cut to one car) and Hemelgarn (week to week) There will be losses from this year's already think grid.

We're hearing the IRL may be down to 14 cars in 2004, which may explain the rumors that Toyota is lobbying Carl Haas hard to move his team to the IRL.

14 is probably low, but I could see it on the wrong side of 20. And the lemming cry will be "quality, not quantity."

If this rumor is true, it remains to be seen whether Tony George comes up with any other sources of funding to keep the IRL from deflating in 2004. Perhaps Toyota, Honda, or Chevy (or all three) will step up and help subsidize teams."

Merely good deductive reasoning. Without manufacturer money, the IRL would already be around 18 or so.

As I said, there is probably some truth to it, and that is this: Regardless of what Tony's sisters allow, some IRL teams will go out after this year.

cart7
09-19-03, 08:34 AM
I think I'd throw Foyt into the mix as well. The Conseco deal is probably cooked since that co. is in bankruptcy and AJ's on track performance is nothing short of pathetic. He may put his grandson out there out of his own pocket but the team will be a shell of professionalism. (Actually, kinda like they are now.)

Cam
09-19-03, 09:12 AM
Conseco emerged and started trading on AMEX again just this week.

JLMannin
09-19-03, 12:32 PM
The sisters won't pull the plug until TG agrees to modify Indy to a tri-oval to accomodate NASCAR.

Chief
09-19-03, 02:16 PM
No way a tri-oval could fit in the old Brickyard. Now, high banks and rounded corners IS a do-able deal.