PDA

View Full Version : Windows question

RichK
09-17-03, 03:53 PM
This should be an easy one for somebody, but I can't figure it out.

I have Windows 2000 Professional at home, and since about the time the big worms were going around, this started happening:

When starting up (or logging in as a new user), the "My Documents" folder pops up during the startup operations. It's not that big a deal, but it's just annoying that I can't stop it from happening. Instead of seeing a cool racecar on my desktop, I see this dumb folder that I never use anyway.

Thanks for any help!

Rich

Turn7
09-17-03, 04:20 PM
Look at your "startup" folders and see if your "my documents" folder has been added to one.

If so, that would cause it to launch on startup.

Do a search on files and folders by:

|right clicking the start button
|Selecting "Search"
|input "startup" in the dialog box
|select "local hard drives" from the drop down box.

Once that is done, browse through all of the returned hits that are folders and see if "my documents" resides in any of the folders.

If it does just move it out of the startup folder and it shouldn't do that anymore.

More than likely it will be in the "All users" or "Administrator" startup folder if it is happening with anybody that logs into the same machine.

Other than that, ?????

Turn7
09-17-03, 04:55 PM
OK,

I read your post again and now am confused. Are you saying that your wallpaper image is a big folder?

Warlock!
09-17-03, 04:57 PM
OK... not to take answers away from Rich's problem, but since we're compu-geekin'...

I have a problem on my work pc as well. After it boots up, all is well... everything looks normal. However, whatever program I open first (by dbl.-clicking the desktop shortcut), the computer thinks I'm clickin' it a thousand times and tries to open the program an infinite number of times. I have to quickly go to the task manager (by this time there are usually 20 separate applications of the program open) and shut the programs down. After that my computer acts as it normally does. It's just the first program I try to open after a fresh boot.

Any ideas???

Warlock?

Cam
09-17-03, 05:10 PM
'lock..... Sounds like you are just being too impatient to open that first app before everything has loaded in the background. Just because winblows looks like it has finished booting doesnt mean that it has! :p

Turn7
09-17-03, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Warlock!
OK... not to take answers away from Rich's problem, but since we're compu-geekin'...

I have a problem on my work pc as well. After it boots up, all is well... everything looks normal. However, whatever program I open first (by dbl.-clicking the desktop shortcut), the computer thinks I'm clickin' it a thousand times and tries to open the program an infinite number of times. I have to quickly go to the task manager (by this time there are usually 20 separate applications of the program open) and shut the programs down. After that my computer acts as it normally does. It's just the first program I try to open after a fresh boot.

Any ideas???

Warlock?

You ought to have a big enough hammer to take care of that problem....

Center your mouse exactly in the middle of the mouse pad, focus on it intensely, grab a 6# maul and with a violent, rapid motion, smash the hell out of it. Power down the machine, plug a new mouse in and boot up. If this fixed the problem, good. If not, you got to release a little aggresion.

racer2c
09-17-03, 05:23 PM
'lock, do you have the 'single click' option turned on? If so, when you start double clicking on single click icons, poof, they make like bunnies.

Rich, besides what Turn7 said, I can't think of anything. A folder icon image is set as your desktop wallpaper? :confused:

RichK
09-17-03, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the replies so far, I left for the gym for awhile!

No, I don't get a folder as a background, it's just that the My Documents folder automatically shows up during startup.

I'll try your ideas when I get home tonight and report back.

Warlock!
09-17-03, 07:06 PM
By the way, I'm Win2K as well...

Cam... no, that's not it. When I get to the orafice in the morning I'll boot up the PC. As it's booting I take care of other jobs that have to be taken car of right away. When I get back to the pc it's usually 15-30 minutes later.

R2C, no, that's not it either. It only happens on the first program I try to open after the machine boots... the rest of the time it's fine. But every f***in' time I reboot, that first program goes like eight mo-fos.

Thanks for the help, peeps...

:confused:

Warlock!

Turn7
09-17-03, 08:37 PM
Warlock,

I was serious. Try a different mouse. They are like 2 bucks at any garage sale type pc outlet. I have had a mouse do wacked out things to windows.

Just switch with some unexpecting person in the office and see if that helps and they start complaining.

Cam
09-17-03, 10:55 PM
'Lock... Just chalk it up to the Bill Gates unproductivity time then! :D