PDA

View Full Version : Pupo out for Mexico D.F.

rabbit
09-17-03, 01:21 PM
Roberto Gonzalez in. (http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7050)

Chief
09-17-03, 02:44 PM
Well, you can never tell when he's going to retire...I hope they can let him go out a little better than this though.

pchall
09-17-03, 02:52 PM
Give Herdez a break.

Moreno would never win a race for them and they need to build a team around their home country marketing and fan base.

If Moreno was showing any podium potential at this point in the season it would be a different story.

Moto-Guzzi
09-17-03, 02:57 PM
So what's wrong with Pupo? He has for the vast majority of it been a complete back marker. Why?

devilmaster
09-17-03, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Moto-Guzzi
So what's wrong with Pupo? He has for the vast majority of it been a complete back marker. Why?

Just a guess (so don't shoot me) but Pupo's seat was a constant 'if we have the money' mantra, right up until Sebring.

Perhaps his team has less resources than Mario D. I was always expecting Pupo to do better than Mario, but remember, Herdez is Herdez is Bettenhausen. They've always run on a tight budget, and perhaps even tighter since it went 2 cars.

Steve

Dr. Corkski
09-17-03, 07:22 PM
I hope Herdez is not expecting Slowman Gonzalez to bring any money. Two team owners have already made that mistake this year.

chop456
09-18-03, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
I hope Herdez is not expecting Slowman Gonzalez to bring any money. Two team owners have already made that mistake this year.

Maybe enough for one race? I assume that Moreno's getting paid, so any arrive-and-drive deal is a money maker. (Provided Gonzales can provide a valid State Farm card covering rental Lolas.) :D

chop456
09-18-03, 01:25 AM
"2002 Ran full season in Telefonica World Series by Nissan, scoring four top-10 finishes including a season-best eighth at Valencia. "

Wow. Impressive.

cartmanoz
09-18-03, 05:32 AM
Boooo!!

Moreno performing or not is damn sight better than Gonzalez any day of the week.:mad:

Turn7
09-18-03, 07:56 AM
I had the impression that Pupo was brought in to teach Dominguez how to sort out the car. He was there as a data point that allowed the team to measure the mistakes of Dominguez, the crew, and the engineer. Pupo had a proven record unlike Mario and this allowed them to see exactly where improvements could be made.

He isn't in a points race, they have the data they needed, they have the driver available that they want for next year. Make the switch and allow him a head start on next year. Everybody knows that they will need it.

RaceGrrl
09-18-03, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Turn7
I had the impression that Pupo was brought in to teach Dominguez how to sort out the car. He was there as a data point that allowed the team to measure the mistakes of Dominguez, the crew, and the engineer. Pupo had a proven record unlike Mario and this allowed them to see exactly where improvements could be made.

That's my impression too. I don't think that there was much expectation that he'd be very competitive with the top 5 guys.

Chitowncartfreak
09-18-03, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by chop456
"2002 Ran full season in Telefonica World Series by Nissan, scoring four top-10 finishes including a season-best eighth at Valencia. "

Wow. Impressive.

Let's see - four top-10 finishes with a season-best eigth. That means obviously that he finished either 8th, 9th, or 10th in these 4 races. Looks like someone's been reading "How to Lie With Statistics" (for those of you who don't know, such a book actually exists - I use it every day);) There were probably only 10 cars in the series to begin with.

JT265
09-18-03, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Chitowncartfreak
Let's see - four top-10 finishes with a season-best eigth. That means obviously that he finished either 8th, 9th, or 10th in these 4 races. Looks like someone's been reading "How to Lie With Statistics" (for those of you who don't know, such a book actually exists - I use it every day);) There were probably only 10 cars in the series to begin with.

He obviously shares the same PR person with Starwood Team Jensen. :eek:

lone_groover
09-18-03, 04:51 PM
Pupo: outie

;) ;) ;)

RichK
09-18-03, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by JT265
He obviously shares the same PR person with Starwood Team Jensen. :eek:

Or USF3

Dr. Corkski
09-19-03, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Turn7
He isn't in a points race, they have the data they needed, they have the driver available that they want for next year. Make the switch and allow him a head start on next year. Everybody knows that they will need it. Gonzalez can have a 20 year head start and he will still be an IRL level no talent wanker.

JT265
09-19-03, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Gonzalez can have a 20 year head start and he will still be an IRL level no talent wanker.

20 years is a little harsh, Docsky.

I was thinking 18. ;)