PDA

View Full Version : Lowest Average Speed?

Elmo T
09-17-03, 10:21 AM
I was having a discussion with a friend about true "racing" and its relation to the speed of the cars. Generally, do you have to go fast to have a good race?

Which brings me to my question: which current CART circuit has the lowest average speed? Past circuits?

Thanks!

tllips
09-17-03, 10:31 AM
Weren't the qualification times of Miami last year the first ones under 100mph that weren't due to rain?

JoeBob
09-17-03, 11:04 AM
I think it was Denver that was under 100MPH.

I don't think raw speed is what makes racing good or bad. Dragsters hit 300MPH, but I'm not infatuated with the racing.

I think the key to racing is going faster than you have any business going. I don't know what speed they're doing in WRC, but they're certainly going faster than I would! Same goes with the street circuits. Even at under 100MPH average speeds, they're still doing insane things given the layout of the track.

FRANKY
09-17-03, 11:11 AM
Franky's best guess.

1999 Toronto 66.161 mph Won by Montoya!

cart7
09-17-03, 12:22 PM
The speeds in each particular style of racing is way above what most sane people would consider safe. I mean, WRC isn't nearly as fast as the touring cars or the super V8's, BUT, considering the driving surface they're on, it's intensly satisfying to watch. Some of the best racing I've seen are legends cars which don't have a particularly high top speed but the racing at close quarters is very good. So no, speed really doesn't matter to me.