PDA

View Full Version : An Indy Story That I Hope You'll All Enjoy

Jag_Warrior
09-16-03, 01:29 PM
I never really cared that much for drag racing, but I've been following it quite a bit this year (it's the ONLY reason I can find to watch ESPN). Anyway, here's some info about a winning drag bike racer that I didn't know anything about until this year: Reggie Showers.

I like him just because it shows that some people find ways of being successful, while others (who might have fewer obstacles) always seem to find reasons why they CAN'T do something. This sort of relates to those of us who are fans of Alex Zanardi. :thumbup:

Reggie Showers: Success At Indy (http://www.prostheticdesign.com/reggie.html)

Napoleon
09-16-03, 01:41 PM
I saw a story on this guy on TV a year or two ago. Funny thing is that his "disability" actually is a bit of an advantage in that the "legs" he uses for racing are a special short pair so that he does not have the disadvantage of having to tuck his legs out of the way like the other drivers do.

RacinM3
09-16-03, 10:44 PM
Yep, Nap....an article I read on him in the LA Times last week said he's 5'-7" in his 'racing' legs and 6'-0" in his 'walking' legs.

He's sponsored by a manufacturer of prosthetic limbs as well. The article said they bring a rig to all the events, and can turn out a new limb for him in about 45 minutes at the track!!:eek:

RichK
09-17-03, 11:43 AM
That reminds me of an old Bob & Tom skit (yes, I used to live in the Hoosier state):

"LimbCrafters: Quality limbs.........in about an hour!"

Jag_Warrior
09-17-03, 01:21 PM
From what I've read, he's a pretty cool guy. In fact, quite a few of the drag racers seem like more than OK guys & gals. If nothing else, it's got to be about the most fan-friendly form of motorsport.

What a novel thought. Imagine having body parts that you could switch out depending on the occasion. Hmm... :eek:

Jonezzy_33
09-22-03, 04:17 AM
He did an interview on "That Racing Show" here in Indy that I caught on its reair one Saturday. I wasn't able to listen to the entire thing, but from what I heard of him, he was a real down-to-earth likeable guy. Hearing about what happened to him when he was little was something else. Good to see his success. :thumbup: