PDA

View Full Version : If Canada comes back, bye bye French GP?

devilmaster
09-16-03, 11:34 AM
If Canada gives up on the anti-tobacco legislation, its possible BE will give Canada its race back.... at the expense of another anti-tobacco'd race.

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_Story.asp?ID=53975

Steve

Dirty Sanchez
09-16-03, 11:52 AM
Fine by me. I think Bernie is smart by playing Canada, France and Britain off of one another. The future of their race is in their hands. Who wants it the most/least? :D

Jag_Warrior
09-17-03, 01:23 PM
Best of luck to Canada! That's the only one that I have a semi-decent chance of attending next year.

Lizzerd
09-17-03, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Jag_Warrior
That's the only one that I have a semi-decent chance of attending next year.

What about this year? Tickets still available in Tony's sandbox. :)

nz_climber
09-17-03, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd

You mean they havn't given them all away yet so they can claim a sell out??? :rolleyes:

Dirty Sanchez
09-17-03, 10:29 PM
chop and I got seats in stand H (best seats in the house) for just over half face value :thumbup:

cartmanoz
09-18-03, 05:43 AM
Well, I think Canada deserved a race. They have some of the most passionate race-fans on earth. Same with the Brits.

I would have no problem leaving the sterile Magny-Cours circuit behind. Now if they moved the GP back to Paul Ricard or Dijon, then I'd be sad to see it go...

Chaos
09-21-03, 08:50 PM
Canada may deserve the race, but they're not run by dictatorship countries that do what they please, and if they want an F1 race, they'll do whatever they can to get one (cough $$$$$$$$$$$$4 cough)

stymie
09-26-03, 02:50 PM
Article in Indy Star about French/Canadian Grand Prix SenarioWalkabout gets unexpectedly large turnout (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/1/077984-2081-037.html)

British and French media reported Thursday that F-1 will drop the troubled French Grand Prix next season because it owes F-1 boss Bernie Ecclestone's company $11 million from previous races.

The loss of the historic Magny-Cours race would have a double effect. Because it is a non-branded event, which means tobacco companies are not committed to advertising there, Ecclestone could transfer the non-tobacco designation to the Canadian Grand Prix, which seeks a return to the schedule June 6.

Reinstating Montreal would give North America consecutive races. The fifth U.S. Grand Prix is being moved to June 20.

It may not be necessary for the Canadian Government to change the law.

TedN
10-15-03, 01:01 PM
Canada Back on 2004 F1 Calendar
Wednesday October 15th, 2003
AtlasF1.com

The Canadian Grand Prix was reinstated on the 2004 Formula One calendar at a meeting of the governing body's World Motor Sport Council on Wednesday.

The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) issued a revised calendar with Montreal included as an additional 18th race, to be held on June 13 before the US Grand Prix at Indianapolis on June 20.

The date was provisional, subject to a satisfactory financial agreement with competing teams for running without tobacco sponsorship.

Due to the change, the San Marino Grand Prix - originally planned for June 6th - was moved to April 25th, while the European Grand Prix at the Nurbugring, which was scheduled to be the first race in Europe, has been moved to May 30th, only one week after the Monaco Grand Prix.

Ankf00
10-15-03, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
when piggies fly and cease to smell :)

mapguy
10-15-03, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Chaos
Canada may deserve the race, but they're not run by dictatorship countries that do what they please,

Wanna bet?

RTKar
10-15-03, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't think so as long as Renault stays involved in F1.

Jag_Warrior
10-15-03, 09:26 PM
:cool: :thumbup: :cool:

devilmaster
10-16-03, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by TedN
The date was provisional, subject to a satisfactory financial agreement with competing teams for running without tobacco sponsorship.

This is sooo gonna happen. The government can get the race back without changing the tobacco laws, but instead have to give up a tonne of money??? They live for backroom deals like this. Hell, they have a Ministry completely designed for this, right Shiela Copps????(inside canadian joke - not as funny as actually being from Hamilton - best described as Pittsburgh without the glamour)

Originally posted by Mapguy
Originally posted by Chaos
Canada may deserve the race, but they're not run by dictatorship countries that do what they please,

Wanna bet?

:laugh: :rofl: :laugh: : :rofl: :laugh:
This brought up only one thought.

If you all want to understand our fearless leader, Jean Chretien, watch this. Its a comedy show in Canada called Royal Canadian Air Farce and a skit that describes Jean perfectly called 'Jock McBile'

http://www.airfarce.com/video/000409ih.rm

and for those who have seen Coach's corner with Don Cherry, here is Chretien's Corner ;)

http://www.airfarce.com/video/000317fh.rm

Steve