PDA

View Full Version : Salo official - in for rest of season

rabbit
08-27-03, 05:32 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=6950
INDIANAPOLIS (August 27, 2003) – Former Formula One racer Mika Salo of Finland will make his debut in the Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford this weekend as he will join the PK Racing stable at the Centrix Financial Grand Prix of Denver on the Mile High City’s 1.647-mile downtown temporary street circuit.

A veteran of 110 F1 starts, the 36-year-old Salo, whose eight-season F1 career most recently included rides with Ferrari (where he filled in for an injured Michael Schumacher for six races in 1999), Sauber and Toyota, will make his Champ Car debut after testing the PK racing machine two weeks ago at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

“I am excited to have this opportunity with PK Racing,” said Salo. “I enjoyed the test at Mid-Ohio and have been getting to know the team since then - it is a good group, and I think we will work very well together. Street racing is my favorite, so I am looking forward to the upcoming events at Denver and Miami.”

Salo will assume the driving responsibilities of the #27 PK Racing Ford-Cosworth/Lola/Bridgestone, replacing Champ Car veteran Max Papis, with whom the team recently parted company.

“This is a learning year, and following a very positive test with Mika in Mid-Ohio last Monday, both [co-owner] Kevin Kalkhoven and I have decided to bring him on board,” said Craig Pollock, co-owner of the first-year PK Racing team.

Salo will join other Champ Car drivers tomorrow night in Denver at Champ Car Night, the official welcoming party of this weekend’s event, where they will meet with fans and media from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. Festivities will take place on Glenarm Place between 15th and 16th streets at Marlowe's, the Paramount Café and the Hard Rock Café in the heart of the open-air, mile-long 16th Street Mall corridor, a popular gathering spot for locals and tourists alike.

Call 1-888-82-SPEED for tickets to the August 29-31 Centrix Financial Grand Prix of Denver or log onto www.grandprixofdenver.com or www.champcarworldseries.com for more details. This weekend’s Champ Car race will air this Sunday on SPEED Channel starting with pre-race coverage at 9:00 p.m. ET.

Railbird
08-27-03, 08:12 PM
couple thoughts:

at this point in time a euro-hasbeen is better than some of the scrubs we've been watching this year.

I understood using Lamarie in a start up situation but why they hung onto him after he overwhelmed them with his inability is beyond me. With Salo apparently in the background since the Sebring test what was with the Herta/Papis "era"?

Did they have to convince Mika that CART was going to survive?

Dr. Corkski
08-27-03, 08:27 PM
For PK "in for the rest of the season" means he is going to be out by Mexico City.