PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good CART telecast?

RacinM3
01-19-03, 03:10 PM
Give your ideas here - I'll start.

Those of you watching the Australian V8 Supercar race on SPEED right now are going to know what I'm talking about. Instead of the announcer giving us a track tour using a visual aid and a teleprompter, they use 3 competitors in their cars, nose to tail, with radio communications between them. Mixing in-car, driver shots, and exterior car shots, they take off to start the lap. One guy leads the three and narrates the first 1/3 of the track, then #2 passes and narrates the second 1/3, finally #2 passes them both and narrates the last 1/3. They do all this at speed.

It's very cool and gives a good impression of the drivers personalities, along with the fact that it looked like they were having a hell of a lot of fun.

It'd be a good way for CART to introduce the new personalities next year, and they should use a different mix for every race.

It's the details, you know?

pchall
01-19-03, 07:48 PM
Three things pop up first:

No Paul Page.
No Bob Jenkins.
No Jack Arute.

Oh, you're talking about production values, right?

BigIrlFan
01-19-03, 10:05 PM
HAving sOMe wANKer giVe uS enSIGnts tO THe paRAde ROUtes! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, THen maybes a big Reck at the STart fOLLOwed bY thE rest of the RAce been run under yeLLow. ITs real EGGciting

KEEp pRAyin fOR wATEr tO RUn upHILLs yOU CARt STreeT RAce LOOsers

BiF#

Foxman
01-19-03, 11:16 PM
I think that CART needs many more in car camera's and they need to use them liberally during the telecast. They also need to take some tips from Nascab camera crews, they find ways to make those big taxi cabs look FAST, one thing that I've noticed is they will pan from t1 through t2 on an oval, but they will not zoom in or out, they will just pan, this helps give you a true sense of the distance travelled. in my opinion CART productions zoom in on the cars too much, so you don't get any appreciation for the distance being travelled which would relate to the visualization of speed. Also, the cameras need to follow the cars less and focus on one part of the track, when the camera moves with the car it diminishes the speed effect, I remember one year CART actually left the camera still on the kink at vancouver one year and you could see the cars getting all sorts of squirly through there, when the camera moves you miss subtle things like that, subtle things that show you these machines are hauling some.

Fox

Gurneyflap
01-19-03, 11:55 PM
And more SOUND. with less talking! And WAY fewer telephoto shots. Cars look REALLY slow that way. The only two in-cars that make sense are hoop and nose. Hoop is best because you get to see the steering input and shifting. Those side shots are dumb and helmet cam too jouncy. Rear shot on ovals is needed. I repeat. We need more clear and louder AUDIO of screaming turbocharged Champcars!

Hink
01-20-03, 12:19 AM
No ABC makes a good telecast.

ABC has butchered racing coverage for years. I just watched the ABC feed for the 1984 Monaco GP because Stefan Bellof - one of my three favorite drivers ever - really kicked ass in that race. Compared with the FOCA feed it's no contest. They broke away for stories and interviews and missed the race. They broke away to cover some other crap "no one cares about" and missed the race. They may (may?) have covered 10 minutes of the actual race.

The one bright light they had in their coverage was Jackie Stewart and he has other things to do these days.

What really makes a good telecast is when they show the action and have time for behind the scenes stories. SPEED has a great telecast and ABC never will.

molive
01-20-03, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by BigIrlFan
HAving sOMe wANKer giVe uS enSIGnts tO THe paRAde ROUtes! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, THen maybes a big Reck at the STart fOLLOwed bY thE rest of the RAce been run under yeLLow. ITs real EGGciting

KEEp pRAyin fOR wATEr tO RUn upHILLs yOU CARt STreeT RAce LOOsers

BiF#

Or maybe CART should hire GOD to control the elements and warrant a dry race...:rolleyes:

BigIRLfan...I never know this thing existed.:p

btw, the CART telecast is almost perfect, IMO. But I don't get the same announcers as you people from NA. :)

The in-helmet, and all the other cool cam positions are great. The ticker-style restults is a good way to be informative without being too intrusive. I just have no complaints about it...

skidmarks
01-20-03, 10:03 AM
I say have a format like 'Crossfire' and put BIF# in the booth.
:cool:

RARules
01-20-03, 03:08 PM
Don't forget to combine the telecast with CART's on-line timing and scoring. Excellent use for 802.11b and a laptop.

At least for the live event...

RacinM3
01-20-03, 04:05 PM
BIF# and crossfire sound good in the same sentence. I'd use other words around them, though. :)

turn1
01-20-03, 04:10 PM
Two words: Tecate Girls!

;)

oddlycalm
01-21-03, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Gurneyflap
And WAY fewer telephoto shots. Cars look REALLY slow that way.

Exactly right. The worst example was the main straight at Mexico City. The Mexican broadcast company had it looking like main street on Sunday afternoon with the cars going 25mph. The Speed Channel crew was better than that, but not by much.

The CART broadcast producers need to watch some Motor GP, World Superbike, V8 Supercars, some WRC as well to get ideas for camera angles. It's depressing that other series can get this right, but CART never seems able to.

oc

Miljax
01-21-03, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by pchall
Three things pop up first:

No Paul Page.
No Bob Jenkins.
No Jack Arute.

Oh, you're talking about production values, right?

I'm with you. And some passes for the lead!!!

Eagle104
01-21-03, 12:49 PM
"What makes a good CART telecast?"

....anyone that has time for post-race coverage. And, that's most of em, these days -- thanks, Chris & Co.!

-----------------------------------------------

Originally posted by skidmarks
I say have a format like 'Crossfire' and put BIF# in the booth.
:cool:

I hope the booth is sufficiently ventilated!:eek: :p

Classic Apex
01-21-03, 02:49 PM
Boobies.

turn1
01-21-03, 05:25 PM
Huh Huh - Huh

He said boobies!

01-26-03, 02:36 AM
Scott - please check your PMs.

Rich