PDA

View Full Version : Newman Haas To Run At Indy

JoeBob
08-26-03, 06:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/rpm/2003/0826/1603660.html

Newman/Haas Racing announced Tuesday that the team is in the process of finalizing details for an upcoming Indy car test with the hope of competing in the 80th running of the Indianapolis 500 on May 30, 2004.

"If the logistics, sponsorship and engineering components can be put together, the team will attempt to qualify for the 2004 Indianapolis 500," said Carl A. Haas, who along with Paul Newman are co-owners of Newman/Haas Racing. "We need some test time and don't want to take on this challenge without adequate preparation."

The team is still finalizing the specifics of the racing package as well as the location of the test but it would likely be The California Speedway in Fontana, Calif., as it is a Superspeedway like the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Newman/Haas Racing driver Bruno Junqueira, polesitter for the 2002 Indianapolis 500 while racing for Chip Ganassi's team, would handle testing duties.

The team campaigns cars for Junqueira and Sebastien Bourdais in the CART Champ Car series.

RichK
08-26-03, 06:28 PM
A year ago, I would've cared about this news. Seems like I care less and less about American open wheel racing nowadays. I AM surprised that Paul Newman agreed to this, though.

Turn7
08-26-03, 06:33 PM
With the Lilly drug that allows 24 hr gitty up time for Gramps about to hit the market. I bet this is a mandate from the sponsor.

Just guessing. I sort of feel like Rich, pretty much just oh well.

Turn7
08-26-03, 06:34 PM
Hmmm...Just had a thought.

I wonder if the IRL car will be called the Lilly Willy Special?

RTKar
08-26-03, 06:51 PM
My first thought is, "Oh no", not so much due to the politics involved but the injury potential. Bourdais is a world class talent with tremendous potential. I would hate to see him become another irl back injury statistic.

JoeBob
08-26-03, 07:09 PM
The other thought I had was the Haas quote from a few weeks ago where he said his team would only compete in one series.

Dr. Corkski
08-26-03, 07:24 PM
Sounds more like a backup plan at this point.

Ziggy
08-26-03, 07:26 PM
and now, for the eight straight year..... NEWMAN/HAAS to the IRL............

Ziggy

RaceGrrl
08-26-03, 07:38 PM
Ziggy nails it.

Paul Newman isn't quoted- Haas is. I find that very interesting.

Also, at the Columbus town meeting, Bourdais told me that neither he nor Bruno wanted to drive crapwagons. He said that Junky had considered the IRL last year but ultimately stayed in CART because of the road racing and safety reasons. Sebastien agreed with Bruno's decision and said, "I'm not in this to get hurt."

Dr. Corkski
08-26-03, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
"I'm not in this to get hurt."In that case they should stay away from the Tiagos and the Marios. :laugh:

Bourdais is good enough to be in F1 so I think he would go do SWS before even thinking about running around in circles. Ditto for Bruno.

Cam
08-26-03, 10:14 PM
Newman/Haas Racing announced Tuesday that the team is in the process of finalizing details for an upcoming Indy car test with the hope of competing in the 80th running of the Indianapolis 500 on May 30, 2004.

Ummmmm...... The 80TH running was in 1996!!!!! :shakehead

devilmaster
08-26-03, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Cam

Well, perhaps in alot of people's mind, like mine, the 80th running hasn't happened yet. ;) :laugh:

Steve

Cam
08-26-03, 10:23 PM
Smartarse! :p

nz_climber
08-26-03, 10:26 PM
maybe next year will be the year the I*L dies and CART returns to claim the 500 and we can finally run the 80th Indy and forget wat a laugh it has been for the last few years with TG at the helm !!!

Well i can dream :rolleyes:

RaceChic
08-27-03, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Cam

That's because after that, none of then were worth Jack. :p

chop456
08-27-03, 07:27 AM
If Lola is let in as a chassis supplier, Carl's gone. You can bet your arse that'd be part of the deal.

DaveL
08-27-03, 12:13 PM
There was a time when I would have cared about this. But that time has passed.

JLMannin
08-27-03, 12:31 PM
If this is true, then this leaves only Dale Coyne as the sole CART owner (that was in the series in 1995) that has not placed an entry in the Marion County Fair 500.

I never would have picked Dale Coyne as the car owner most loyal to CART. I had him at the top of my list of teams to bolt to the IRL.

cart7
08-27-03, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
There was a time when I would have cared about this. But that time has passed.
It's all becoming more disinteresting everyday.

Chitowncartfreak
08-27-03, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Cam

More evidence that the IRL and the Indy 500 have gone nowhere since the split.

RacinM3
08-27-03, 01:08 PM
Lump me in with the "Don't Care Anymore" crowd.

Turn7
08-27-03, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
If this is true, then this leaves only Dale Coyne as the sole CART owner (that was in the series in 1995) that has not placed an entry in the Marion County Fair 500.

What about Patrick, Forsythe and Bettenhausen/Herdez?

JLMannin
08-27-03, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
What about Patrick, Forsythe and Bettenhausen/Herdez?

Patrick - yes. Bettenhausen - yes. Forsythe - sort of.

In 1995, Forsythe was in leage with Green, and Green went Earl. Forsythe formed his own team after the split, and thus was aware of the situation in US formula car racing and chose CART over the IRL.

I'm limiting my list to teams that were in CART in 1995, or better yet, 1994 and earlier -- before TG voiced his intent to form his own series. Patrick came back in 1995, I think, although he ran the season long testing schedule in 1994. I guess that theam still counts and should be on my list.

Turn7
08-27-03, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
Patrick - yes. Bettenhausen - yes. Forsythe - sort of.

In 1995, Forsythe was in leage with Green, and Green went Earl. Forsythe formed his own team after the split, and thus was aware of the situation in US formula car racing and chose CART over the IRL.

I'm limiting my list to teams that were in CART in 1995, or better yet, 1994 and earlier -- before TG voiced his intent to form his own series. Patrick came back in 1995, I think, although he ran the season long testing schedule in 1994. I guess that theam still counts and should be on my list.

The Forsyth-Green team had the Players sponsorship and from what I can tell, Green split and Gerry kept what was Forsythe-Green. Green basically started a new team. Therefore, Green going to the IRL really isn't part of the Forsythe-Green team.

JoeBob
08-27-03, 02:57 PM
IIRC, Forsythe-Green Racing formed in for the 1994 season, and they split after that. In 1995, Team Green ran a Player's sponsored car, while Forsythe Racing fielded an Indeck sponsored car for Teo Fabi. (Fabi had previously driven for Forsythe Racing in the 1980s) In 1996, Players moved their sponsorship from Team Green to Forsythe Racing.

Chitowncartfreak
08-27-03, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
IIRC, Forsythe-Green Racing formed in for the 1994 season, and they split after that. In 1995, Team Green ran a Player's sponsored car, while Forsythe Racing fielded an Indeck sponsored car for Teo Fabi. (Fabi had previously driven for Forsythe Racing in the 1980s) In 1996, Players moved their sponsorship from Team Green to Forsythe Racing.

That's the way I remember the deal goin' down as well.

JoeBob
08-27-03, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Chitowncartfreak
That's the way I remember the deal goin' down as well.

Actually, now that i think about it, I think Fabi's car had Combustion Engineering as its primary sponsor. Indeck may have been an associate.

rabbit
08-27-03, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
Actually, now that i think about it, I think Fabi's car had Combustion Engineering as its primary sponsor. Indeck may have been an associate. That CE car was a sweet looking machine.
http://www.indyphoto.com/CONTENT/Photos/teo/fabi25.jpg
Teo had a couple good drives that year.
He was challenging de Ferran for the win at Cleveland
until a broken exhaust header ended his day.
He started on the front row at Michigan. The team replaced him
with Greg Moore at the end of the season.
I haven't heard much about him since.

Dr. Corkski
08-27-03, 06:45 PM
I am pretty sure Teo is retired for good. His son was doing British F3 until very recently.

Ziggy
08-27-03, 07:58 PM
Fabi had the fastest car in the '95 Indy 500 for quite sometime. He made an early, out of sequence pit stop that put him a lap down. How do I remember? Vegas odds where somewhere in the area of 25-1, and I bet on him. I keep looking at my stopwatch and thinking what could have been....

Ziggy

PS - He ran 6th

Ziggy
08-27-03, 08:00 PM
Oh, yeah, I had Cogan in '86 for large green as well. Never got over the Arie into the wall with short few laps to run. That damn Coogan had er whipped.....

Arie got out of the car smiling and talking with officials, while I stewed in the stands coming out of turn four. I knew Cogan would get snookered on a restart.

Mears almost got him

Ziggy

Railbird
08-27-03, 08:30 PM
gotta chime in here

That damn Coogan put on one hell of a show that day. Mears Rahal and Cogan had traded the top three spots for a hundred laps when a yellow triggered the last pit sequence. At lap 170 Cogan was running third as the group began running down backmarkers. He took the lead on lap 181 passing both Rahal and Mears within two laps with some absolutely fearless moves in traffic.

He had built a pretty fair lead when the dutchman wandered into the fence.

From my seat it looked like Kevin played the restart like it was mid race rather than two laps to go.

Of course he'll always have the Posey excuse