PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances?

RaceGrrl
08-25-03, 12:09 PM
How likely is Gil to come back to CART, now that he's announced his retirement from the IRHell?

I would like to see him back in ChampCars. I just hope that he's not had one concussion too many.

Link to story in Other Racing (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2404)

RTKar
08-25-03, 12:13 PM
I think he's burned out. How motivating can it be to race on ovals exclusively with no one in attendance? It wouldn't suprise me though to see him show up in the CART paddock a few times next summer.

pchall
08-25-03, 12:18 PM
de Ferran was said to have be at Toronto in the paddock and visiting at PKR and Gentilozzi with his agent in tow.

sundaydriver
08-25-03, 01:06 PM
Since Johansson and Fittipaldi have new teams, how about Gil?

That would be nice. :)

RTKar
08-25-03, 01:16 PM
Gil as a mentor at Fittipaldi-Dingman....

Tim
08-25-03, 01:32 PM
A big hello to Spook who has linked this thread at TF. I think Gil will pull a Mika and do the odd promotional thing every now and then but stay out of professional race cars for good.

Jag_Warrior
08-25-03, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
I think he's burned out. How motivating can it be to race on ovals exclusively with no one in attendance? It wouldn't suprise though to see him show up in the CART paddock a few times next summer.

Does anyone else remember Mike Andretti and others complaining about how depressing it was to be at Michigan, racing in front of near empty grandstands? Wonder what it's like to race almost an entire season like that? I heard Nazareth was nothing short of pathetic yesterday. Wonder how that felt for guys like de Ferran?

I'd love to see de Ferran do some limited CART runs in the future. My favorite de Ferran moments were when he was with Walker in the Penzoil car. Interesting that Hornish is also leaving that ride to join Penske (yeah, I know the ride sort of left Gil, but still...).

racer2c
08-25-03, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Jag_Warrior
Does anyone else remember Mike Andretti and others complaining about how depressing it was to be at Michigan, racing in front of near empty grandstands? Wonder what it's like to race almost an entire season like that? I heard Nazareth was nothing short of pathetic yesterday. Wonder how that felt for guys like de Ferran?

I'd love to see de Ferran do some limited CART runs in the future. My favorite de Ferran moments were when he was with Walker in the Penzoil car. Interesting that Hornish is also leaving that ride to join Penske (yeah, I know the ride sort of left Gil, but still...).

I watched an hour of Naz and all of the Montreal race. I couldn't stop thinking that here we have a dieing series and a series that is "sky-rocketing". Uh, which one is which, cuz Montreal sure was packed (and it wasn't a hated 'street' race either.) :)

RaceGrrl
08-25-03, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Rahalnut
A big hello to Spook who has linked this thread at TF.

TF thread (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32189)

racer2c
08-25-03, 02:18 PM
Funny. Gil was the darling gomer in Gomerville after his 500 win. Now he's mocked for the possibility of returning to his road racing roots? Classic TF.

But, they re-write all of their Gomer history. Now they say road racing is the salvation of IndyCars. HAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

But hey, don't let Lazier fans bother you.

pchall
08-25-03, 03:05 PM
My favorite de Ferran moments were when he was with Walker in the Penzoil car. Interesting that Hornish is also leaving that ride to join Penske (yeah, I know the ride sort of left Gil, but still...).

That was the Valvoline car with Derrick Walker, 1997-99. Gil was in the Pennzoil car with Jim Hall in 1995 -1996.

Turn7
08-25-03, 03:13 PM
Is it true that ICS stand for Indy Cervical Surgery?

lone_groover
08-25-03, 03:16 PM
Gill sucks. Pimpski sucks. Cornish sucks.

You're out of order, this post is out of order, the stupid hicks at TF are out of order; this whole damn thread is out of order.

:p

Elmo T
08-25-03, 03:27 PM

I expected Gil to stay on with Penske, similar to Rick Mears. Putting aside him time driving in circles, I think he is an intelligent driver.

Assuming a return to the CART family, how about something in driver development with Atlantics or Barber Dodge?

Turn7
08-25-03, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover
Gill sucks. Pimpski sucks. Cornish sucks.

You're out of order, this post is out of order, the stupid hicks at TF are out of order; this whole damn thread is out of order.

:p

You forgot to mention the Inheritor....he sucks! (usually with a twenty rolled up and through the nose):p

I just read about the new ICS series sponsor..... ASPEN!

http://www.ihdusa.com/PC_cervicalcollar.html

mapguy
08-25-03, 03:46 PM

A big something to Spook but it ain't a hello.

SteveH
08-25-03, 03:47 PM
I'd like to see Gil 'graduate' to sports cars, like ALMS 900 or 675 class. I think he could continue his career for as long as he wishes if he did so. Would be nice to see him run at LeMans. As cool and calculating as he is, I think he's be terrific at endurance racing.

pchall
08-25-03, 03:50 PM

I hope she remembers that until the end of the 2001 CART season, her new found buddies at TF despised GdF and all his accomplishments.

JoeBob
08-25-03, 03:59 PM
I suspect that we won't see Gil in a racecar again once this season is over.

Look at the "retirement present" Andre Ribeiro got from Penske when he "retired." Andre got Chevy, Honda, and Toyota/Lexus dealerships of his very own. Gil will probably even more, and not just in Sao Paulo!

Besides, Gil had multiple years left on his contract, so he probably won't be able to drive anywhere without Roger's permission. I don't think Roger would give a hearty thumbs up to the idea of Gil in CART.

FRANKY
08-25-03, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by pchall
I hope she remembers that until the end of the 2001 CART season, her new found buddies at TF despised GdF and all his accomplishments.

I would say there were others more disliked. Gil has been always liked, Gil even got our thumbs up for winning the Indy 500 (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1538).

RTKar
08-25-03, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
TF thread (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32189)

So that's why there were so many guests here this afternoon, " A new OC record...42 users online"

RaceGrrl
08-25-03, 04:49 PM
Yep, lemmings travel in large groups.

You know, I couldn't find a collective noun for a group of lemmings, so I think I'll make one up. (A collective noun is a word that refers to a group of animals: a business of ferrets, an army of ants, a parliment of owls.)

How about "a forum of lemmings."

pchall
08-25-03, 04:55 PM

Or running a car for an up and coming racer out of the shops of any of the one-car teams this year?

lone_groover
08-25-03, 07:13 PM
Yep, lemmings travel in large groups...
...How about "a forum of lemmings."

HA HA. Tray droll, Grrl!

:D

pchall
08-25-03, 07:57 PM
Yep, lemmings travel in large groups.

And they are still having trouble putting 2+2 together from the beginnings of this thread. They can only see the visits spoken of by Gil de Ferran to PKR and Gentilozzi's transports at TO as looking for a ride and a "step down" in team affiliation.

The point that Gentilozzi and Kalkhoven are at the center of what will be the privatized CART for 2004 and on flew right over the whole 'forum' of little lemming heads.

Hink
08-25-03, 08:20 PM
I'd love to see de Ferran do some limited CART runs in the future. My favorite de Ferran moments were when he was with Walker in the Penzoil car.

Jag FYI - That was with Jim Hall not Walker. I liked GdF in '95 too.

Lizzerd
08-25-03, 08:43 PM
Oops, I posted in that thread before I read this one.

Reprinted with my permission...

Gil has always spoken the Penske company line, saying he was happy to be with Team Penske, etc., but he has also made it known that he misses OW road racing. I wouldn't be so sure that he is out of racing all together, either. This is only personal speculation, but I would't be surprised at all if Gil ended up back in CART next year. He's one of the guys that I would welcome back with open arms.

lone_groover
08-25-03, 09:10 PM
JT, isn't BRENT a Canadian name?

sike, sike...

:cry:

JT265
08-25-03, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover
JT, isn't BRENT a Canadian name?

sike, sike...

:cry:

l-g, you are a most lucid personality, and once again, correct.

"BRENT" is a derivative of the ancient Mohawk word "BRANT", which literally translated means,

" he who watches moose dung swirl around a frozen eddy"

You can't make this kinda stuff up. ;)

JT265
08-25-03, 10:35 PM
Fair enough. Betcha didn't grab the handle of "colossal idiot" though, did you? ;)

SteveH
08-25-03, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by SOG35
With their forum software, you can give yourself custom titles after reaching a certain amount of posts. I only have 20 or 30 posts at TF so I don't qualify, but once I hit 100+ posts at the MR2 Owners Club forum, I could add my own title.

Yep, I have bestowed the title of "CARt strret race looser' to myself. :D

Railbird
08-25-03, 10:54 PM
anybody want to guess what "H H A" stands for?

Cam
08-25-03, 11:04 PM
I dread to think... I have always wondered tho! :gomer:

lone_groover
08-25-03, 11:09 PM
Need a hint, Railbird. Is the "A" a compound word? :gomer:

:)

Sean O'Gorman
08-26-03, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Fair enough. Betcha didn't grab the handle of "colossal idiot" though, did you? ;)

No, its actually "always finishing in second", but maybe your suggestion might be more accurate. ;) :o

Jag_Warrior
08-26-03, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by pchall
That was the Valvoline car with Derrick Walker, 1997-99. Gil was in the Pennzoil car with Jim Hall in 1995 -1996.

D@mn! You're right! The doc prescribed some meds for my dad's memory - maybe I better dip into it. The next thing you know I'll be going to work without any pants on.

Jag_Warrior
08-26-03, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Hink
Jag FYI - That was with Jim Hall not Walker. I liked GdF in '95 too.

Yeah, I got that one - now where's my pants?!

RaceGrrl
08-26-03, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I got that one - now where's my pants?!

mapguy has them?

JT265
08-26-03, 02:24 PM
mapguy has them?

as if. :p

JoeBob
08-26-03, 05:59 PM
http://www.indyracingleague.com/indycar/news/story.php?story_id=1855

Q. Rick (Mears) did a really good job when he got out of the car. He never ever even came close to getting back in, never showed any signs of wanting to do it. When he quit, he quit. Have you spoken with him? Has he given you advice because there probably will be a transition period where it's going to be a little difficult for you?

GIL de FERRAN:Absolutely. I mean, you know, Rick was very young, he felt very strongly about that because you know, it was discussed a lot, and I share his opinion on that. I think it's difficult for you to be competitive when you are not doing this full-time. It's hard enough for you to be in the thick of it when you are doing it 24/7, and you are thinking about it all the time, and you are training all the time, and you are driving all the time, even then you don't win every race. So to do it in a spur of the moment, it's even more difficult. Currently, I have no plans to do any race or do any driving and stuff like that. My mind right now is that, you know, driving is not something I want to focus on, going forward. I have no plans to do any sporadic races or anything like that. That's it.

And with that, the chances are reduced to zero.

I remember being in Toronto and watching him walk through the automotive building to his transporter, unrecognized by anybody but me - just another rookie unrecognized by the masses. When I got his autograph that day, I had no idea of what he would accomplish to me he was just a rookie who was kind enough to stop and chat for a minute and sign an autograph. Thanks for the memories, Gil.