PDA

View Full Version : Hornish to Penske, Gil to Retire

JoeBob
08-25-03, 11:54 AM
http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/news/story.php?story_id=1852

Penske Racing, Inc. announced today that 2003 Indianapolis 500-Mile race winner and two-time National Champion Gil de Ferran will retire at season's end.

Two-time IRL IndyCar Series champion Sam Hornish Jr. has signed a multi-year deal to drive for the team beginning in 2004.

"My experience with Marlboro Team Penske is, without question, the pinnacle of my career. I felt it was important to stop while I was at my best," said de Ferran.

"I wanted to wait until the end of the season to announce to everyone my decision to stop driving, however, I realize it is in the team's best interest for me to do so at this time so they have the opportunity to hire the best possible driver. I feel they have done so with Sam."

"Gil's commitment to the team produced two National Championships, eight victories including our 100th win, and our thirteenth Indianapolis 500-mile race victory," said Roger Penske. "He has certainly made a place in Penske Racing history as one of our great drivers."

Hornish became the winningest driver in IRL history by scoring his ninth career win at Kentucky Speedway on Sunday, August 17th. He won the last two series championships on the strength of 22 top five finishes and over 1,400 laps led.

"Everyone within our organization appreciates what we have accomplished with Gil over the years. He has been a team player in all respects. We certainly wish him well in his future endeavors," said Tim Cindric, President, Penske Racing, Inc.

Hornish, the youngest champion in IndyCar Series history, captured the 2001 and 2002 championships and became the winningest driver in IRL history by scoring his ninth career win at Kentucky on Sunday, August 17th.

He won the last two series championships on the strength of 22 top-five finishes over 1,400 laps led and currently holds the IRL IndyCar Series record with 1,767 total laps led.

"Sam Hornish Jr. will be an excellent addition to Marlboro Team Penske. Certainly, we were fortunate to have the opportunity to hire someone with Sam's ability. He and Helio will give us a great combination next season," said Cindric.

"I am thrilled to be joining Marlboro Team Penske," said Hornish. "The opportunity to drive for the most successful open-wheel team in history and to follow in the footsteps of the organization's remarkable driver lineage, including Gil, is an honor."

"We are very pleased that Sam has chosen to become a part of Marlboro Team Penske," said Penske. "Sam is a great fit for the Team both on and off the track and we are confident we will achieve great success together."

Penske Racing is the most successful Indy car racing team in history with 118 race wins, highlighted by a record 13 Indianapolis 500 victories, 11 National Championships and 142 pole positions.

RichK
08-25-03, 11:57 AM
"Gil's commitment to the team produced two National Championships..."

C'mon, Pimpski, you can say it: CART Championships.

chop456
08-25-03, 11:57 AM
Good for Gil.

RTKar
08-25-03, 12:02 PM
Congrats to Gil on a fine career. It was a pleasure having him in CART.

lone_groover
08-25-03, 12:08 PM
The Captain sure runs a tidy......bowl.

Gill? who cares....

:thumdown:

Turn7
08-25-03, 12:13 PM
The only thing that care about coming out of this is the possibility of a "wealthy" team pulling Pennzoil out from underneath an IRL originating team like Panther.

Now that would be tooooo rich if Pennzoil teamed up with Penske again leaving Panther without any funding.

fourrunner
08-25-03, 01:08 PM
Firestone Commercial Yesterday with Michael Andretti as spokesman,
Under Michaels visual were the words "Michael Andretti, IndyCar Veteran"

So they're admitting CART was IndyCar all along, even after the lawsuits....

Sooner or later all the lies will catch up with them...

Congratulations Gil, on barely Surviving the IRL, and Helio's obnoxious cackling, I tell you!!! ;)

FRANKY
08-25-03, 01:17 PM
Gil :thumbup:

Hornish made a wise move. Cup wasn't his cup.

As a note... first American Penske has hired since Jr. in 94'

cart7
08-25-03, 01:25 PM
Good news. Gil was the only guy in the earl I really cared about, he and Barron. Good to see him out of those back snappers. :thumbup:

Jag_Warrior
08-25-03, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by RichK
"Gil's commitment to the team produced two National Championships..."

C'mon, Pimpski, you can say it: CART Championships.

I've always thought of CART as an international championship... one that means something. That's why CART champions often are able to move to top tier Forumula One teams, while IRL champions... :shakehead

Well, the kid's going with an IRL team owner who can offer him a NASCAR Nextel Cup ride in a couple of years, so it's probably a good move on his part. I just hope Gil can make it through the balance of the IRL season without injury... he really seems like a nice fellow (and a classy racer).

RTKar
08-25-03, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by FRANKY
Gil :thumbup:

Hornish made a wise move. Cup wasn't his cup.

As a note... first American Penske has hired since Jr. in 94'

Barron drove a few for him since then...if I remember correctly

JoeBob
08-25-03, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
Barron drove a few for him since then...if I remember correctly

Yup, Barron drove a few races in 1999 for Penske, and then again filling in for Gil after one of his injuries in the IRL.

FRANKY
08-25-03, 02:28 PM
I was thinking more in the line of full time rides. Tracy, Gil, Moore, Helio...

mapguy
08-25-03, 02:33 PM

That would be Alky Unser Jr back in 1999. Although one could argue that he didn't really 'race' that year.

FRANKY
08-25-03, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
That would be Alky Unser Jr back in 1999. Although one could argue that he didn't really 'race' that year.

Penske hired Jr. in 1994.

Previous to that Sullivan in 85;.

mapguy
08-25-03, 03:00 PM
Penske hired Jr. in 1994.

Previous to that Sullivan in 85;.

What about Rick Mears?

Who would make disparaging comments about Danny Sullivan?

pchall
08-25-03, 03:12 PM
I'd like to thank GdF for all the good memories on road and street courses and out chats across the fence in the pits at Indy during May of 1995. I'm not too keen on ovals, but he was really on form at Rockingham in 2001 and his 242+ at Fontana is still astounding.

pfc_m_drake
08-25-03, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
The only thing that care about coming out of this is the possibility of a "wealthy" team pulling Pennzoil out from underneath an IRL originating team like Panther.

Now that would be tooooo rich if Pennzoil teamed up with Penske again leaving Panther without any funding.
Then again, there is that 'Mobil 1' thing on the Penske engine cover...

But congratulations to Gil. He's one of the finest racers that I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. Kudos on many fine accomplishments :thumbup: :thumbup:

RTKar
08-25-03, 03:39 PM

Kind of thought you meant that but I figure anytime someone is hired, it's like an audition...you may get the job permanently. I would guess Moore was already on the backburner in 99 though.

FRANKY
08-25-03, 03:53 PM
What about Rick Mears?

Rick Mears was hired in 79'

Al Unser would have been previous to Sullivan, hired in 83'

Who would make disparaging comments about Danny Sullivan?

I figured some anal retentive person.

mapguy
08-25-03, 04:06 PM

I know. But he stuck around longer.

I figured some anal retentive person.

They would have to be as Sully was a really good driver. I met him when he was driving Garvin Brown's Lola at Mosport back in the Can-Am days. I also have a photo of him autographing my hat later when he drove for Paul Newman's Bud team. Great guy. :thumbup:

nz_climber
08-25-03, 05:05 PM
Congrats to Gil for such a good career

The big question is sam still going to get the power of TG and those debris yellows in his pimpski crapwagon??? :gomer:

Chitowncartfreak
08-25-03, 06:41 PM

Actually, he was hired in '78. He started on the front row with Penske at Indy that year (I believe he was on the outside of the front row.) His first Indy win was in 1979.

Lizzerd
08-25-03, 07:44 PM
"My experience with Marlboro Team Penske is, without question, the pinnacle of my career. I felt it was important to stop while I was at my best," said de Ferran.

Gil has always spoken the Penske company line, saying he was happy to be with Team Penske, etc., but he has also made it known that he misses OW road racing. I wouldn't be so sure that he is out of racing all together, either. This is only personal speculation, but I would't be surprised at all if Gil ended up back in CART next year. He's one of the guys that I would welcome back with open arms.

Chitowncartfreak
08-25-03, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
Gil has always spoken the Penske company line, saying he was happy to be with Team Penske, etc., but he has also made it known that he misses OW road racing. I wouldn't be so sure that he is out of racing all together, either. This is only personal speculation, but I would't be surprised at all if Gil ended up back in CART next year. He's one of the guys that I would welcome back with open arms.

Agreed. I think it's only a matter of time before the "Gil to CART" rumors start. He just doesn't strike me as someone who really is ready to step away from racing. If not CART, I can potentially see him driving in ALMS or something - maybe 1-offs at LeMans and/or Daytona. I would also welcome him back - he's the definition of class.

cartmanoz
08-25-03, 09:02 PM
Thank God Gil will most likely leave the IRL in one piece. I've been worried about him all season after his big crash at Phoenix. Someone of his road-racing capabilities should not be wasting away over in that pathetic series.

I truly hope he comes back to CART.

Turn7
08-25-03, 09:51 PM
After watching him on Wind Tunnel tonight, I would guess that he is headed towards team ownership.

He gave a pretty good answer to all questions except when despain asked directly, "What are the chances of you starting your own team?"

GDF:"I'll talk about that in Oct."

DaveL
08-26-03, 01:17 AM
Gotta love the Lemmings on this (and everything they proved to blithering hypocrites about).

Gil went from being a nameless, faceless Brazilian road racer getting a ride at the expense of a deserving American to the paragon for all that what right about the IRL.

Excuse me while I puke.

As for him retiring, I though he did that at the end of the 2001 season. No biggie here. I forgot about him a long time ago.

RaceChic
08-26-03, 06:50 AM
Quote:
"Penske Racing is the most successful Indy car racing team in history with 118 race wins, highlighted by a record 13 Indianapolis 500 victories, 11 National Championships and 142 pole positions."

And which darn series did THAT occur in....... :shakehead :flame: :shakehead
(With the exception of three, in all reality two, Indy500 wins)

Treeface
08-26-03, 08:52 AM
Phil Harms shows them with only 56 wins thru 2000?? Captain Liverspots got a few USAC wins and titles in the sucktacular seventies. I think Tom Sneva won the title without any wins and promptly got fired.

P.S> Has Penske been forgiven by the faithful for dumping Gary Bettenhausen?

Napoleon
08-26-03, 08:48 PM
Hornish sucks.

As to anything else about the IRL or Penske, I could not care less.