PDA

View Full Version : caveman computer questions

Railbird
08-22-03, 10:14 PM
looking at an upgrade from an old man's point of view.

Primary computer dates back to about 1996 with windows 95

slow and cantakorous

Garage update is a Compaq deskpro given to me by a buddy who is a generic computer/compaq/HP employee that was tasked with disposing of anything with "compaq" on it after HP took over. Once again I am looking at Win 95.

all a bunch of dial up slowness

I use my notebook (win98) most of the time just because it's quicker

My wife is ready to dump the phone lines and go with the Comcast cable hookup.

How far up the windows ladder do I need to climb to be compatitble with this cable deal?

and, any thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome on this subject.

not that I'll listen....;)

Cam
08-22-03, 10:26 PM
'bird.... I will PM ya... I looked after fellow members on this forum, I will look after you! :)

WickerBill
08-22-03, 10:52 PM
You should get yourself to a supported operating system. 95 and (soon) 98 will not be supported with security patches, fixes, and new software.

I'd suggest Windows 2000 if your machine can handle it, or XP if it can handle it. And get loads of memory; it's cheap and will make the cable modem experience better.

rabbit
08-23-03, 10:59 AM
Two words...

G

cartman
08-23-03, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
Two words...

G

Two words...

Too expensive :eek:

Railbird
08-23-03, 09:40 PM
thanks for the input folks, and thanks to Cam and SteveH for the PMs.

I'm not looking for the "latest and greatest", just a little input on what others think about these things.

I probably will go with 2000 as 98 is falling out of the update loop as WB pointed out. Maybe stuff a few sticks of memory in.

and then I'll just roll one up and act like I'm up to date.

nz_climber
08-24-03, 06:06 AM
I guess cam has already pointed you in the right direction (but watch out he an aussie ;) )

Anyway - my suggestion would be 2000, I use pro at work and server at home and have no problem with them at all, and my machine at home runs for months with out a reboot (only have to reboot when i install software that required a reboot)

I tried xp and didn't like it too much, i found it hides alot of stuff that i like to see (but that just me, and also problems with compatibility with cd burner)

i find a 1G processor and 512MG ram is plenty for wat i do (the 2.4G at work dosen't seem to be that much faster)

flobee1kenobi
08-25-03, 03:31 PM
If your Compaq came with 95, I think all it will be able to handle is win2000. Id tell you to get a new motherboard, but those freakin' Compaqs can only use compaq parts, so you're kinda screwd