PDA

View Full Version : Mika Salo after his champcar test at M-O

pchall
08-22-03, 08:11 PM
After 300 miles of testing with PKR:

“It’s the first time I’ve raced with a gearshift in 10 years!” he explained. “Actually, I quite enjoyed it. I thought the car would be like a donkey, but it was quite good; good brakes, good engine, good handling. Only in the high-speed corners did it feel a little lazy compared to a Formula 1 car, because of the weight difference.

“Mid-Ohio was very demanding, very technical. The team is good and it was good fun. We ran 150 laps, about 300 miles and made a lot of changes to the mechanical setup, which was something different: in Formula 1 these days all the changes you make are to the software.”

link (www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/7776/)

RichK
08-22-03, 08:36 PM
Driving a donkey can be most unrewarding.

Railbird
08-22-03, 08:38 PM
Interesting

may as well give him a shot IMO

RaceGrrl
08-22-03, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by RichK
Driving a donkey can be most unrewarding.

I just had a vision of Shirley MacLaine in Two Mules for Sister Sara.

pchall
08-22-03, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
I just had a vision of Shirley MacLaine in Two Mules for Sister Sara.

I just had a vision of Max Papis channeling Shirley MacLaine when he drives.

Methanolandbrats
08-22-03, 10:11 PM
Actually, I quite enjoyed it. I thought the car would be like a donkey, but it was quite good; good brakes, good engine, good handling. Only in the high-speed corners did it feel a little lazy compared to a Formula 1 car, because of the weight difference.
Snotty, condescending, backmarker Europunk. Send him back.

pchall
08-22-03, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Methanolandbrats

Considering banal quotes about the preparation and performance of cars by drivers in US series, I suppose you could be taken aback by such an honest appraisal.

Cam
08-22-03, 10:53 PM

I do believe the that a driver that went by the initials AS made very similar remarks about driving a ChampCar at Firebird a few years back. Wanna take a crack at him too? :shakehead

lone_groover
08-22-03, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Cam
....a driver that went by the initials AS...

Alan Sues?

:)

Cam
08-22-03, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover
Alan Sues?
:)

You are reaching with that one l_g! :D

Lizzerd
08-23-03, 12:35 AM
Getting back on topic, from the same article...

If it seems Max Papis is watching his rear view mirrors closely this weekend there?s a reason: Mika Salo is gaining on him. The Finn tested with the PK Racing last week at Mid-Ohio and word along pit lane at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve has it there was strong sentiment within the team to put Salo in the seat for the Molson Indy Montreal.

I ran into a buddy at RA who is a personal friend of Pollack (you wouldn't believe the perks he gets). He was in the pits for one of the pracice sessions and had a team radio. He told me that Max would come into the pits and say "in this corner, I have understeer, then oversteer, then understeer, then the back end skips out on exit." The crew would make changes while scratching their heads. The next time he would come in, he would say "now I have oversteer, then understeer, then oversteer, then the back end skips out on exit." Confused again, the crew would make another change. Max went back out on track and my friend heard Pollack say "I can have Mika Salo here next weekend." Apparently, the crew got a good chuckle from that.

Classic Apex
08-23-03, 11:32 AM

Hmmmmm. Didn't know you were European.

RaceChic
08-23-03, 12:31 PM
I like the way he acknowledged that there are so many changes being made to a Champ Car to get it running just right rather than software changes as he put it. :)

Chaos
08-23-03, 09:12 PM
"I thought the car would be like a donkey"...wtf does that mean?

As for the cars feeling lazy in the corners, would that be attributed to the lack of traction control and other driver aids?

Jag_Warrior
08-23-03, 10:55 PM
The guy had a short stint with one of the best grand prix teams and best prepared F1 cars of the past 50 years. Mr. Anti-Hakkinen was good (though not great), so I can't find his comment all that offensive. I'd rather he find driving a Champ car a pleasant surprise, rather than say that it was so easy that his grandmother could win in one. ;)

pchall
08-26-03, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Chaos
"I thought the car would be like a donkey"...wtf does that mean?

As for the cars feeling lazy in the corners, would that be attributed to the lack of traction control and other driver aids?

Donkey? A recalcitrant beast as opposed to a thoroughbred.

And the "lazy" feeling might be nearly 400lbs more weight than an F1 car and steel brake discs.

I'm bringing this thread up so all the folks pissing about Max's departure can reread what Salo had to say after 300 miles at M-O.

Chaos
08-26-03, 11:00 PM
And the "lazy" feeling might be nearly 400lbs more weight than an F1 car and steel brake discs.

True...both elements require more breaking distance. THe heavier weight and less powerful engine would cause the accelaration out of the corners to lag (as compared to an F1 car).

Lizzerd
08-26-03, 11:09 PM
To those of you who pooh pooh Mika's comments, please note that he did not say anything bad about the Champ Car other than it was not what he was used to. And he didn't say he was driving a donkey. Read it again and think twice before hitting the "Submit Reply" button.

I might as well say it... this comment was directed at you, Methanonandbrats.

cartmanoz
08-27-03, 06:55 AM
Indeed Lizzerd. If you reread the article (just for those who can't be bothered) he said he expected it to be a donkey, but he was surprised to find that it was rather good.

Therefore, it's apparent that he rather enjoyed his test and should enjoy his racing at PKR.. if the car is competitive..

RTKar
08-27-03, 11:19 AM
It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say after the races, especially Fontana.

racer2c
08-27-03, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Cam
I do believe the that a driver that went by the initials AS made very similar remarks about driving a ChampCar at Firebird a few years back. Wanna take a crack at him too? :shakehead

Senna's comments focused mainly on the difference in driver aids or the lack thereof.

Link (http://cfm.globalf1.net/features/articles/010/)

JoeBob
08-27-03, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by RTKar
It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say after the races, especially Fontana.

This is PK Racing we're talking about. Odds are, Mika won't last that long. :D

JT265
08-27-03, 11:33 AM
Dare I say it???

The ovalmeister himself for PK's ride at Fontana, none other than....

Donnie Beechler!!!!!!

Go ahead, say it!

you know you waaaaaaaannna. :D

RaceGrrl
08-27-03, 11:49 AM
I'll always say it.

Donnie, Donnie, Donnie Beechler.

He's just that good.