PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Plans

Napoleon
01-19-03, 01:11 PM
Just curious, at this point what are peoples Cleveland race plans (when you maybe in town, where you would be staying).

RaceChic
01-19-03, 01:54 PM
I am interested in going to a night race. Never been.
Anyone want to meet up with me here?:p

mello
01-19-03, 02:17 PM
I booked our room in Lakewood. Got a rate of $49 a night for Friday and Sat. night. It is the Days Inn. Room rates are showing $55 a night now. Looking on the map it didn't seem to far at all for that big a price savings. This will be our first trip to Cleveland Race and really looking forward to it. So veterans tell me what is the best section to sit in? Any clue as to when the tickets go on sale? I called but just get a recording. I have a feeling this is going to be a big one! We should have a hell of a meet. :) We will be arriving in town on Friday morning whenever the track opens.

Napoleon
01-19-03, 04:21 PM
Lakewood is a nice town. Maybe 15 min to drive in.

Miljax
01-19-03, 07:37 PM
Ladies and gents, how are ya... My first post over here... Looks nice, see some familiar names, all seems good. I will be attending this race for the first time. I live in Milwaukee and go the RA, the Mile, and travel to Long Beach every year for races. Used to do Brooklyn Michigan, but oh well... With Cleveland being a night race, that was all the convincing I needed!!! Would appreciate some help as where to stay, what to do, etc... Then and only then can I let you know my Cleveland plans... Because without some ideas, I have no clue...:cool: See ya all there...

rabbit
01-19-03, 07:44 PM
Y'all may want to BOOK NOW!!! My sis-in-law works for Holiday Inn and gets me a killer discount. :cool: Last year I called just a couple months before the race and got in the Holiday Inn downtown. Last week we tried to get the same hotel, but every Holiday Inn in town was booked. We are staying at the Holiday Inn in Richfield, down by Akron. It's about a 1/2 hour drive to the track, if traffic cooperates.

rocket
01-19-03, 09:22 PM
I'll be there, we're staying at the Embassy Suites, I'm pretty sure about that anyway. My brother made the res. for fri and sat night, and I think it is pretty close to the track.

Railbird
01-19-03, 09:56 PM
The Indians hosted the Yankees all weekend last year which affected room availability and the Sunday walkup crowd.

Anything like that going to happen this year?

rabbit
01-19-03, 09:59 PM
The Tribes at Kansas City and Minnesota all week.

tantra
01-20-03, 12:02 AM
I will be there. Days Inn Lakewood.

Hey, mello, Bring extra beer :)

Napoleon
01-20-03, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Miljax
Would appreciate some help as where to stay, what to do, etc... Then and only then can I let you know my Cleveland plans... Because without some ideas, I have no clue...:cool: See ya all there...

2 suggestions. Do a search of the "at the track forum" at 7G for last years threads. There was a lot of helpful stuff there. Also if you want me to send you an e-mail I prepared for someone else tell me (since it is a mix of graphics and text I can't post it).

Originally posted by 'bird
Anything like that going to happen this year?

As far as I can tell there is no big event scheduled that weekend (other then the fireworks which will draw several hundred thousand into an area streaching from Edgewater Park west of the river to some of the parks east of Burke, but which don't draw people who use hotel rooms)

BTW I don't know how helpful this will be.

http://www.travelcleveland.com/

Warlock!
01-20-03, 09:34 AM
I plan on gettin there Saturday morning before whatever's gonna be on-track gets on track. Spending the night there somewhere, I just haven't gotten a big eough itch to choose a hotel yet.

Winter Warlock!

mnkywrch
01-20-03, 10:09 AM
We really don't know if we're going or not to Cleveland this year.

I'm thinking about CART @ RA this year... I can get out of town and avoid the Brickyard 400, plus, given the D&G, I should see a race there while I can... it sounds like Cleveland isn't going anywhere...

turn1
01-20-03, 11:14 AM
FYI Baseball Fans - The Days Inn referenced here is the same hotel Jose Mesa used to enjoy regularly. It is in a great neighborhood (I live about .5 miles away) but I have had mixed reviews regarding quality and cleanliness. It is very convenient, even for public transportation (bus or taxi) to the track. FYI - there is another hotel on Lake/Edgewater in Lakewood that is also cheap.

mnkywrch
01-20-03, 11:57 AM
I may have stayed in that Days Inn on a previous trip to Cleveland.

Is it west of Downtown, near the lake, in a quiet neighborhood?

turn1
01-20-03, 12:01 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes. Frankly, it is an odd location for a hotel.

mnkywrch
01-20-03, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by turn1
Yes, Yes, Yes. Frankly, it is an odd location for a hotel.

Ahh, the days before zoning...

It wasn't bad. I'd stay there again if we knew we were going, for sure.

Sean O'Gorman
01-20-03, 12:32 PM
I'll be there at least 2 days, depending on my work schedule.

mello
01-20-03, 06:26 PM
Thanks for all the input on the Days Inn. Glad to know it is in a nice quiet place. Have stayed in some pretty bad places before. So I am sure this will fine! Or maybe was a nice quiet place till some of us get there. lol

jdcooper
01-24-03, 11:02 PM
I'm goin. I live there. Didn't go for the past 2 yr due to the opressive heat. Don't think that'll be a problem this year ! I hope they qualify at night. This one could well be the party of the year. Lets Rock and Roll....

jdcooper
01-24-03, 11:04 PM
oppressive. Really, I am not illiterate....
Gotta start using that spell checker !