PDA

View Full Version : One fan's perspective on the "new" CART

RR. RS.
08-22-03, 07:11 PM
I know that I'm new on this forum and that some can't tolerate long threads, but I have to do one and I hope it isn't too painful.

A lot of people on these kinds of forums have been talking about how the potential new CART will not be the same. The new CART will have too many or maybe all street circuits. Many believe there is little passing on these tight circuits, so the racing is boring in their eyes. Many people believe that the idea of 'MotoRock' is just a gimmick to get people out to the track and party, and that these people will never will never attend other races or watch them on t.v. Still other people see the lack of U.S. drivers in the series and they can't get the hang of watching some of the best drivers from around the world show their skills.

So here's my perspective on the "new" CART.

Their will be more street circuits next season. Why? Because CART does need to bring the message to the masses. The IRL has proven that contrived formula racing on ovals away from the cities doesn't work (yes IRL fans, they have, don't deny it). NASCAR has taken away this country's short and simple attention span for racing (which explains The Dukes of Hazzard being the #1 t.v. show in the early '80's, Jerry Springer, and the high ratings and sold out arena's for professional wrestling). But there still is a large group out there like most of you and my friends that try to expand their minds by reading, maybe playing a musical instrument, and enjoying formula and road racing. I believe that CART will continue with some of their well attended ovals and road courses such as Cleveland, Portland, Milwaukee, Mid-Ohio, Road America, the Mexico events and Montreal, but the street venues will dominate. And the streets can produce good racing if laid out properly. I was at St. Pete this year and the track is wide at many points and fast (the race action in turn one where I was sitting was awesome!).

The 'MotoRock' concept is intriguing. It will bring people to the track with the potential of creating new fans. What I really vision with 'MotoRock' and CART is a Lollapalooza type of feel with sponsorship and marketing working together. I can just see the potential of a Sony, JVC, RCA, Boston Acoustics, Playstation, X-Box and Quicksilver sponsored cars. I can also see bands like Disturbed or Audioslave using Champ Car footage in one of their videos.

As for U.S. born drivers in the series, I think the outlook is looking much better than in the past. Face it folks, to race you need money, so you need sponsorship to get the money, and you need U.S. company sponsorship to get U.S. drivers. I see the new "urban" CART increasing sponsor involvement with the larger metropolitan crowds. The talented group of younger U.S. formula drivers are now out there and making noise (something I didn't see in young U.S. drivers around ten years ago) and now I believe CART team owners are taking notice. If more U.S. drivers create more fans great, but personally I've loved watching Nigel Mansell, Jacques V.,Juan Montoya, Christiano DaMatta and now Sebastian Bourdais strut their stuff.

Well, there's just some of my observations on the near future folks. Creating a new foundation to grow CART across many different types of tracks and places around the world much like the glory days.

Comments? Questions? Insults?

Thanks.

Railbird
08-22-03, 07:33 PM
I enjoy the concrete canyons as a challenging part of a diverse schedule.

I figure the oval part of the deal is over and wonder why they even bother with Milwaukee.

As an Indy resident I will be very interested in seeing whether they can keep dates at RA, MO and Cleveland.

With those three, Portland and Laguna, the Mexican and Canadian events you can throw in Long Beach and St Pete.

That is a strong base.

Add a few urban festivals in Miami and Denver, plus Australia as long as it brings in cash, and you've got something resembling a season.

I suggested a NAFTA based series last year but Chris didn't listen

fourrunner
08-22-03, 07:42 PM
I will Pray, Cheer, Wait and See what 2004 brings for CART.....

I will then enjoy EVERY minute of whatever it is, because the alternative is not acceptable to me!!

I'm sure whatever CART starts out to be next year, will be a "Work in Progress" and every adjustment will be to make it better! :thumbup:

Railbird
08-22-03, 08:06 PM
because the alternative is not acceptable to me!!

the alternative?

what, not watching anything?

Lots of alternatives out there 'runner.

one of them is racing at America's best roadcourse this weekend

RR. RS.
08-22-03, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Railbird

And I'll be there... cheering on the Prodrive 550's.

RTKar
08-22-03, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by RR. RS.
And I'll be there... cheering on the Prodrive 550's.

...and I'll be there too at a great road course, watching racing how it's supposed to be.

Railbird
08-22-03, 09:24 PM
crawl out of the tent and head for a Tshirt truck to watch the green flag at Budapest while eating an egger.

That's a Sunday mornig right there

fourrunner
08-22-03, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
because the alternative is not acceptable to me!!

the alternative?

what, not watching anything?

Lots of alternatives out there 'runner.

No Worries, I'll have plenty to watch including what your describing!

By "The Alternative is unacceptable to me". I meant CART Disappearing.

Supporting the IRL to me would be akin to Having Dinner with the guy who just killed my best friend!

I've invested to much emotion & money since 1979 in CART to be at all happy about its disappearing. Even supporting some of the traitorous scumbags (Penske, Ganassi, The Weak Willed Andretti, etc.who assisted in this "Sell Out" to date

Boy, that felt good!!

;) ;)

Railbird
08-22-03, 10:21 PM
I've spent too much of my life observing racing and it's living history to turn a blind eye toward any of it.

A lot of it pisses me off at this point of time, but history tells us about ebbs and flows.