PDA

View Full Version : "...tip of the iceburg."

racer2c
08-22-03, 02:31 PM
So believes David Philip's on what lies ahead on route to CART being bought.

Any guesses as to what that could mean? David is about as connected as they come, for him to say that, there's a reason.

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/7735/)

cart7
08-22-03, 02:41 PM
“(OWRS) plan(s) to provide enhanced value to sponsors by increasing the fan base both at race venues and via other broadcast mediums. (OWRS) believe(s) that the financial interests of the teams are best promoted by creating a stable business environment to allow the successful operation of the teams over the long term. In order to keep the racing and support series operating, the OWRS may consider taking additional actions including evaluating the racing schedule to support the focus areas of fans, sponsors and teams, expanding promoter relationships

and increasing the number of street races in the racing series.”

Hmmmm..... :saywhat:

KLang
08-22-03, 02:45 PM
Bring back Houston! :thumbup:

Turn7
08-22-03, 03:00 PM
People complain about the Street races because the "racing" sucks.

However, I know more than a dozen people who follow CART with at least a mild interest that had no idea what CART was before they came to Houston. A dozen fans doesn't make a series but, if we looked at it as you would Neilson does, that would equate to a large number of fans add from such a loser of a race.

Plain and simple fact, street parades add fans and make money. TV ratings suck....TV ratings suck overall anyway. There isn't any sponsor value difference between a .6 and a .9 rating.

RedLine
08-22-03, 03:27 PM
I don't think the fault lies with the genre of street racing per se, just the layout of particular courses.

One "bad" layout doesn't make them all unattractive.

They've been graphically described as "concrete canyons". Perhaps in an effort to attract the young, X Games demographic a couple of full pipes could be hauled and installed from race to race.

Afterall, the aero pacakages will stick them to the ceiling, won't they?

:eek:

racer2c
08-22-03, 03:43 PM
I believe the context of the "tip of the iceberg" quote is referring to the buyout happenings, not what the MotoCARTrock experience.

We all know where CART is going. How and who are they going to do it is the big question.

rabbit
08-22-03, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by RedLine
I don't think the fault lies with the genre of street racing per se, just the layout of particular courses.

One "bad" layout doesn't make them all unattractive. A point worth repeating. For every Miami and Denver, there's a Toronto and Long Beach. I have zero problem with more street courses, IF they are done right.

A few more Clevelands, Mexico Cities or Portlands wouldn't be all bad either.:thumbup:

KLang
08-22-03, 05:00 PM
I may not be the norm but I never really considered traveling to attend a race until someone brought the Des Moines Grand Prix to town when I lived there. That experiance gave me my first taste of actually being there as opposed to just watching on TV. I've attended a couple Cart races every year since.

RR. RS.
08-22-03, 05:15 PM
I've got the perfect course laid out in Milwaukee along the lakefront if they never can attract people 7 miles away from downtown to the Milwaukee Mile :D
Whatever it takes to get the ball rolling again!

Napoleon
08-22-03, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Turn7

However, I know more than a dozen people who follow CART with at least a mild interest that had no idea what CART was before they came to Houston. A dozen fans doesn't make a series but, if we looked at it as you would Neilson does, that would equate to a large number of fans add from such a loser of a race.

Plain and simple fact, street parades add fans and make money. TV ratings suck....TV ratings suck overall anyway. There isn't any sponsor value difference between a .6 and a .9 rating.

Agreed :thumbup:

RaceGrrl
08-22-03, 08:19 PM
Diversity, diversity, diversity...

That's what CART has been about for me.

So they add a few more street courses that are competitive. It might be easier to accept that way, but it is the tradition and charm of the permanent road courses like Road America and MidOhio that are the heart and soul of CART for me. Even the ovals have their place in this series.

Take away the few ovals and natural terrain road courses that are left, and you've eviscerated CART- it's an empty shell.

Will I stop watching and going to races? I don't know. Maybe.

Dr. Corkski
08-22-03, 09:33 PM
MotoRock is about as appealing to me as a Pet Rock. The Champ Cars are plenty good enough that they shouldn't become sideshows to no-talent musical acts.

Dave99
08-22-03, 10:55 PM
Why is everyone under the assumption that a concert will cut into the fan's time at the track? These concerts are always hours after CART is done for the day. Concerts are in addition to, not in lieu of.

fourrunner
08-23-03, 12:44 AM
It's the Devils Work I tell you!! :gomer:

Eagle104
08-23-03, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
MotoRock is about as appealing to me as a Pet Rock.
Time to bring back the "Dick Clark's Caravan Of Stars". :)

Team up with some "classics" (ok.."oldies"!) and appeal to the generation who actually has some $$ to spend.

We pander enough already to "youth", don't we? Don't we?? :p :cool:

JT265
08-23-03, 07:20 AM
Good one Eagle! i can just see it now,

"Boxcar Willie presents the MotorRock ChampCar Festival Extravaganza, powered by Preparation H" :D

(your mileage may vary. ;) )

Mariofan
08-23-03, 04:25 PM
Diversity, diversity, diversity...

No doubt, CART is CART because of that. If we just go streets then we have dumbed down the sport IMO.

Ankf00
08-23-03, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Turn7

all my friends that went to texaco gp just went for trans am or as guests of trans am, none of em had a clue what car was/is/will be nor cared... damn wankers.

cart7
08-25-03, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by JT265
Good one Eagle! i can just see it now,

"Boxcar Willie presents the MotorRock ChampCar Festival Extravaganza, powered by Preparation H" :D

(your mileage may vary. ;) )

:rofl: