PDA

View Full Version : Question about IRL and engines

calculus_entropy
08-19-03, 12:24 PM
Does anybody know if the IRL used any common sense about allowing the Cosworth in? Heck, even NASCAR has been known to take cars to the wind tunnel to equalize (at least before the common templates arrived). Did the IRL confiscate a few engines of each brand and run them on a dyno or anything to determine the "equality," or was it simply a case of the IRL saying sure, bring it on because we love Sam?

cart7
08-19-03, 12:39 PM
It would have taken T & H powered cars to drag 50lb blocks behind them to allow the chevs to catch up. This was as much helping GM stay competitive as much as it had to do with Sam. History has shown how long Chevy stays around when the competition bumps it up a few notches. I'm sure the earl shuddered at the thought of GM leaving and the league being at T & H's whim. This should be interesting how this plays out.

Jag_Warrior
08-19-03, 01:08 PM
I haven't watched a complete IRL race since a pal sent me a tape of Texas several years ago. But if the Chevworth spanks the field as easily as what I saw on Speed News... I'll be watching some IRL races this year. :eek:

I would absolutely LOVE to see the Cosworth win every race from this point on... decisively! Finally, I have something to cheer for in the IRL. I also want to see how Toyo and Honda/Ilmor respond to the "fix" if they get the *****e kicked out of them from this point on. Go Cosworth!!! :thumbup:

stymie
08-19-03, 02:21 PM
From what I have heard it was not reviewed that much. The Cosworth was an approved engine, just like the TWR engine that was sitting around waiting for a Manufacturer to put their name on it.

While Sam may have been a concern the IRL was also concerned with what are essentiually their "Original" teams falling by the wayside with the Engine manufacturer GM that helped get the league started up.

I have heard Toyota has more available in the existing engine to compete, evident by Dixon slowly closing in on Hornish toward the end of the race; but I'm not sure how much is in the Honda.

oddlycalm
08-20-03, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Jag_Warrior
I would absolutely LOVE to see the Cosworth win every race from this point on... decisively! Finally, I have something to cheer for in the IRL. I also want to see how Toyo and Honda/Ilmor respond to the "fix" Yessir, you and me both, but I'll settle for just watching Speed News. Most of us predicted this would happen, but it sure didn't take long...:cool:

Lee White - TRD:
"Now we expect to be given equal consideration. I think I'll give the IRL a letter requesting that we be allowed to bring in a new motor. Immediately."And so it begins.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Good luck Tonholio, you lump of raw sewage, it couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.