PDA

View Full Version : Official: Hornish Leaving Panther

JoeBob
08-18-03, 03:55 PM
http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/news/story.php?story_id=1829

All that money on the Cosworth, and he's still leaving! The only way he's driving a Chevy next year is if he's got a roof over his head.

racer2c
08-18-03, 04:05 PM
To make a departure announcment without a destination announcment tell me he is either Penske bound, or NASCAR bound. More than likely tin tops.

cart7
08-18-03, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by racer2c
To make a departure announcment without a destination announcment tell me he is either Penske bound, or NASCAR bound. More than likely tin tops.
Since Gil and Castroneves are locked and Penske has said he won't run a 3rd car, I'd say the latter.

JoeBob
08-18-03, 04:16 PM
Ganassi is a remote possibility as well - and he can offer a few NASCAR drives on the side. However, Ganassi's one experience hiring a "name driver" (Brack) didn't go very well. Ganassi's MO seems to be to hire a relatively unknown driver who shows promise for pennies.

He'll win a bunch of races with him, and when he asks for a raise, Cheep earns his name and lets the driver go elsewhere. The only driver I can think of who got a contract extension from Ganassi was Vasser, and he was tossed not long after.

sundaydriver
08-18-03, 04:17 PM
This is so awesome! I'm laughing my ass off at thought of the Gomers losing their hero. :laugh:

I hope he goes to Nascar. That would be great. :thumbup:

mapguy
08-18-03, 04:19 PM
hahahaha! Larry Foyt has competition!

:thumdown:

Sham goes from being king of the spits to spit of the kings. Hope DEI bought you a nice motorhome. Cuz you'll need it mid season when they fire your no-talent wanker ass.

mapguy
08-18-03, 04:31 PM
A quote from John Barnes of Panther Racing in the article:

It was clear yesterday, when we won Kentucky, that this combination is the toughest in open-wheel racing today.

Talk about free-basing the kool-aid. Sham can't even carry Servia's jock never mind the top half of the C^RT grid. Imagine Sham in a Lola-Ford at Milwaukee. He'd be in the wall faster than a drunk heading to the liquor store.

JoeBob
08-18-03, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
Talk about free-basing the kool-aid. Sham can't even carry Servia's jock never mind the top half of the C^RT grid. Imagine Sham in a Lola-Ford at Milwaukee. He'd be in the wall faster than a drunk heading to the liquor store.

All this made me imagine was Sam spinning at Indy, and Little Al reacting by turning into the wall. Hrm...

lone_groover
08-18-03, 04:49 PM
Look at this P.O.S.'s fans. Same morons who called Low-Cal Ray the "Tiger Woods", and claimed that Buddy the Retard kept JPM "honest" in '00.

I concur, mapguy. This loser sucks @ss the way Helio...never mind.

:gomer:

DaveL
08-18-03, 05:09 PM
What the IRL has become has provided nothing but pure entertainment in the form of the nearly weekly Meltdowns on TenderloinForum.

I hope Sham does go to NASCAR. He'll get his ass handed to him.

Turn7
08-18-03, 06:26 PM
Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

Railbird
08-18-03, 06:47 PM
I'd hire him in a heartbeat.

Not the superhuman the IRL fans claim he is, but the kid can race.

I really don't why he would want to go to Nascar other than money or why a Nascar team would want him since he didn't come up in the front engine solid axle formula that bred J Gordon, Stewart, Newman and others.

Is he Scott Dixon?

no

Is he better than some of the wankers I've seen in CART this year?

you bet.

Bottom line if he goes to the tintops he better have a high end deal with a manufacture and plan on a year in the Grand Nationals.

Maybe Penske slides him in to replace the aging warrior in the 2 car after Sam spends a year in Rusty's new Busch team. A third car at Indy would keep the kid on the hook long enough to see if he cuts it with fenders and ancient technology. If not, the captain a solid replacement on hand for the day that Gil retires.

Mariofan
08-18-03, 09:02 PM
My sentiments are those of Railbird when it comes to his talents. Sorry.

I think he will wind up at Penske. Curt Cavin on a Sunday night sports show said that Sam more or less wanted to become a "legend."
Legends are hard to come by breaking into NASCAB. I look for either Gil to retire or for Roger to run a third car for Tony George's benefit. Fatboy Chip could be in the mix, but my money is on Penske coming through.

Chief
08-18-03, 09:54 PM
He may or may not be a good driver. I'd like to see him do something else than turn left and win 2 IRL championships against questionable opponents. Hardly the stuff of legends.

Despain just threw out the John Companegro agent rumor. Maybe N/H rumored 3rd car (instead of AGR)? IRL's giving him local hero status only.

Railbird
08-18-03, 10:13 PM
if he wants to be a "legend" in America at this point in time he better figure out that Nascar thing.

Hey, how about this:

Ina mad attempt to grab a little thunder after money whippin' Vanini and buying the series, Kalkhoven throws down the big bucks and hires JV and Sam for PKR?

I know, I know

RTKar
08-18-03, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
if he wants to be a "legend" in America at this point in time he better figure out that Nascar thing.

Hey, how about this:

Ina mad attempt to grab a little thunder after money whippin' Vanini and buying the series, Kalkhoven throws down the big bucks and hires JV and Sam for PKR?

I know, I know

...and I say give some of the talented dirt trackers a test or two as well..you know, just to show TG what vision really means. We all heard about what Busch did in a Champcar and JJ Yeley doesn't have much good to say about what the earl was supposed to do for drivers like him. What's there to lose? and maybe a little focus would come Champcars way...Hiring Sam wouldn't be a bad idea either. It's hard to say what talent lies covered by a spec that really doesn't test a driver beyond the scope of keeping a gas pedal on the floor and spotter giving directions.

racer2c
08-18-03, 10:51 PM
CART has stated in the last year or so that they understand the importance of nurturing some domestic drivers. Hmmm. ;)

Treeface
08-18-03, 11:49 PM
He is not the one.

Gurneyflap
08-19-03, 09:12 AM
I believe Penske has wanted him for more than 2 years and who's to say Rusty won't go sooner than Gil? In any case they BOTH are getting close and I trust Roger's judge of driving talent FAR more than estimations I've read here! NO driver would turn down his kind of offer, money-wise OR career-wise. I do NOT hope he goes to NASCAB. Open wheel racing needs to keep him.

Gurneyflap
08-19-03, 09:22 AM
That part of the little show was as close to real racing and real sport from NASCAB in a long time! It's all publicity and for 'CAB it's all good.

Racewriter
08-19-03, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by DaveL
What the IRL has become has provided nothing but pure entertainment in the form of the nearly weekly Meltdowns on TenderloinForum.

I hope Sham does go to NASCAR. He'll get his ass handed to him.

Yep. Ganassi and Petty are already finding out that all openwheel drivers are not created equal - just like Cal Wells did. Penske will learn, too...

Gurneyflap
08-19-03, 09:28 AM
Ooops...this was supposed to be under "Spencer decks Busch"...sorry. Please remove.

cart7
08-19-03, 10:01 AM
IMO, the guys talent is questionable. In 01, his only competition was B.Lazier in the Hemelgarn car. Last year, had Penske run the same gen chevy that Panther ran, it wouldn't have even been close. He seems to be great at the foot-to-the-floor, point n shoot cookie cutters but not nearly as dominant on the driver tracks. His record at Indy is pathetic.

Gurneyflap
08-19-03, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I'm thinkin' Naz next week will tell us something along that line. (again)...but I still don't want to see him in 'CAB.

Peter Venkman
08-19-03, 10:06 PM
"Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house."

Or don't throw anything if you throw like a girl.

People will laugh at you.

JT265
08-19-03, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Peter Venkman
"Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house."

Or don't throw anything if you throw like a girl.

People will laugh at you.

or never, never throw in the towel if you build a suck@ss engine.

Remember, at Chevy, "Quality is Job 1"

or,

"Chevy, we'll be there"

"there" being:

Number 1 The American Road,
Dearborn Michigan, USA.

:D

FRANKY
08-20-03, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by mapguy
hahahaha! Larry Foyt has competition!

:thumdown:

Sham goes from being king of the spits to spit of the kings. Hope DEI bought you a nice motorhome. Cuz you'll need it mid season when they fire your no-talent wanker ass.

How do you like your crow???

Or do you prefer Cornish Hen?

Watched him in Atlantics and I think he will do much better than you expect.

mapguy
08-20-03, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by FRANKY
How do you like your crow???

Or do you prefer Cornish Hen?

Watched him in Atlantics and I think he will do much better than you expect.

:gomer: You must be kidding. I saw him race Atlantics as well. He wouldn't know an apex if it hit him in the head. Has one fluke win and is no-where near the podium the rest of the season. He couldn't even win in 3 years of F2000. He can't win unless the car has an 'advantage'.

He sucks.

Railbird
08-20-03, 06:25 AM
when judging Hornish's performances in F2000 or Atlantics one must remember his age.

Ayrton Senna was beaten by Lake Speed in his early days yet I hear no one singing the praises of the old Lakester.

Hornish is looking at a rough road in Cup for the same reason Tracy would be but that's no reason to completely discount his abilities.

I'm not trying to defend an IRL hero but I've watched racing too many years to write someone off because of where he made his name.

mapguy
08-20-03, 06:29 AM
when judging Hornish's performances in F2000 or Atlantics one must remember his age.

Ayrton Senna was beaten by Lake Speed in his early days yet I hear no one singing the praises of the old Lakester.

I respectfully disagree with your first point 'Bird. Greg Moore was all of 18 when he almost won the Indy Lights title the year before he crushed everyone. He also competed in F2000 and won the title at the ripe young age of 16. Unlike Hornish who barely made it into the top ten in three years.

As for your second point. I'll give that one to you as PT finished ahead of Schumacher (the dirty-cheating one) in the Worlds and regularly beat him.

Railbird
08-20-03, 06:39 AM
so everyone who doesn't match up to Gregg's early performance is a slug?

mapguy
08-20-03, 06:43 AM
so everyone who doesn't match up to Gregg's early performance is a slug?

Not exactly. What I meant was that the age arguement as used with Hornish doesn't fly, IMO. I should have used more examples. Like PT winning at Mosport in a Can-Am Frisbee at the age of 17. There are others. But with regards to Hornish, he was a back packer in the feeders. A mid packer in the irl before he got to Panther. He's nothing special.

Railbird
08-20-03, 07:09 AM
the jury is still out IMO.

It really isn't going to matter though since I have a feeling he's heading to Nascar where he will more than likely end up as wall fodder for the good ol' boys.

mapguy
08-20-03, 07:11 AM

It really isn't going to matter though since I have a feeling he's heading to Nascar where he will more than likely end up as wall fodder for the good ol' boys.

I have heard that he is replacing Dashley at AGR. Although I tend to think that he is heading to the Cabs.

Railbird
08-20-03, 07:29 AM
double post

mapguy
08-20-03, 07:33 AM
double post

Double post 20 minutes apart. That's gotta be a record.

Take a bow, 'Bird :thumbup:

lone_groover
08-20-03, 12:07 PM
Even with the old Generation 3 Chev, the Game Hen had so much more horsepower than everybody else that his team could afford to dial-in so much downforce that he could run the corners faster than anybody else. No special shocks; no superhuman pilot. Just a lot of help from BeerFart and company.

No debis yellows at Sparta because Horny didn't need any.

Besides, ANYBODY can drive a CRAPWAGON.

:p

RichK
08-20-03, 12:16 PM

That's the IRL for you. The jury is still out on the driving skills of a 2 time champion.

Railbird
08-20-03, 12:49 PM
nothing to do with the IRL, the jury is still out IMO.

I would like to see him in a more challenging formula before I decided on his worth as a driver.

and Cup ain't it

Chitowncartfreak
08-20-03, 01:14 PM
I agree - the jury is still out. Although Sam has a pretty good record in the IRL with Panther, the IRL lacks the credibility necessary to make it a proper proving ground. One may argue that the Indy 500 has the credibility. If that's the case, how has Sam done at Indy? Enough said.

lone_groover
08-20-03, 04:59 PM
OK, jury's still out. We'll have to defer to Railbird's superior judgement. After all, the man's seen more shoes come and go than Elmer Batters. :)

Railbird
08-20-03, 09:41 PM
come on groover

condescending bull**** is so unlike you......;)