PDA

View Full Version : Traction control

Railbird
08-15-03, 09:41 PM
Because of a few unfortunate deals involving date changes and a whack kid, Mid Ohio was the first CART roadrace I had seen since Elkhart Lake last year.

The difference is amazing between the pre and post tc challenge for the drivers. Even though I don't care for the spec engine deal that enabled easy elimination of the evil device, I sure enjoy watching the boys steer with the throttle again.

Last year standing close to the exits of turn 6 and Canada corner the game for me was deciding who had the most/least tc dialed in as they all just flat matted and let the 'puter sort it out. This year from the stands preceding Madness the spectacle was watching the boys drive 'em in and save their line with a little feathering of the throttle.

I grew up watching heroes, not bytes.

nrc
08-15-03, 10:01 PM
After hearing the cars studdering their way around MidOhio last year I never wanted to hear that racket again.

It's also pretty evident that for quite some time "drivability" has largely been a euphamism for traction control. The visible difference between this year and recent years past is pretty obvious. The higher torque of this year's engine may be part of it, but certainly not all of it.

If it takes spec electronics dealt out like pop-off valves to keep traction control from ever coming back, do it.

The good news is that this year's formula could be stretched out for a while if necessary. I think they've discovered some things that could apply equally well to a multi-engine series. In the future the series should continue to buy or lease the engines and deal them out to the teams along with spec electronics. Blow an engine prior to the required life and you forfeit some manufacturer's points.

Railbird
08-15-03, 10:03 PM
Blow an engine prior to the required life and you forfeit some manufacturer's points

now that's a thought worth keeping on file.

racer2c
08-15-03, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by nrc
After hearing the cars studdering their way around MidOhio last year I never wanted to hear that racket again.

It's also pretty evident that for quite some time "drivability" has largely been a euphamism for traction control. The visible difference between this year and recent years past is pretty obvious. The higher torque of this year's engine may be part of it, but certainly not all of it.

If it takes spec electronics dealt out like pop-off valves to keep traction control from ever coming back, do it.

The good news is that this year's formula could be stretched out for a while if necessary. I think they've discovered some things that could apply equally well to a multi-engine series. In the future the series should continue to buy or lease the engines and deal them out to the teams along with spec electronics. Blow an engine prior to the required life and you forfeit some manufacturer's points.

Absolutly brilliant! Bravo nrc!

At the outset of the Ford spec, didn't Ford say they were prepared to continue until '05 with this configuration?

'bird, I couldn't agree more. I'm still pissed that they don't shift gears in F1 anymore. Well that and the grooved tires.

SteveH
08-15-03, 11:57 PM
"'bird, I couldn't agree more. I'm still pissed that they don't shift gears in F1 anymore. Well that and the grooved tires."

And I was so looking forward to no TC at the USGP this year but the rules were changed again. The first year was glorious, you could actually hear the gear shifts. Now it sounds like the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles.

Lizzerd
08-16-03, 12:35 AM
If/when other engine manufacturers join/come back to CART, a spec ECU wouldn't be possible, unless CART writes it into the rules before the engines are designed. Maybe that's what you had in mind, nrc? Maybe one of the engine gurus could enlighten us about the feasability.

Another, albeit costly, way to possibly police no traction control with multiple engine manufacturers in the future would be for them to be forced to confidentially release their ECU source code to an independent contractor(s) to scrutinize. They would then have to somehow prove that the object code of the ECU installed at the track matched what was submitted for review. I'm faced with this every time I and my client release a new revision of my code. It's the feds that make us do that, though.

Bottom line is, I agree with all of the above who hate TC, but to monitor it with multiple suppliers would be tough.

Hink
08-16-03, 05:28 AM
Bourdais' final qualifying lap at RA had a spectacular drift through turn three that I won't soon forget. He was sliding the car like hell through a very important turn down the long downhill straight and just nailed the exit - right next to the grass.

No traction control, lots of sliding, Andgreat exit.

(Finally begining to think he's not a full time crasher and might amount to something. Was not a Bourdais fan at all at first - seeing this was very interesting.

A side note: Still not a Papis fan but standing 15' from the sweeper, turn five, on Saturday Vancouver quals had me convinced he drifted into the cement twice - but left no tire mark so didn't.)

oddlycalm
08-16-03, 12:30 PM
Agreed, the loss of traction control and the high torque has made a positive difference. In general, we have had good racing this year as a result. At Portland I noticed that Jourdain had a more trouble exiting corners than Tracy did, which is the kind of difference I want to see on the track.

IMO the issue of engine mfg's is no longer interesting. With all the badging and BS that goes on, as well as the politics, I welcome an all Cosworth field. I'm sure additional money would be welcomed, but I don't miss the BS. We have had all Cosworth fields before in CART, or nearly so, and the result was the same then. I miss Honda and Toyoda not at all.

formulaben
08-23-03, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by SteveH
"'bird, I couldn't agree more. I'm still pissed that they don't shift gears in F1 anymore. Well that and the grooved tires."

And I was so looking forward to no TC at the USGP this year but the rules were changed again. The first year was glorious, you could actually hear the gear shifts. Now it sounds like the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles.

I hate to burst your bubble Steve, but I know for a fact that TC was present at the 2000 USGP. Maybe not all teams, but I saw it with my own eyes and ears. I even have it somewhere on digital film. The worst offender was HHF in the Jordan leaving the pits on a semi-damp exit. The rear tire marks looked like this as he passed the pit exit acceleration point:

||||| || | || | | | | | | ---------->

||||| || | || | | | | | | ---------->

NO human throttle control makes those kinds of tire tracks. Only a spark cut does.