PDA

View Full Version : Single Car Qualifying Announced for Denver, Miami

devilmaster
08-14-03, 12:44 PM
http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=6847

The unique format, which will be in effect only for the aforementioned races, will debut in Denver with first-round qualifying on Friday, August 29. Saturday's final round of qualifying in the single-car format, which is believed to be the first of its kind for major open-wheel racing in the United States, will be televised live on SPEED Channel beginning at 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time.

First-round qualifying order will be run in reverse order of Friday practice times for both events, while the order for final qualifying will run in reverse of the first-round results. Each competitor will run one untimed out lap, followed by three qualifying laps. The best single lap of the three will count as the driver's official time. A driver that returns to the pits before taking the green flag will have a chance to run again after all other competitors have qualified, but a driver that runs at least one green flag lap will not be allowed to make another qualifying effort.

The timing line will be located near the entrance to the pits in both Denver and Miami, meaning that each driver will run one untimed in-lap segment after his third qualifying circuit. In an effort to ensure that every driver gets the opportunity to run unimpeded, CART Champ Car Stewards will take away a driver's fastest lap if, on their in-lap segment, they are found to have blocked the following competitor's out lap.

Steve

Gurneyflap
08-14-03, 01:53 PM
Couldn't have picked two better race tr...uh, circuits for this plan. I think it's a good idea and hope it works. Now, if Rodolfo takes the pole we will ALL have learned something!

Dr. Corkski
08-14-03, 05:55 PM
The should change the "race" itself to single car format too.

Turn7
08-14-03, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
The should change the "race" itself to single car format too.

Somebody get this guy a pass to the CART head hanchos off "STAT" as racechic would say.

That is the best idea in the world. I figure it took you a long time to come up with a brain spasm that good.

:gomer:

Hink
08-15-03, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by CART.com
The unique format ...

Please.

JLMannin
08-15-03, 12:16 PM
Let me preface this with the fact that I am a Jourdain fan . . . .

After all his whining earlier this season anout PT blocking him in qualifying, Michel needs to put his car on the pole both weekends.

Put-up or shut-up.

John