PDA

View Full Version : IRL Growth Continues

DaveL
08-14-03, 11:50 AM
Thanks to Tony George's unrelenting efforts to save OW racing and preserve the American oval track tradition, the IRL continues to grow in leaps and bounds. The race at Gateway earned a solid 0.7 rating on its network broadcast. The whole IRL staff is working as hard as they can to get those network ratings down to 0.3-0.4, and only has a few more groups of fans left to alienate so the job is almost done.

Keep up the good work Tony. We knew you could do it. :thumbup:

eiregosod
08-14-03, 12:10 PM
here's something I posted at crapwagon:

This is the famous RPMLastNite report on ESPN Wednesday 24th Sept. 2002 on the EARL's future, where they wrap up the 2002 season and preview the 2003 season!

Here are the main points:

Influx of teams from CART to EARL (traitorous bastards)

2003 is very promising season, series will gain momentum & a lot of fans (unless you call a few hundred a lot!)

competetivness is at an all time high, with half the field getting a pole or a race win, including Sarah DNF-Fisher (COMPETETIVNESS IS AT AN ALL TIME LOW!)

Cars-equal *cough* *cough*

Fan base will be even better in 2003

15-18 top competitive cars, formula is excellent (hasn't happened yet)

average of 0.75 sec average wining time , toughest racing in all the top forms of motorsport (not many close finishes this year, fuel economy runs are more common)

increase in success more fans, more cars (hasn't happened 21 starters is not an increase!) multi-car teams(I think they're scraping the barrel to mention that!)

profit on popularity (good seats still available!)

Move forward, 2 extra manufacturers, Michael ANdretti/Kanaan/Franchitti/Japan race, (they've done a lot )

Cheever: "They (traitor teams/fonda/yoda) will raise the bar a little bit" (Just a bit too far for you to catch up, )

there we have it, ABC/Disney/ESPN expected a lot from the EARL this year, hasn't happened yet, and they wont be sticking around to see if it does!

DaveL
08-14-03, 12:14 PM
And remember kids, the failures of CART are the result of bad management.

The failures of the IRL are everyone else's fault but Tony's.

Just ask Defender. He'll tell ya.

Turn7
08-14-03, 12:18 PM
DaveL,

If you can't remember that, then you must be a malcontent, bleating, c^artisian.

lone_groover
08-14-03, 12:22 PM
Bitter Beer Faces!

----------------------

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or how the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena....who strives...who spends himself....and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring, so that his place shall never be with those cold timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." T.Roosevelt

RichK
08-14-03, 12:35 PM
Ostrich! :mad:

Turn7
08-14-03, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by DaveL

Just ask Defender. He'll tell ya.

Instant Classic! Brought to you by no other than the ever present Pretender. "FOISTED" now there is a word you don't see everyday.

Defender
Flactuant Obnoxicant

quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
All I know is that when c^rt split from the sport, 7 years afterwards, the sport was more popular than it was pre-c^rt and was growing. 7 years after the formation of the IRL, neither is true.

And blaming Tony for that is potentially the most clueless, out of touch, baseless, head-in-the-sand load of cr@p that has ever been foisted by c^rt fans ever since.

DaveL
08-14-03, 12:50 PM
Thanks Turn7 for the quip. Better keep that one in a safe location. I have a feeling we'll be needing it again.

One other thing: When fewer and fewer people are buying the product, then that means that there is really nothing wrong with the product. It's just needs better advertising.

One can learn so much from Lemmings.

cart7
08-14-03, 01:09 PM
Thanks Turn7 for the quip. Better keep that one in a safe location. I have a feeling we'll be needing it again.

One other thing: When fewer and fewer people are buying the product, then that means that there is really nothing wrong with the product. It's just needs better advertising.

One can learn so much from Lemmings.
Hooter/Morgan has become such a bore. These days, landing a couple upper-cuts is easy, what's surprising is, he only counters with cut-n-paste. z-z-z-z-z. He was at least a little amusing before. I'm wondering if it's really him now or some 13 year old fellow T-shirt salesman he talked into taking his place while he pretends to be important at the local stagger inn.

racer2c
08-14-03, 01:39 PM
The lingering question, is there a method to Tony's madness (the France takeover conspiracy theory) or is he just an idiot?

Personally, I subscribe to the latter.

eiregosod
08-14-03, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
Instant Classic! Brought to you by no other than the ever present Pretender. "FOISTED" now there is a word you don't see everyday.

Defender
Petulant Narcissist

quote:
All I know is that when c^rt split from the sport, 7 years afterwards, the sport was more popular than it was pre-c^rt and was growing. 7 years after the formation of the IRL, neither is true.

And blaming Tony for that is potentially the most clueless, out of touch, baseless, head-in-the-sand load of cr@p that has ever been foisted by c^rt fans ever since.

defender is just a cheerleader, I think he's due a personal meltdown when all the facts catch up with him

KLang
08-14-03, 02:30 PM
defender is just a cheerleader, I think he's due a personal meltdown when all the facts catch up with him

It may have already started. Can't figure out how to link to the thread but at TF in the racingbiz forum check out his engine manufacturers thread. :cool:

Treeface
08-14-03, 02:40 PM
The lingering question, is there a method to Tony's madness (the France takeover conspiracy theory) or is he just an idiot?

"I don't know."
"I'm happy with that."

The guy is a friggin' moron. Look at the number of "Indy Style" fans he's managed to turn into rabid advocates/evangalists for CART. These are the folks who bring new blood to the tracks, spent the most money, travel the furthest etc. The IRL and those who have gone to the dark side have consistently dismissed the importance of these fans. Now they're desperately sniffing around road/street racing to bail them out.

cart7
08-14-03, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Type-S
It may have already started. Can't figure out how to link to the thread but at TF in the racingbiz forum check out his engine manufacturers thread. :cool:

TF thread here (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31491)

RichK
08-14-03, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by cart7
TF thread here (http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31491)

I haven't been to TF in a long while, but that thread is hilarious if you know your CART/IRL history. Every bullet point and every complaint about the IRL is exactly what these dumbasses hated about CART.

GOOD!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :laugh:

Ziggy
08-14-03, 09:43 PM
Who's your favorite IRL team? Is it Rahal??? Penske??? Ganassi??? Andretti???

What about your favorite driver
Dixon??? Castro-Neves??? (who would pay money to watch a castro-neves)? DeFerran??? Kannan???

Ok, Ok,ok, which engine manufacture do you pull for??? Honda??? Toyota???? Chevy (er Cosworth)!!!

Leased Japanese engines, Tacobenders, Hobo's, RoadRacers, Foreign Devils, Special Rules for "prefered" teams,

What has changed?

No road racing, NASCAR rules North America

Thanks Tony, Your a very smart guy

Ziggy

nrc
08-14-03, 09:53 PM
I don't follow the IRL but I gather that Barnhart must have found a pit lane somewhere that wouldn't handle 30 cars.

Hink
08-15-03, 03:17 AM
It's all dirttrackers.

Reel 'murrican "dirttrackin'" geneYouSez.

Jus' like Indy was made for. Done been what It come from all along.

Like the guy at Jiffy Lube says, "One Vision, Under Toney, ..."

Foxman
08-15-03, 07:41 AM
It's kind of amusing when you think about the fact that TG said he was creating the IRL for short trackers, and to preserve the tradition of Indy, because CART wanted to make it just another race.. Well guess what Tooney?! You've succeeded in making Indy JUST ANOTHER RACE, check your ratings, Nascab @ the glen beat you soundly. Happy now?

Fox

Racewriter
08-15-03, 09:12 AM
Pathetic, isn't it?

cart7
08-15-03, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Foxman
It's kind of amusing when you think about the fact that TG said he was creating the IRL for short trackers, and to preserve the tradition of Indy, because CART wanted to make it just another race.. Well guess what Tooney?! You've succeeded in making Indy JUST ANOTHER RACE, check your ratings, Nascab @ the glen beat you soundly. Happy now?

Fox

He went further than that. He stated that the foreign manufacturers and the foreign drivers they were bringing with them were endangering the long term ability of the sport to sustain a fan base. That OW racing needed to reconnect to American short trackers to rebuild an oval and Indy centric fan base that was being lost to the up and coming Nascar. The foreign manufacturers were also driving the costs of racing up and that engine leases and exclusive deals were endangering smaller teams from the ability to get the engines they needed to either compete in Cart and especially, the 500.

Hmmm... This describes the IRL today to a T. Ohhh... except that Tony's in charge. :rolleyes: :gomer:

sadams
08-15-03, 09:45 AM
Ohhh... except that Tony's in charge. :rolleyes: :gomer:

And THAT was the only reason for the EARL !!!

DaveL
08-15-03, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Racewriter
Pathetic, isn't it?

Not pathetic, it's tragic.

For all the talk of CART not answering the bell, what the Lemmings (ie: not you) fail to see is that the IRL a couple of teams that can't find sponsorship for next year away from a 17 car field and no chance at a full field for Indy.

If the IRL was something other than the result of a power grab based on a temper tantrum, I betcha the CARTisans might have actually supported it.

Bottom line is that after 9 years (announced in 1994), the IRL STILL hasn't given anyone a coherent reason as to why it was necessary. That is why it is failing, and that is why it continues to lose fans.

Racewriter
08-15-03, 03:35 PM
Not pathetic, it's tragic.

For all the talk of CART not answering the bell, what the Lemmings (ie: not you) fail to see is that the IRL a couple of teams that can't find sponsorship for next year away from a 17 car field and no chance at a full field for Indy.

If the IRL was something other than the result of a power grab based on a temper tantrum, I betcha the CARTisans might have actually supported it.

Bottom line is that after 9 years (announced in 1994), the IRL STILL hasn't given anyone a coherent reason as to why it was necessary. That is why it is failing, and that is why it continues to lose fans.

Hard to get more correct than that. The lemmings are all convinced that CART's dying will fill their fields. I don't think so - I'd imagine that, with Player's pulling out, Forsythe would shut down or go to ALMS. Patrick? Maybe, along with Haas. Outside of that, most of CART's teams are on CARTfare of one form or another, so I can't see them becoming viable IRL entries.

Then, I think D&R and Hemelgarn are on pretty thin ice for continuing next year, and Access may be too. Bottom line - CART dying will add maybe 2-3 net cars to the IRL field.

Peter Venkman
08-15-03, 04:03 PM
"CART dying will add maybe 2-3 net cars to the IRL field."

You are probably right, and I'd bet that there wouldn’t be one new fan from the CART fan base either.

Tragedy brought on my ego.

Peter Venkman
08-15-03, 04:04 PM
"IRL Growth Continues...."

So do tumors....