PDA

View Full Version : 1. David Philips Spells it Out 2. If I ran CART

racer2c
08-14-03, 11:30 AM
Like Mr. Philips so astutely conveys, no matter what happens in the coming weeks, the end of CART as we have known it is over. I also agree with him that I don't believe the rumored buy-out team would risk going forward if they didn't believe that they could make it work.

Article (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/7650/)

If I ran CART today, all future plans aside, I would pull all the stops out on the remaining races. Pump the boost up. Try some standing starts. Keep the yellows to an absolute minimum. If it becomes more and more obvious in the coming weeks that CART is no more in '04, I would market the heck out of a 'last hurrah' race. It will be a sad ending if they just let it fade away into the history books. The drivers deserve more.

CART is dead, long live CART.

:thumbup:

Jag_Warrior
08-16-03, 09:35 AM
As I sadly found out after giving a somewhat passionate (the best that I could do anyway) presentation for preserving a department, bean counters ONLY care about the numbers. Nothing else matters. The words "tradition" and "history" mean nothing. I guess these new guys want to keep CART going, hoping to stabilize it. And that's fine. Maybe they can rebuild it in time, and it will someday reconnect with casual fans on TV. But I'm convinced that the answer isn't in some x/y graph.

Strict numbers are fine. But (IMO) the best business models tend to have built into them a factor which focuses on the needs and wants of the customer. And I haven't seen that race fans (the customers) really care about the logic and reasoning behind all oval racing OR all street racing. I've said it on many boards... it's not CART and/or the IRL that's sucking wind, it's this entire form of racing. It lost touch with portions of the fan base over the years and people have been moving to other sports. TG thought he could push a string... is CART going to try the same thing in the opposite direction? :confused:

But I can see it both ways: 1) Get smaller and make a plan to fight the big battle another day. 2) Get locked and loaded and charge the machine guns one last time - go out in a hail of bullets, smoke and fire. Sort of a "better to burn out than fade away" thing. :cool:

These boys will (I'm sure) take the logical, reasonable approach. But just once, I'd like to see this series start a broadcast with that Neil Young riff (Hey Hey! My My!) and give TG, Bill France, etc. the middle finger at the end... one last time.

cart7
08-16-03, 10:21 AM
It's not Cart anymore, at least not what we were all fans of. Who knows what direction it's going now. But I can definitely feel it now

I..can..feel..it..now

I.......can.....feel.....it....now

....Dave...........Dave...........

I.........can..........

...feel.......it........now.....

Dave............

Dave............

......Daisy.........

......Daisy.........

......give..........

......your..........

......ans...........