PDA

View Full Version : Mid Ohio weekend

Railbird
08-12-03, 10:27 PM
I know it's last weekend but with a bye week what the hell?

The schedule this last week was great for a racefan. I arrived before noon Saturday and was kept busy all day watching on track action. The occasional "pace car activities" gave me just enough time to move from one location to the other. The FF2000 race was very entertaining and the BDPS could have been if the weather and decisions had been more in line.

All in all a very interesting day with changing conditions challenging different classes in their assigned tasks.

Sunday's racing started early with warmups and the Speedy challenge series to entertain while I wolfed down breakfast.

The Atlantics race was both interesting and insightful as we had a chance to watch the best up and comers attack the most physical circuit in the series with a desperate win by a somewhat overlooked challenger.

The Champcar race was without a doubt the most interesting of the year IMO. Player's domination was never left unchallenged by one of the lesser teams participating this year.

RHR proved his and his team's effort to be no fluke and Yimmy hurled the JIMMY car around in what had to be the drive of the year.

as a little cheerleader aside, I don't think I've ever seen fans at any roadcourse get as pumped up as the ones I saw during Vasser's charge.

The folks were into it.

Oh, the weather and the collective bunch of internet acquaintances and old drinking buddies might have added just a touch to the experience.

One of the better roadtrips I've taken lately

RTKar
08-13-03, 07:24 AM
It was my first time at MO, what an interesting circuit. It would be a shame to lose it. Since it was my first time there, I wanted to be everywhere at once and didn't want to miss any session or series on the track. I shot 15 rolls of film. The elevation changes provide some wonderful vantage points for photography. The weekend seemed packed with on track activity. The support races were very entertaining, I was especially impressed by the tin tops. The CARA dinner was fun, spending time with Manning chatting racing, also the cook-out at the campground, standing around listening to old racing stories from some of the best fans around. I hope I have the opportunity to go back to MO.

mello
08-13-03, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by RTKar
I shot 15 rolls of film.
OH NO! Hope there is nothing in them to remind me of anything I might have forgot that I did.
The whole weekend was a total blast. I can't say it any better than you guys already did.

RTKar
08-13-03, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by mello
OH NO! Hope there is nothing in them to remind me of anything I might have forgot that I did.
The whole weekend was a total blast. I can't say it any better than you guys already did.

...well I missed a good shot of you and Dan sliding down the hill almost hitting a tree in the kart, I'm not sure if I took one of you sleeping on the kart in the rain while wearing a poncho, or you telling Manning to stop following you around at the CARA function... was there anything else ???

RaceChic
08-13-03, 10:06 AM
I just hope we don't loose Mid-Ohio from the schedule. Anyone from CART reading this??? Please don't let it go from the schedule!!! :D

pchall
08-13-03, 11:12 AM
And a fine time was had by all.

Until next year...

Same place.
Same weekend.
Same series.

BTW, RaceGrrl and I already have ideas for an even better OffCamber grill out. :)

Warlock!
08-13-03, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by pchall
BTW, RaceGrrl and I already have ideas for an even better OffCamber grill out. :)
Strippers serving the grilled chicken! I can't believe it... I was thinking THE SAME THING!!! Oh... and maybe a little more beer, cause I still vaguely remember everything...

Warlock!

SteveH
08-13-03, 02:37 PM
Was a fantastic weekend. My first time at Mid Ohio, won't be my last as long as CART is there. Nothing beats a CART weekend at a road course. Great to see old friends and meet new ones. And I can't wait until next year when naked babes serve the food. The chicken was pretty damned good with everyone fully clothed. Now my mouth is really watering!!!!

RTKar
08-13-03, 08:29 PM
...and I think I saw BiF lurking in the weeds at the cookout looking for table scraps.

devilmaster
08-13-03, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
...and I think I saw BiF lurking in the weeds at the cookout looking for table scraps.

I thought I saw a gremlin! :eek:

Steve

FCYTravis
08-13-03, 10:16 PM
My thrill of the weekend was waving to the drivers in their trucks from my station on Sunday morning... and seeing none other than MELLO waving back!

That, and yelling "Oh ****!" right in front of Pierre Kleinubing, as another World Challenge car spun off into the Turn 3 gravel trap while I was attending to Pierre's own stricken Acura, which had its rear end embedded in the tire wall.

rosawendel
08-13-03, 10:18 PM
it was my fault(?). i was the walk-up on sunday. i take full responsibility.

it was a pretty good race though, i thought. hopefully, it'll be back. it'd be a shame to lose that race, or cleveland (now that it's also a "self-promoted" event).

JT265
08-13-03, 10:53 PM
No worries, FCY. You sure aren't the 1st person to yell "OH SH**!" to/at Pierre. ;)

nrc
08-13-03, 11:33 PM
Jimmy looked like he was channeling Zanardi this weekend. I wonder how this performance will carry over to the rest of the season for Jimmy and Ryan. Could it be that Jimmy is the first to discover that the "aero push" excuse is a bit lame when you can pull out to pass without worrying about the guy swerving to block you?

This was one of the better races CART has run at MidOhio and probably the most fun we've had on a race weekend ever. Not only did we get to be on the pre-race grid, but I got to take a Fast Lap pace car ride.

Yep, I won a pace car ride in the Mansfield News-Journal drawing. After 25 years of going to Mid Ohio I finally got on the track at something above a walking pace. Seeing the track at speed in a street car gives you a whole new level of respect for those to do it in a Champcar.

http://home.insight.rr.com/nrcaldwell/images/FastLapSm.JPG

I hope everyone got to visit the News Journal tent. We didn't get to hang out there as much this year with so much going on, but they're really nice folks and they continue to do a great job of supporting the event.

mapguy
08-14-03, 09:18 AM
What a stud-muffin.

RaceChic
08-14-03, 09:21 AM
That's a really great picture, nrc!!! Glad you had this opportunity! :D