PDA

View Full Version : hawking the USGP

Napoleon
08-12-03, 07:54 PM
Got my SCCA magazine yesterday and there is a full page letter from Joie Chitwood of IMS hawking the USGP to SCCA members. Its the hard sell. They are blocking out part of the NW Vista for the SCCA, going to give SCCA members an exclusive parking lot next to the track. Ticket sales must suck and as a last ditch effort they must be really trying to pitch to what they see as a core group who would be interested.

In any event I still will not go.

Ziggy
08-12-03, 10:07 PM
I got a bad feeling that I know where that parking lot will be.........

Ziggy

Turn7
08-12-03, 10:30 PM
Is that the same Chitwood that I used to see at the "Thrill Show and Destruction Derby" back in the 70's as a kid? They used to drive Sheetvettes on two wheels, jump it through a cannon, and do zig zags in precision timing?

If so, that'll do it. Get a circus act to try and sell tickets.

pchall
08-12-03, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon

Good for you. More people need to hold the line and keep their wallets closed.

Tony George will not get another dollar from me.

Formula1
08-13-03, 09:14 AM
This years USGP should be good - what with the points battle. Unfortunately - who would want to go to King George's court to watch the race. Sorry - I will not support the IMS.

Dirty Sanchez
08-13-03, 09:25 AM
I'll be there. I go to support F1's return to the US... not TG. I'll scalp a ticket at half price.

Yeah it sucks that TG is involved, but not having F1 in the US (hell, maybe even all of North America now) is worse, imo.

Oh yeah, and it should be a hell of a race this year with the championship being as tight as it is.

RaceChic
08-13-03, 10:03 AM
Crapus is right IMO. With the talk about possibly loosimg the Canadian GP and then loose the USGP, we will not have F1 in North America. Would be nice to see it anywhere but the idiot grandson's sandbox though. I was supposed to be there, but I am going to my best friends wedding. :)

Dirty Sanchez
08-13-03, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
but I am going to my best friends wedding. :) I didn't know you and Anal Ventor were that close? :p

eiregosod
08-13-03, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
Got my SCCA magazine yesterday and there is a full page letter from Joie Chitwood of IMS hawking the USGP to SCCA members. Its the hard sell. They are blocking out part of the NW Vista for the SCCA, going to give SCCA members an exclusive parking lot next to the track. Ticket sales must suck and as a last ditch effort they must be really trying to pitch to what they see as a core group who would be interested.

NW vista is where the crowd has always been strong, is he trying to soften the SCCA if the EARL goes road racing? ;)

WickerBill
08-13-03, 12:47 PM
LOSE, not LOOSE! Please, you're offending me!

Warlock!
08-13-03, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill
LOSE, not LOOSE! Please, you're offending me!
Tags.

Oh... nevermind. That was someone else I'm thinkin' of... ;)

Warlock!

SteveH
08-13-03, 02:47 PM
I was really torn the first year but ordered tickets anyway. I rationalized that most of the money was going to Bernie anyway. I walked into IMS on Friday's practice for the first time since Jacques took the checkers in 1995 and did not get a chill or weep or immediately head to a tenderloin stand. No, I was completely blown away by F1's technology. For a while I forgot all about TG, IMS, the irl and all the other crap that we deal with each season. I was overwhelmed by being in the presence of F1, not being at IMS. I'd hate for IMS to lose the USGP for my own selfish reasons. If you live in the midwest and can attend, I say bite the bullet and show up. Not because you think it supports TG or the irl, but because this IS the top rung of racing and as racing fans we all shold experience it at least once.

F1, its just that good.

RTKar
08-13-03, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by SteveH
I was really torn the first year but ordered tickets anyway. I rationalized that most of the money was going to Bernie anyway. I walked into IMS on Friday's practice for the first time since Jacques took the checkers in 1995 and did not get a chill or weep or immediately head to a tenderloin stand. No, I was completely blown away by F1's technology. For a while I forgot all about TG, IMS, the irl and all the other crap that we deal with each season. I was overwhelmed by being in the presence of F1, not being at IMS. I'd hate for IMS to lose the USGP for my own selfish reasons. If you live in the midwest and can attend, I say bite the bullet and show up. Not because you think it supports TG or the irl, but because this IS the top rung of racing and as racing fans we all shold experience it at least once.

F1, its just that good.

My sentiments exactly and may I add, IF Senna were racing would you attend ?.....Schumacher is, and to be able to see one of the greatest is worth the effort despite the current open wheel climate.

Cam
08-13-03, 10:30 PM
If I can personally witness a screaming V10, I will be there. I don't care where and I dont care about politics. I will never deprive myself of that experience.

Mariofan
08-14-03, 10:42 PM
Though I have the same opinions of Tony as most, I have not missed a single GP at Indy. I love F1 and would mourn its loss from NA. Openwheel has lost enough IMO. It does make me happy in that I don't order tickets anymore but buy scalped tickets. Last year I got $5 under face and sat in the NW Vista.:D Sounds like their will be even more bargains this year.

If you can spend a couple of extra days at the GP, check out practice on the spectator mounds--it is way too cool.

RaceChic
08-15-03, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Crapus
I didn't know you and Anal Ventor were that close? :p

Are we getting married!!??? :laugh: