PDA

View Full Version : How ABC/ESPN Sells IRL Advertising

JoeBob
08-12-03, 04:41 PM
Here's the ABC/ESPN website for Motorsports Ad Sales: http://www.espnabcsportscms.com/adsales/motorsports/index.jsp?content=motorsports_home.html

Under events is: "Indy 500" and "NHRA Series." Sales Materials includes similar information, the Indy 500 and the NHRA Series.

The programming schedule allows advertisers to search all of their motorsports programming. The options there are: All, Drag Racing, Miscellaneous, Motorcyle Racing, and Truck & Tractor. (IRL programming can be found under "Miscellaneous.")

There's always been talk that ABC/ESPN only pays for Indy, and the rest operates as a behind closed door time buy. Is this the smoking gun?

rabbit
08-12-03, 05:09 PM
Post that on TurdForum and count down the seconds til the thread gets nuked.:laugh:

JT265
08-12-03, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
Post that on TurdForum and count down the seconds til the thread gets nuked.:laugh:

turd ? tenderloin?

All the same to me. :D

Napoleon
08-12-03, 07:50 PM
JoeBob, I think, no make that I know you are right. Why else would they be hawking the season package for NHRA but only the 500 for IMS?

Railbird
08-12-03, 08:50 PM
I doubt more than a few hardcores have any doubts that the Indy500 is the payment for the season time buy.

Turn a trick for Nascar to fund the series and then mortgage The Indianapolis 500 to make the note on TV coverage.

Not hard to figure out

cart7
08-13-03, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Railbird
I doubt more than a few hardcores have any doubts that the Indy500 is the payment for the season time buy.

Turn a trick for Nascar to fund the series and then mortgage The Indianapolis 500 to make the note on TV coverage.

Not hard to figure out
It also explains the leagues complete lack of self promotion and ABC's as well. Why would ABC promote the league since they have nothing invested in it. TG and co. can't promote as the entire steam of media/advertising $$ is devoted to the time buys. You'd think someone at 16th and Georgetown would have gotten their panties in a bunch by now regarding the mouse networks complete disregard of anything other than Indy if it was the other way.