PDA

View Full Version : Motorock Part CART Owner?

racer2c
08-12-03, 04:37 PM
Can you say street festival extravaganza?

I hope Motorock understands that first tier musical acts do not include the Goo Goo Dolls or driver bands.

I hope the concert tickets aren't part of a mandatory ticket package. I'll be one po'd fan if I have to buy Puddle of Mud tickets to see a Champ Car race.

I'm keeping faith that Forsyth, as a seasoned owner, will maintain some series integrity throughout this metamorphoses.

Link (http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=motorsportsnews&loc_code=index&content_code=02924108)

Tom Slick
08-12-03, 08:35 PM
This may be a plan to bring in new fans.
But they are chasing me away.
I hate the thought of this great series being reduced to a warm-up act.

Stick to racing or close the doors.

Railbird
08-12-03, 08:44 PM
music acts and general "casual fan" bs is standard fair nowdays.

I'm much more concerned with the venues than the sideshows.

As much as I've defended the concrete canyons over the years I've never wanted to see them as any thing more than a challenging part of a diverse schedule .

JoeBob
08-12-03, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Tom Slick
This may be a plan to bring in new fans.
But they are chasing me away.
I hate the thought of this great series being reduced to a warm-up act.

Stick to racing or close the doors.

FWIW, it sounds like the plan would be to have Trans Am race on Saturday afternoons, the concert on Saturday nights, and the main event on Sunday afternoon. That isn't warm up act territory.

lateralus42
08-12-03, 09:43 PM
Long Beach has been having concerts on Saturday night for a while now. How does that take away from the racing? You either go to the show or you dont. The race will still be on Sunday, same as it ever was.

Methanolandbrats
08-12-03, 10:01 PM
Real racing fans who travel to a proper road racing track and make a weekend of it may be an endangered species. Seems like most people want more and more instant gratification with less and less effort on their part. Somebody throws food out of a window into their car and they think it's a "meal", line their local commuter route with concrete and they think it's a "race"........it's all the same crap.

Formula1
08-13-03, 09:06 AM
I agree with most of you. Road racing is the best form of racing. Should CART turn into almost exclusively street festivals - I think the hard core racing fan will be turned off. Keep all of the road circuits please. I really don't care about the concerts - been there - done that over 25 years ago. Not to many people on tour that I care to see.

racer2c
08-13-03, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by lateralus42
Long Beach has been having concerts on Saturday night for a while now. How does that take away from the racing? You either go to the show or you dont. The race will still be on Sunday, same as it ever was.

As you and others mentioned, concerts and other extra-activity 'happenings' have been a part of many a CART race for many a year. My point is that with Motorock actually owning a piece of CART, I better not have concert tickets dictating my race access.

oddlycalm
08-20-03, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by lateralus42

Here's how. If the concert is responsible for the majority of the attendance, how long until the promoter simply schedules the concert without the unecessary complication and expense of a race...?:eek: While this might not be realistic at Long Beach, I guarantee that it is at several of the CART street venues. Put a 'broad age appeal' band like Tom Petty at Denver, and you draw the same size crowd with no race at all guaranteed.

Borrowed interest is a terrible marketing premise, as anyone that has a single semester of marketing 101 was correctly informed.

oc

Mariofan
08-20-03, 10:12 PM
Motorock sucks and they have lost me as a long time fan if that is the plan. :shakehead

Dr. Corkski
08-21-03, 05:28 AM
First-tier racing would bring a lot more actual racing fans to CART than "first-tier music acts".