PDA

View Full Version : So that's where Shell went - NASCAR

mnkywrch
01-17-03, 08:44 AM
From Jayski:

Shell Lubricants today announced a multi-year product and technical agreement with Robert Yates Racing. As part of the sponsorship agreement, Shell Lubricants will be the exclusive lubricant supplier for the Robert Yates Racing teams. The company's alliance with Robert Yates Racing and its involvement in motorsports provide an opportunity for Shell Lubricants to further strengthen its brand, demonstrate the performance of its products and support its retailers and wholesalers. To highlight the relationship, the official ROTELLA T logo will be prominently displayed on the driver and team uniforms and on the racecars. The placement has the potential to reach 540 million people through races, television coverage and other special appearances. In addition to supplying specialty oil and greases to the Yates team, Shell will provide technical support including oil and engine part analysis in an effort to improve performance. Shell branded lubricants, including engine oils, transmission oil, gear box oils, greases and other products will be used in all Robert Yates Racing race cars. The sponsorship, which kicks off at the 2003 Daytona 500, provides numerous marketing, promotional and networking opportunities for Shell Lubricants as well as for its retailers and wholesalers.

RTKar
01-17-03, 09:19 AM
They've been in Busch in the past, I believe full car sponsorship. I'm not sure about what the situation was last year in NASCAR but this very well could be the dropping of CART sponsorship due to RTO.

pchall
01-17-03, 10:36 AM
Rotella T?

That's their heavy duty truck oil. NASCAR is probably the right marketing tool for them: they run pickup engines there, don't they? ;)

JoeBob
01-17-03, 11:15 AM
Aren't the shell lubricants actually part of Texaco? I know the Havoline Brand left Texaco, and went to Chevron.

Shell Service Stations were the ones sponsoring Team Rahal. They're in the midst of a huge national expansion, and said that they're devoting all of their marketing $$ in the next year to the new markets they're entering. (They were entering Denver around the time of that race last year, and sponsored the race to build awareness there. They're currently doing a big marketing blitz in the Twin Cities, as they're entering this market now.)

mnkywrch
01-17-03, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by JoeBob
Shell Service Stations were the ones sponsoring Team Rahal. They're in the midst of a huge national expansion, and said that they're devoting all of their marketing $$ in the next year to the new markets they're entering.

I've heard that excuse before - for Rachel's Potato Chips...

DaveL
01-17-03, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
I've heard that excuse before - for Rachel's Potato Chips...

I concur. The Rachel's excuse was unbelievably lame when you consider that no CFO would ever fund capital expansion with existing operating cash which is where marketing (sponsorship) dollars are found.

Shell just doesn't want to be in CART anymore and is taking their program to a series that will give it the exposure necessary to justify the expense. If I was a sponsor looking to market in the US, I'd do the same thing. It's about eyeballs looking at the logo and the eyeballs are showing up and tuning to watch the taxis whether we like that form or racing or not.

Don Quixote
01-17-03, 02:16 PM
I assume this all means that Shell is out as the title sponsor for the Denver race. Has there ever been an announcement one way or the other?

chop456
01-17-03, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by pchall
Rotella T?

That's their heavy duty truck oil. NASCAR is probably the right marketing tool for them: they run pickup engines there, don't they? ;)

They DO make a Rotella-T synthetic, though. So that's the hi-tech part. ;) Maybe it's their B2B with the Caterpillar car.

Speaking of NAPCAR sponsorship, Sirius radio declared bankruptcy this week, didn't they?

Napoleon
01-17-03, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Don Quixote
I assume this all means that Shell is out as the title sponsor for the Denver race. Has there ever been an announcement one way or the other?

I thought when the deal was announced it was something like a 3 year deal.

Peter Venkman
01-17-03, 02:46 PM
"they run pickup engines there, don't they?"

I believe so; front drive cars with almost exactly the same body profiles and shape, with truck engines with 60's era carburators, driving the rear wheels.

Yup, real racing.

Ziggy
01-17-03, 02:49 PM
Rachels gave Cheever $75,000 for BOTH cars at Indy. They won, and still got out!

Wonder how much Shell was spending?

Ziggy

PS - shell droping out was discussed after Chicago last year. At the track (and I did not go) some bud's were at a little conference with the fine Shell dealers, and this is when it was announced. That does not make it any better IMO, just that a lightning bolt it aint!

Kiwifan
01-17-03, 03:45 PM
I don't know a thing about the deal with Shell US but I can speak for Shell NZ.

Things are tight. They (Shell) have cut back on spending any money on sponsorship for sport and the Arts. They used to be one of New Zealand's biggest supporters of Motor-sport, cricket, rugby and several lesser events but these days they just spend their money on the Aussie V8s and F1.

Once upon a time we could ask for just about anything for our site and get it. Now we don't even qualify for our 18 month site respray. :( Most of the depots are down to skeleton staffs levels and a fair bit of the work including deliveries is put out to contractors.

I think the days of "old Joe Shell" giving hand outs has long gone. I'm still proud to be one of their dealers but I can tell you, it ain't nearly the same company I joined 25 years ago. :( Still, I guess nothing stays the same, look at our series. Actually, I'm bloody excited about this year so maybe change is a good thing! ;)

Rusty.